Jool: The Probe Invasion (BIG IMAGES AHOY)

I haven't been to Jool before. So many people make comments about it that I become slightly saddened that there is no Jool transfer window nearby.

However, a Jool hohmann-transfer (with mid-course plane change) is fast approaching - according to a website that I can't remember the name of, it arrives in approximately 39 kerbal days; just over a kerbal month.

So, in this thread, I will be preparing, sending, and exploring the Joolian system, probe-style (since I send probes everywhere and not kerbals - safer, cheaper and I have some pretty good probe designs anyway.)

It will be updated over time, with links to each stage of development.

Hopefully, you will enjoy the journey as much as I do!

Edited by FlandersNed

I plan on having 2 probes being sent to the Joolian system. However, this is subject to change.

First up is the Probe Land and Return probe, unofficially named Someplaces Probe Mk.4.

4TU1pRa.jpg

The probe by itself has 10.5km/s of total delta v when it gets to the nuke stage. However, I plan on going all around the Joolian system, and I am afraid that the 7.4km/s of total delta-v and the 5.5km/s of delta-v in the nuke/landing stage that it would normally arrive with won't cut it. So, I have made some adjustments to the stage that normally gets it into LKO.

fRZK8o1.jpg

The orbit stage now has docking ports that allow it to be refuelled while in orbit. It has about 2334m/s of delta-v while full in orbit, which should be enough to get me to the Joolian system with enough fuel to deorbit it once it arrives.

It also has many solar panels due to the lower amount of sunlight at Jool.

I will be using this to fuel it in LKO:

0Gxs9MI.jpg

I will test it beforehand to make sure it can move around various Kerbin orbits using the RCS thrusters alone.

It also has many solar panels, but this is only so that it can power the lights at the top:

tO7LaF1.jpg

I am actually waiting for 0.21 to come out before I send it (it being Probe Land And Return) into orbit as the addable reaction wheels will be a nice touch to the kind-of-slow-to-move probe.

The second probe is pretty much the stock Rover + Skycrane but adapted for a Laythe drop, along with a delivery rocket.

cKhtR71.jpg

The only real difference between it and the stock one is the addition of an extra toroidal fuel tank on the skycrane part and a parachute for an easier landing.

HO7AiFG.jpg

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right?

Anyway, that's all for now. What do you guys think about the designs? Should I think about sending a plane to Laythe as well, or should I build a design for one moon in particular?

Edited by FlandersNed

• 1 month later...

It has been a while since I last updated this thread, but an update is sorely needed.

Since the last post, I have changed the Probe Land And Return so that it only used reaction wheels to turn. This removed the RCS tanks from the design, giving the probe a delta-v/TWR boost.

The tanker design has been changed to have more fuel.

The rover design has not been changed.

I have also designed a Laythe UAV/rover which is currently going through testing.

So far, it has passed the rough and smooth landing tests, as well as an atmospheric reentry test.

Next will come a speed test and a range test.

Pictures of the designs will be uploaded soon.

My question to you guys is: should I consider making something for Tylo?

I'm a noob when it comes to Jool and its moons, but what I can say is: If you moving all this gear there, add something for Tylo as well. Always go to the limits, and only play safe when there is a manned expedition.

I like your most of you designs, but being and old man i like more "slick" looks, all those RCS tanks and batteries on the sides makes me cringe a bit. They all look very functional tho.

If I may suggest something, there is a mode of procedural fairings, which apart from looking cool, you can use their bases to hide all these bits and have a more "real" looking rockets.

Looking forward for more posts on your mission.

I'm a noob when it comes to Jool and its moons, but what I can say is: If you moving all this gear there, add something for Tylo as well. Always go to the limits, and only play safe when there is a manned expedition.

I like your most of you designs, but being and old man i like more "slick" looks, all those RCS tanks and batteries on the sides makes me cringe a bit. They all look very functional tho.

If I may suggest something, there is a mode of procedural fairings, which apart from looking cool, you can use their bases to hide all these bits and have a more "real" looking rockets.

Looking forward for more posts on your mission.

I see your post about suggesting a Tylo Probe and fairings, and I raise you a Tylo probe with stock fairings.

cqYwSqq.jpg

smQ1xta.jpg

It looks a little different than when this was taken but it is almost the same.

Good news for those concerned!

The PLAR system is in orbit and is fully fuelled, meaning it is ready for a trip to the Jool system!

Also, testing for the Laythe UAV is close to an end.

Here is an imgur album of the launch and refueling of the PLAR, as well as a show of a test run of the Laythe UAV.

(It will have text soon)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.