What's your favourite "old" game?

joppiesaus

... Im somewhere in between Half Life 1 and Battlefield 1942 actually, those 2 games are AWESOME!

Half Life 1 is because the beautiful gameplay combined with a nice story, the puzzles they put require more than some simple thinking, the enemies aren't 1-shot-kill things, they actually take effort to kill, and the variety of enemies to fight is awesome! Half Life 2 dissapointed me as the story is crappy and the variety of enemies is EXTREMELY LOW, like i mean, you can only kill 6 or 7 different enemies in the WHOLE GAME, HL1 had like 20 of them.

Battlefield 1942, it is, and will ever be, my favorite Battlefield, whatever it is on the map, you can drive it or use it, may it be a fighter aircraft, a tank, an AA gun or an aircraft carrier, you can enter it and do whatever you want with it, i also like the huge variety of maps the game has, and not even that, the expansions give you MORE maps, vehicles and weapons. Its just awesome.

God, I haven't thought about 688 Attack Sub in ages. That was a good game. I liked Battlefield 1942 as well. Always wanted to try the WWI mod for that but could never get it to work.

My favorite old games are Silent Service and Microsoft Close Combat. Luckily, there is finally a new version of the latter from Slitherine.

Good to see some actual "old" games getting mention! Ah, CGA games....

If you liked Silent Service I recommend Silent Hunter IV, tho like another game it takes a few mods to make it really good!

There is another CGA DOS game I played, but I cannot recall the title. A rather original plane simulator. There were a horizontal split screen, one part is side view of your plane, other is top view. And you have to control plane in both axis, looking to two screen parts at once. I never learned to play this game more then few seconds, always crashed into terrain or other planes. My mind was not twisted and weird enough to control two 2D planes at once. :D

Lot's of great games in this thread, it's been a real kick in the nostalgia's looking through these posts :)

I've played pretty much all of them but due to reasons of OS, broken or lost disks etc. there aren't many I can still play.

The oldest games currently on my drive are Alpha Centauri and (GL)Frontier

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7YidHeArAwmL5YH2r8Nb7I-ZOmpVzd6duStOAZ67GKRlbYe28

hqdefault.jpg

Guest Fyre Flare

Definitely the first Europa Universalis.

I got It when I was 3, So I always got annexed by either France, England or Spain.

When I turned 9 I got the hang of It and conquered the world!,

Good Times, Gooood Times.

UFmKHQx.png

Uauqy9P.jpg

I tried writing a response to this thread, and it turned into a giant catalog of my family's GW-BASIC and MS-DOS library. I forced myself to limit by games I launched from the command line (sorry, BASIC and boot-up) and then tried to think of which one I spent the most time on.

The clear winner was TIE Fighter. It's hard to explain how awesome it was to find a good 3d space sim, and on top of the technology (dynamically-transitioned, continuous soundtrack, anyone?), the training and campaign setup was pretty neat. The best part, though, was the story! Zahn had just finished the Thrawn trilogy, and LucasArts folded in Thrawn himself (as well as some of the new Zahn technologies and other lore) as your commander for certain campaigns. It doesn't get much better than that. Who needs textures, anyways?

Edited by TythosEternal
Typos, of course!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.