What's your favourite "old" game?

joppiesaus

I've been an avid gamer since the Atari 2600 days, and for my tastes the best games ever made were System Shock 2 and Thief 2. Both have been updated to work reliably on modern Windows PCs and are available dirt cheap from GOG and Steam.

One tip: With either game, start by making a keyboard cheat-sheet or remapping all the keys to suit yourself. These games come from before FPS controls were standardized. If you try just diving in you'll likely miss some really useful commands like leaning around corners.

Enjoy!

STUNTS

a 1990 pre 486 racing game. A roomate and i would often design killer tracks for eachother. Nothing better then doing a ramp jump into a double loop with a tunnel in the middle, then entering "GOD DAMN YOU <name>!" into the high scores when you finally are able to finish the track after about 10 minutes of real time driving

the other was the old classic "X-wing" game by totally games. my roomate and i would often have sessions where one would be the pilot an have the joysitck, while the other would have the over complicated keyboard and be the "R2 unit". in the first tour of duty mission "ID Recon" we would follow the mission orders and try to do the mission without killing the annoying TIE fighters following us. The object was to fly close to the freighters and cause the following tie fighters to crash into them. the common tactic was to transfer all power to engines and see how close you could get to other space craft

The whole idea of creating a "game within a game" was pivotal for my nostalgia for old games

Edited by kinnison

I've been an avid gamer since the Atari 2600 days, and for my tastes the best games ever made were System Shock 2 and Thief 2. Both have been updated to work reliably on modern Windows PCs and are available dirt cheap from GOG and Steam.

One tip: With either game, start by making a keyboard cheat-sheet or remapping all the keys to suit yourself. These games come from before FPS controls were standardized. If you try just diving in you'll likely miss some really useful commands like leaning around corners.

Enjoy!

What is a thought compared to the mind? That game is difficult and terrorizing. I should really finish it, but those god damn suicide drones and *monkeys* are impossible.

Hey, for all of you guys who listed X-Wing or Tie Fighter as one of your oldies-but-goodies: LucasArts just released both of them, recompiled for modern computers, on GOG for $9.99 each. I know what I'm doing tonight. :)

http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_xwing_special_edition

http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_tie_fighter_special_edition

How can I choose just 1 game?

Starcraft I, Warcraft II & Heroes III were the coolest games ever. Was never particularly good at any of them though xD

Also Diablo I & II, Doom I & II, Raptor:Call-of-the-Shadows, and I don't suppose anyone has heard of microsoft's "Fury3"?

Then there is Earthworm Jim I & II, and Ristar.

...Is Metal Slug 3 an old game?

What is a thought compared to the mind? That game is difficult and terrorizing. I should really finish it, but those god damn suicide drones and *monkeys* are impossible.

One way around the suicide bots is the psi skill that shields you in flame. Their explosions don't hurt when that psi power is active. If that isn't available practice the timing. When you get close enough the bot will stop, shake, then explode. With a little practice you can sprint into their range and back out before the explosion.

With monkeys, I zigzag until they shoot once, then charge straight in, crouch, and melee.

Sounds like you're on Engineering deck? Another useful tactic there is using the elevator platforms as a weapon. When you have several mobs chasing you, run to an elevator and go up one level. Then step off, and you can lower the elevator onto the mobs, crushing them. Works pretty well, with some patience, on those larger bots.

Have fun!

Hey, for all of you guys who listed X-Wing or Tie Fighter as one of your oldies-but-goodies: LucasArts just released both of them, recompiled for modern computers, on GOG for $9.99 each. I know what I'm doing tonight. :)

http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_xwing_special_edition

http://www.gog.com/game/star_wars_tie_fighter_special_edition

Oh fudge... TIE Fighter or Beyond Earth? Why is there so little time on the day!?

Old, as in really old: Sterne wie Staub (presumably named after Asimov's "The Stars like Dust") from 1989 on the C64.

An interstellar empire strategy game akin to Master of Orion, played with a joystick to navigate the menues.

You colonized or invaded planets, the star systems were displayed with the simplest graphics (see screenshots here) and you basically just entered numbers of what to built, how many soldiers, slaves or resources to transfer between fleet and planet or to order fleets around.

There was no tech-tree, battles simply displayed "Krieg" (war) in the middle of a black screen while the good old C64 crunched numbers, but it kept me playing for hours.

Old, as in not 21st century: Civilization (the first of its name) from 1991 and X-COM: UFO Defense from 1994 on PC.

Do I really have to write anything here? :D

• 4 weeks later...

Mine was DOD (Day of Defeat), a mod for Half-Life. I can't even total the hours I've spent playing it - thousands. I got started with it around 1999/2000 or so. I belonged to a clan called Clan FoKKeR, I was known as [-FoK-]Gen.LordFerret ... FoKKeR was one of the oldest surviving DoD clans out there ... many old friends from that era. Got hooked up with a gaming community known as MammaJamma's ... we had the #1 rated 24/7 Avalanche server in the world (GeoRanks) for like 5 years straight, fast respawn and gun mods. I eventually became a moderator for MJ's, and then after a few years one of our 4 Uber-Administrators. I also used to host two different DoD servers, one of which was the 20-player Old Skool Customs - a super fun hit ... nothing but the best of custom maps. This was all pre-Source. I still hold the domain name for MJ's. I still have the last set of forums backups before the site folded (2008/2009?). I miss it. Most of all, I miss my clan brothers. ;.;

MJ's forum banner...

xE91Zk6.jpg

Clan FoKKeR emblem...

sdcpDEe.png

Ferret's warning (lol)...

XWbRWIE.jpg

Honorable mention for a valued friend: RIP [-FoK-]Lil-Shyster ... you will never be forgotten. ;.;

WH6vkjn.jpg

Edited by LordFerret
Resize image(s)

Im torn between this and Pokemon: Emerald. But I choose this game. I absolutely love this game, and have been replaying it recently, but I have to stay with this. It has many aspects from the original LOZ, Link to the Past, Ocarina of Time, and takes place in the same timeline as Windwaker. This is by far the one of two favorite games ever, and on my favorite mobile console.

rbmeYjN.jpg

Sega Rally 2? Hell yes.

Also, Carmageddon ;)

Shameless plug: GOG.com is a gold mine.

A quick couple of levels of DooM is also a great way to wait out that long interplanetary burn...

Edited by steve_v

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.