Can anybody help a newbie get started?

I'm pretty new, trying to get into orbit and then on the Mun. I love this game sofar, it just is very overwelming lol. I'm not sure how to attach my rover i downloaded to a rocket to get it to the Mun if i could. Is there a way to copy the whole rover and then paste it onto a rocket and attach? Or could someone point me to a rocket that can get there, with a rover, and a crew fairly easy. I hope to learn more, very hard game =P

Edited by Bassna

Hey, welcome to the forums! :D

Alright so you're trying to send a rover to the Mun? Well if you want to paste a rover to the top of a rocket, there's no way to do it with the stock game. However, a mod like Subassembly Manager would allow you to create a rover, save it, then create a rocket, and load that rover to attach it to the top of the rocket. Alternatively, you can simply build the rover, then build the rocket under.

If you would give a screenshot of the rover you downloaded, I could help you further. Depending on it's weight, it could only necessitate a really small rover to get to the Mun :)

Edited by stupid_chris

Thanks, ATM im trying to use this,

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/35176-0-20-2-Munshine-V-Another-Bloody-Apollo-Style-Spacecraft-%28but-light!%29

But once i detach first rockets when they run out, i get a little farther up, and try to keep it steady but it always starts to spin and then once it spins, nothin i can do =P. The rover i want to get to the moon though, is this.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/38662-The-Super-Rover-V3-1-%28new-version!%29?highlight=Super

Hi, I second subassembly manager. I was using subassembly loader for a long time, and it's pretty much an essential for modularizing rocket designs.

If you're looking for a lander you can take for a spin or pick apart and look at, there's one linked in my signature called igaluk, which includes a rocket.

For more information on rocket design and launching, also check out my linked tutorial on the subject. It's long, but will cover everything you need to know to be building and launching your own rockets easily and efficiently in no time.

As a new player myself, let me offer some suggestions:

Start small and take steps to get started. Work on being able to get off the launchpad, and then work on getting into orbit, then a stable circular orbit.

Learn to use the maneuver node. You can do a lot with it, once you get used to it.

Do the tutorials, repeatedly if you need too, until you get the basics down.

Takes things step by step. Racing for the Mun before you can easily get yourself into a stable orbit isn't going to help you much.

That's a rather complex rocket you're using there, I don't think it gives much room for errors, so as people suggested, you might want to start with smaller steps. Did you try landing a single pod on the Mun? That would be your very first step if you want my opinion. Actually, you might want to shoot for Minmus first. It further, but easier to land on.

I second stupid_chris, go for a simpler rocket till you get the hang of what is going on. That rocket is far too complex for a beginner.

Obligatory Scott Manley tutorial video. All newb questions tread have to have one linked by the informal rules of the forum.

If you would like some step by step Q&A my username on steam is USN-BrokeAsAJoke. I would be happy to stream and chat with you for some learning sessions, or if you have the ability to stream i could also watch you and lend some helpful advice. I didn't see anyone suggest Scott Manley yet in this post but if you haven't watched his youtube video's yet I definitely recommend them. He's pretty much the go-to guy for new KSP players.

Thanks for all the replys. I finally got the moonshine into orbit! =D I will try one of the easier ships though also. My orbit isnt very even, going to try to fix that. I was having trouble last night trying to get it to change the course once i had set the maneuver.

Okay dude, I am not trying to be rude, but I have been in this community since August 2011. All the questions you want to ask, have been asked hundreds of times before on these forums. A simple search will provide you all the answers you need. Sorry, but I am getting kind of sick of people who only bought the game 5 days ago, complaining about the game, asking "Hey guiz when u addin new planets?????" or "When wil u add multiplayer? dis gaem is stoopid :)". I know you didn't say that, but I am getting kind of tired of seeing this stuff. Google exists. Use it.

Yup, Orange7093, because you're in the community since August 2011 doesn't mean there can't be new players around who don't know much about the game.

Sure, lots of questions have been answered already, but this place is often the one new players post in first, as their knowledge about the game is still relatively incomplete.

We all were new once, so we have to accept that new people don't necessarily know how to get to the Mun.

Bassna didn't even mention the word multiplayer, and didn't talk about other planets, so your comment is kind of uncalled for.

Oh, and welcome to the forums Bassna :)

I'm pretty new, trying to get into orbit and then on the Mun. I love this game sofar, it just is very overwelming lol. I'm not sure how to attach my rover i downloaded to a rocket to get it to the Mun if i could. Is there a way to copy the whole rover and then paste it onto a rocket and attach? Or could someone point me to a rocket that can get there, with a rover, and a crew fairly easy. I hope to learn more, very hard game =P

First learn to orbit.

Then, learn to reach the Mun.

Then, learn to land a probe on the Mun.

Then, learn to land a manned ship on the Mun and bring it back.

Then, learn to get a rover onto the Mun's surface.

Don't try to skip those steps, or it will just end in frustration.

Bassna didn't even mention the word multiplayer, and didn't talk about other planets, so your comment is kind of uncalled for.

Yeah, that is why I said "I know you didn't say that, but I am getting kind of tired of seeing this stuff".

I was trying to be as polite as possible, but I am pretty sure, you would get sick of seeing the exact same questions over and over again for several months all the while, there are hundreds of videos on Youtube explaining how to do the tasks, and hundreds of threads explaining how to do them as well. I just find it unnecessary to have threads like this when a simple Google search will suffice.

I was more than polite in my genuine criticism, and the fact he used a schoolboy reply such as "Good for you ^^" further reinforces the fact that the newer members cannot understand constructive criticism.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.