Things you've become good at because you are terrible at something else.

Unistrut

Exactly what it says on the tin.

I've docked spacecraft around more planets and moons than some people have visited. Why? Because I am terrible at figuring out how much fuel I'll need and invariably wind up stranded at my destination with an empty tank and have to dispatch a fuel barge.

So, what skills have you developed to a high degree to compensate for being absolutely dreadful at something else?

Getting into orbit. Goddamn orbiting is the hardest thing for me. While I'm there, I can do anything (like get into a hyperbolic orbit around Laythe and Duna, only to run out of fuel on the circularization burn).

Edited by NASI Director

My standard rover design is nigh on indestructable because I kept crashing.

I've had rockets that didn't go right during launch, and the whole lower stage decided to explode and fly into the rover at max thrust. Everything but the cockpit (thanks to parachutes) and the rover (somehow) survived hitting the ground. A headlight did fall off though.

Hmmm... I guess Munar landings without RCS as I inevitably will hit the wrong way with RCS to try cancel lateral movement after my deceleration burn, so these days I just wave my landers arse around until the retrograde marker is in the middle of the nav ball indication little to no lateral movement and land nice and softly (probably inefficient in fuel).

I became great a docking because I couldn't land on the moon. So in an act of desperation I was building Walker Station to take lander to the moon and land them. Then I discovered asparagus staging and abandoned it. I still have plans to put more landers and take it to the moon.

i landed on almost every planet and moon, all the manned missions comeback to kerbin and even more, but i was never been able to dock! ugh i just got to the Rendezvous part but i NEVER been able to dock, the only time i docked two ships was in a apollo style mission, but after landing i couldn't dock again :(

I've become insanely good at getting things off of Kerbin because I'm just awful at making them explode on the way up. :P

On a more serious note, I've never really had any sort of aptitude for spaceplanes (probably because of their tendency to flip out and kill you on a whim), but my rocket design and flight skills are top notch.

I've become super ultra mega good at very quick, precise, and efficient rotation/attitude control...

...To compensate for my horrible inability to balance my RCS thrusters well, so when I try to translate, I rotate all over the place, so I've gotten very good at correcting quickly, efficiently, and precisely.

I just got a joystick, though. All my previous skill has been thrown out the window, time to adapt yet again...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.