Landed on the Mün!

So excited and proud that I made it to the Mün!

Anyways, not sure why but my flag exploded, also, how do I get more?

Where should I go next? I have thought about minmus, but I feel like going further, any suggestions?

Congratulations!!!! Always good to see a New KSP'er getting into the groove. Yeah, only 1 Flag per Kerbal on each Mission. I'd suggest going to Minmus next as it can be abit trickier to land as it's lower gravity and high ridges, and do some Space Stations and Moon Bases. 1 thing about KSP is it's best not to rush into the larger stuff until you have the smaller stuff down pat.

Congradulations! I remember how difficult my first time was; landing on the Mün is no easy task!

But I'd say a Minmus landing shouldn't be to difficult. You can probably do it with the same vehicle you used to get to the Mün. After that, I'd recommend stations and interplanetary probes. I haven't gotten to far into either, though.

So, go boldly where no Kerbal has gone before! Let nothing stand in the way of the mighty Kerbal Rocketocracy!

Remember that Minmus is at a slight angle off the system's ecliptic. Make sure you align to Minmus before leaving Kerbin orbit (I still forget at times and end up in a crazy orbit around Minmus. Just target Minmus and then burn when when you reach the AN or DN nodes.

Basically the Moon is at 0 degrees while Minmus is at 6 degrees. Have a read of this... http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Tutorial:How_to_get_to_Minmus

It's not hard... and when you get to Minmus prepare for slow motion fun. The gravity is so low you can do craaaaaazy things. I once crashed on Minmus and it took about 5 minutes for the bits to finally land lol.

Edit: Oh yeah... forgot to say congrats on your first (of many) Mun landings. I still love landing on the Mun. I keep saying that I will have to make a huge target to practice precision MANUAL landings.

Edited by NeoMorph

Good work on the Mün landing.

Minmus is a good target because you have to learn how to do a plane-change maneuver.

If you want to go further, I'd recommend sending an unmanned rover probe to Duna or Eve so that you can get practice in doing interplanetary trajectories before sending kerbals.

Congrats!

I too brought back my first two Kerbals to set foot on another body only yesterday!

Next step will be learning to aim probes at other planets and designing an interplanetary spaceship.

Well done on getting to Mun!!

Not sure why your flag exploded, but you can get more. Just climb back into your lander and then get out again. I think there is an infinite flag dispenser in the command pods, I just planted a small forest of flags with one guy to test that. Getting back into the command pod also refuels their pack fuel.

Congratulations! As for the flag, that happened to me as well. Seams to have to do with a precision error clipping it into the ground when the physics get loaded.

You might want to try planting it a few meters away from that location, then switching to the tracking station and back again to make sure it's safe.

The Mun is still my all time favorite destination. Always fills me with desire to see us go back there, and I want to know what it felt like for people sitting there in 1969, watching Neil Armstrong step off the LEM. God I love this game

I want to know what it felt like for people sitting there in 1969, watching Neil Armstrong step off the LEM. God I love this game

I can help you out there - kind of...

I watched Neil Armstrong step off the LEM in '69 but I was too young to properly appreciate what was happening. I do remember our TV was this ancient valve ( tube, if you are American ) set from the 50's which had a screen the size and shape of a goldfish bowl and would start to smoke if left on for more than a couple of hours :)

The Apollo program was almost over before I understood much about the practical realities of space travel, but that fantastic moment in '69 planted a seed in my brain that resulted in a lifelong interest in rockets, spaceflight and astronomy.

Funnily enough I landed Bill and Jeb on the Mun yesterday, for the first time. I'm only using Gemini parts at the moment, so it was kind of like Apollo :)

I 'eyeballed' parts of the trajectory though and used too much fuel - resulting in them being stranded in Kerbin orbit on the return trip. But I sent up a probe to dock with their capsule so they could use it's engine to de-orbit and get home safely.

Not sure what my next step is...but I know it'll be fun...

Congrats on Mun landing!

You could try getting a remote (non-Kerbal controlled) rover to the Mun, and drive around a bit!

This was my first mission which I accomplished the other day. I managed to finally land a rover on the moon after about 5 attempts and modifications, but I came in to horizontal so my wheels exploded and the rover flipped on it's side. Luckily two wheels still were attached(but were broke), still I was able to use them to flip it upright. So I turned it into a probe and turned the wheels off lol. But I semi-successfully landed on the moon heh.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.