What's your favourite "old" game?

joppiesaus

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎13‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 3:29 AM, PhylumCnidaria said:

EVE Online is coming up on it's 11th birthday, and it's still a thriving MMO.

I've been clean for nearly 10 years now.  Just taking it one day at a time...

Graphics would probably look rubbish if I could get them to run on modern machines (I'm sure someone's done a version that'll run), but I absolutely loved X-Wing and TIE Fighter.  IGN voted TIE fighter the third best PC game of all time in 2007, which is a hell of an achievement given it was 13 years old at the time!

latest?cb=20070902014940 

(yes I'm old)

Edited by RizzoTheRat

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2013 at 2:31 AM, Bunsen said:

But I know I can't be the only one here who's played the greatest game ever (shut up yes it is):

OMFktzk.png

Star Control 2 is the greatest game in all existence! Yes, it's a bit grindy for today's kids, but so much space to explore, so many wonderful aliens with tons and tons and tons of fun fun fun dialogue, billion things to do and a very fun "spacewar on steroids" combat. The best part? It's open source now, just find yourself "Ur-Quan Masters" and don't forget to download the speech pack. Acting is surprisingly decent for such an old game :)

17 hours ago, Rade Krman said:

Star Control 2 is the greatest game in all existence! Yes, it's a bit grindy for today's kids, but so much space to explore, so many wonderful aliens with tons and tons and tons of fun fun fun dialogue, billion things to do and a very fun "spacewar on steroids" combat. The best part? It's open source now, just find yourself "Ur-Quan Masters" and don't forget to download the speech pack. Acting is surprisingly decent for such an old game :)

On March 21, 2016 at 0:27 AM, Andem said:

Oh, I forgot, does The Ur Quan Masters count? It's very fun, and unintentionally has some very creepy moments.

:cool:

17 hours ago, Rade Krman said:

lNlYkLr.png

Just reminding myself that I got to oct. 2014. so I know where to continue reading tomorrow :D

I feel your pain!

I dunno if I've posted here before or not, but I'm currently enamored with the 2004 edition of Sid Meier's Pirates! that I used to play a bunch. I still think its naval combat is better than modern versions such as Assassin's Creed IV.

1 hour ago, Maximus97 said:

I dunno if I've posted here before or not, but I'm currently enamored with the 2004 edition of Sid Meier's Pirates! that I used to play a bunch. I still think its naval combat is better than modern versions such as Assassin's Creed IV.

: O I remember playin an old Java game on my flip phone with pirates, ships, smuggling and stuff like that, and I always wanted to play something similar to it except in 3D. Thanks to you I now know what I'm buying next!

There is often nothing better than an older game that has modding potential. Give any community a decade to work with a game they love and you can expect some impressive additions. I've recently started playing Warhammer 40k Dawn of War 1 with the Ultimate Apocalypse mod (new races, tons of new units for all factions, titans, etc.) and Neverwinter Nights 1&2 with ton of additional races, classes and other options from dnd 3.5 that weren't included in the original games. Those last two also have a fair number of high quality community made campaigns that can keep you busy for 100s of hours.

Edited by riskyjubles

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, @Maximus97! I've recently found a game you might like! It's called The Pirate: Caribbean Hunt. The plot is not so good and the UI could look a bit better, but the sailing physics seems to be realistic and very enjoyable. Works for Android and Win 8.1, AFAIK. Thought you might be interested. The game really sucked me in.

Edited by Veeltch

18 minutes ago, Rade Krman said:

It doesn't, but factorio is awesome until it starts eating your life away. KSP lasts a long time and can be grindy, but factorio is a bit too much of that :o

Factorio is only grindy if you dont know what yer doin :)

• 1 month later...

Thought I would share some gaming memories from days gone by

http://www.migman.com/sw/PSION/screen1.php - ZX81 Flight Sim

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0001797 - ZX Spectrum 48k Flight Simulator

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0004681 - ZX Spectrum 48k Space Shuttle: A Journey Into Space

http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0001601 - ZX Spectrum 48K Elite

Yes....the good old days really were that good :)

Edited by m-theory

The Incredible machine: A friend and I both had this game. It was an addicting Rube Goldberg puzzle game, mostly we didn't solve the puzzles but rather spend countless hours making the most intricate of contraptions in the game's sandbox mode. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.