Sign in to follow this  
GusTurbo

Mini N1-L3, Russian Moon Rocket

Behold, the Mini N1-L3, the Soviet answer to the Saturn V. Capable of Mun-landing and return to Kerbin, it succeeds where the Russians failed.

Although it's very tall, this is still a miniature craft because it only has a payload capacity of about 30-35 tons to LKO. My attempts to make a full-size version have all met with failure (and absurd part counts). I should also mention that this craft isn't brand new, but I never made its own thread, but I thought it deserved one.

Mission Instructions

1. Toggle SAS, throttle all the way up, and press 4 twice.

2. Treat this exactly as you would any other rocket. Nothing fancy required as far as early gravity turns or anything.

3. After reaching munar orbit, activate the ladders to transfer your "crew" from the LOK (command module) to the LK (lander).

4. Decouple the lander

5. Use the remaining fuel in the stage below the lander to deorbit and slow your descent until it runs out of fuel.

6. Land.

7. Stage to activate the ascent stage.

8. Orbit, rendezvous, and dock.

9. Head home!

Action Groups

1: Jettison Launch Escape System. (Occurs during staging)

2: Jettison payload fairing. (Also occurs during staging)

3: Detach orbital section and descent capsule from the LOK, deploy parachute. Note: This is used for both reentry and the abort sequence.

4(absolutely vital): Toggle gimbal on outer engines. Double tap 4 before launch. This turns off gimbal for the thrusters on the outer ring. To keep it stable without wobbling out of control.

5: Extend ladders to transfer crew from the LOK (command section) to the lander. The last few feet require letting go of the ladder and using the EVA pack to reach the hatch.

6: Extend/retract lander's ladder once on the Mun's surface.

0: Verisimilitude button. Be ready to press...

Backspace: Abort! This fires the launch escape system, which will carry your kerbal up and away from the rocket. After safely clearing the rocket, press 3 to return softly to terra firma via parachute.

Some Pictures:

AyQDMfK.png

nIn8zQg.png

uKEQkHV.png

IpBAN29.png

CwRZ9Cq.jpg

Q2nucwO.jpg

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Craft File:

http://www./view/8lu0o1u67undm48/Mini_N1-L3.craft

Credit to Mulbin for design inspiration on the LK lander and for making the awesome flag.

Edited by GusTurbo
  • Like 1

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means...

(mini)

EDIT: Awesome craft, anyway. My computer would slap me if I tried to run it.

It's 675 parts. Part count rapidly decreases as you drop stages. :)

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means...

(mini)

EDIT: Awesome craft, anyway. My computer would slap me if I tried to run it.

IKR its huge...but it is Mini compared to the real N1.

I handled it with ease. My first try without reading instructions:

Rocket almost wobbled me to death, almost killed crew when transferring to LK lander.

Tried to land just by using the lander without the 2 leftover stages, crashed 2 times.

Mission abort, lander docked back to the Soyuz, return home.

Rocket almost wobbled me to death

thats what you get for not turning off the gimballing on the outer engines... though i made the same mistake when i didn't read the instructions :sticktongue:

I haven't actually tested this since .21, so I probably need to go back and add some reaction wheels and make some other assorted changes to bring it up to date.

Edited by GusTurbo

If only the Russians had known they were supposed to press 4 before takeoff!

correction, soviets :P, lol (i'm being padantic) and it exploded during flight,which the wobble of death can't do to you, maybe flip you and crash into the ground :P

I haven't actually tested this since .21, so I probably need to go back and add some reaction wheels and make some other assorted changes to bring it up to date.

yeah, some power source would be nice, also the second stage's LV-T45 engines run out a bit after the more powerful LV-T30 engines, is that intended? :huh:

Edited by M.Wolfy

No, that was not intended. I didn't have a great grasp of fuel flow when I designed the Mini N1. More improvements to be made! I appreciate the feedback.

Don't worry guys about the power. I looked inside the ship and noticed and RTG inside so we have an infinite amount of Electric charge.

Don't worry guys about the power. I looked inside the ship and noticed and RTG inside so we have an infinite amount of Electric charge.

saw this and checked, yup, its there :P, along with a bunch of hidden fuel tanks :0.0:

Haha, I forgot about those. That part of the ship, the LOK (your Apollo CSM equivalent), was created by Halsfury. Credit where credit is due.

It does, indeed.

Like in this animation:

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/LK_ascent.mov

I think the real lander was supposed to use the same engines for descent and ascent, but I haven't figured out a good way to accomplish that (and I'm not sure it would be beneficial).

Edited by GusTurbo

It does, indeed.

Like in this animation:

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/LK_ascent.mov

I think the real lander was supposed to use the same engines for descent and ascent, but I haven't figured out a good way to accomplish that (and I'm not sure it would be beneficial).

I tried to make the one-engine LK for the Better Stock Craft challenge but it didn't look good and I scraped it.

that lander is sexy :P

Will you also be making a full sized Soyuz LOK? it was designed to carry two kerba... i mean humans. to the moon, though i'm not sure if the N1 actually was planned to take 2 people to the moon, though i just read the launches for the N1, N1 5L destroyed the pad, seriously, that is a seriously powerful explosion, now i wish the Saturn V exploded at least once so we could compare it :P

EDIT: it also reminds me of something mulbin would design

Edited by M.Wolfy

Alas, the verisimilitude button for the Mini N1 is far less dramatic than the Munstrosity -- instead of exploding, it replicates a multiple engine failure, causing the rocket to fall to the ground. Here's a screenshot of the Launch Escape System doing its job after an induced failure:

GjtQKgm.jpg