What way is up? Node issues....

Ok, I just plain dont understand how to set nodes. I have seen several explinations, but none seem to work right for me.

Im using Blender to model and then Unity to set the part up. I have finaly managed to get parts ingame facing the direction I want (most the time lol) but this node buissness boggles the mind!

Can someone point me in the direction of a node tutorial that makes sense and actually works.

Dont know if it matters but i model to size in Blender and then use following for config:

scale = 1

resacaleFactor = 1

Thanks in advance =)

Lemme see if i understand you properly.....

In Blender i get the global median for each face i want to have a node on. The in the config when setting nodes I just swap the input #s for Y and Z axis?

edit: also what is the meaning of the 'um' looking symbol in blender...thats smaller than centimeters? I think thats kinda messin me up on this too...

Edited by KhaosCorp

Well, still clueless =)

Let me ask maybe something a bit more simple that will help. Where should I be looking for messurments to base my node placement off of?

The tutorial i was using said to get them from blender, but none of those are even close in my test part.

Sorry for my noobness, I really seem to be struggling with this and cant find the right info.

You may need to zero out the position of some objects in unity. you can simply rotate the item 90 degrees in unity to adjust for the y-axis being vertical. You want the part tools object to have the y axis pointing up. objects like ladders or thrustTransforms may face other directions (z pointing in or z pointing down). edit: your node placement will be relative to the origin in unity.

Edited by Nazari1382

You may need to zero out the position of some objects in unity. you can simply rotate the item 90 degrees in unity to adjust for the y-axis being vertical. You want the part tools object to have the y axis pointing up. objects like ladders or thrustTransforms may face other directions (z pointing in or z pointing down). edit: your node placement will be relative to the origin in unity.

Ah ok, thats whats gettin me, Im trying to get initial messurements relative to the origin in Blender. Guess its time to learn to select faces of my models in Unity.

Awesome, thanks so much for help all =)

It's also a good idea to zero out your root geometry in Blender before exporting. (0 in the X, Y, and Z transform, rotation, and scale) I don't use Blender but I think there are options to set the scale and axis conversion on export.

Also, here is a vid that may be too comprehensive, but seems to cover every aspect from Blender to Unity.

http://cgcookie.com/unity/2011/12/05/exporting-characters-from-blender/

It's also a good idea to zero out your root geometry in Blender before exporting. (0 in the X, Y, and Z transform, rotation, and scale) I don't use Blender but I think there are options to set the scale and axis conversion on export.

Also, here is a vid that may be too comprehensive, but seems to cover every aspect from Blender to Unity.

http://cgcookie.com/unity/2011/12/05/exporting-characters-from-blender/

Too comprehensive is ok, ill take away what i can and come back to it later.

And thinking about it now i honestly dont think i recentered everything before i exported from blender. I also noticed when i make an empty game object in unity its a tad offcenter too.

Thanks for the link and info Farns!

Too comprehensive is ok, ill take away what i can and come back to it later.

And thinking about it now i honestly dont think i recentered everything before i exported from blender. I also noticed when i make an empty game object in unity its a tad offcenter too.

Thanks for the link and info Farns!

No worries, you don't have to zero out every part, just your root part (ie for my launchpad I only zero the sphere, platform and all else retains offset from sphere). If your empty game object is off-center, you can re-center it before importing your object by zeroing the values in Unity. If your object is not zero coming from Blender, it may be offset, but showing "0" in the translation, rotate, and scale info boxes.

Also I saw an older post from a few days ago in another thread, if you haven't figured it out yet, the way I do colliders is to export the collider from 3d program as a separate object, then set as child of main object in unity. Add a mesh collider, tick convex, and turn off mesh rendering to hide it from view. You can also remove the animation component from the collider if it is not animated itself.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.