Will we be able to import .crafts to .21 from .20?

Sigma117

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/38711-Will-0-20-saves-be-broken-by-KSP-0-21-Devs-please-answer?p=496809&viewfull=1#post496809

While we've been able to maintain compatibility over the last couple of updates, unfortunately this one isn't such a case. The new crew management system changed the format for saving crews (to something much better), and the new format isn't compatible with the old version. Instead of risking breaking things even more by writing some sort of upgrade logic, we decided it was better to just break compatiblity and start fresh.

:)

That's about the saves being broken. .Craft files have nothing in them about the crew. That doesn't happen until you go to launch... Nothing they have said about what will be in the update indicates that the ship designs will be unable to be copied over. Obviously you'd have to copy them over manually.

But... in that post he did mention that they were going to tweak other things... and that some or all of those things would be talked about soon. Those unknown things might effect .craft files or they might not. I don't anticipate that they will but we shall see.

Craft files are still compatible. The only thing that needed to break was save compatibility.

Your creations should be safe... Assuming of course it's not using mods that might themselves break, or something else... compatiblity is never simple.

In any case I've been using the same stock ships here as always for testing, and they didn't give us any trouble so far.

Cheers

That's about the saves being broken. .Craft files have nothing in them about the crew. That doesn't happen until you go to launch... Nothing they have said about what will be in the update indicates that the ship designs will be unable to be copied over. Obviously you'd have to copy them over manually.

But... in that post he did mention that they were going to tweak other things... and that some or all of those things would be talked about soon. Those unknown things might effect .craft files or they might not. I don't anticipate that they will but we shall see.

Craft and save files use the same file format. If that changes, not just the content, all craft files break as well unless a converter is provided/created.

Craft and save files use the same file format. If that changes, not just the content, all craft files break as well unless a converter is provided/created.

Well, in 0.17 only saves were broken, so I don't think breaking saves mean breaking .crafts.

Saves use a .sfs format, while craft files use a .craft format. The only time crafts are stored under a .sfs format is when they are saved as a vessel in the persistent or quicksave files.

Craft files are still compatible. The only thing that needed to break was save compatibility.

Your creations should be safe... Assuming of course it's not using mods that might themselves break, or something else... compatiblity is never simple.

In any case I've been using the same stock ships here as always for testing, and they didn't give us any trouble so far.

Cheers

Will there be a fundamental incompatibility with .21 saves and .20 saves that renders them completely incompatible or would it be feasible for me to write a conversion script to convert the differences in the persistents file?

Cheers

phew, thanks Harv! I don't mind saves being nuked if the craft are ok. Is it likely that mods will be hit as hard as with the last update or is that impossible to say?

Will there be a fundamental incompatibility with .21 saves and .20 saves that renders them completely incompatible or would it be feasible for me to write a conversion script to convert the differences in the persistents file?

As Harv said, the main issue with compatibility between 0.20 and 0.21 will be the way crews are maintained in the files, so you could potentially change the crew saving formats used in 0.20 and before to the format 0.21. However, he also mentioned that doing this could cause weirdness in the game so it may not be the best option. Even so, I'd be very interested if you could figure out a way to convert previous saves to the new 0.21 format. :)

Hopefully this update won't break any part mods as without KW and NovaPunch I won't have any functioning rocket designs left. And since crew is whats making the save incompatible if all I had was debris and flags floating around would the save still work? Or do saves have something in them at creation that makes them incompatible?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.