What's your favourite "old" game?

joppiesaus

I'll take good 'ol PD over COD any day of the week. Best theme song too.

Still has more weapon diversity than most shooters today, which is really sad. I still think secondary functions is the best idea this game featured in terms of combat. That and you (most of the time) don't die in two hits and have a chance to retaliate.

Edited by WhiteWeasel

My all time favorite game.

4117.jpg

Mine too. I bought it on Steam recently because my original CD went missing during a move.

Also, System Shock 2 but only because the Ultima Underworld engine makes the first one nearly unplayable nowadays (CONTROLS!!!)

More recent ones:

Age_of_Empires_II_-_The_Age_of_Kings_Coverart.png

My first RTS ever, graphics are terrible compared to today's standards but it was nonetheless a good game. :) (ok, still really old... I need to run through my game collection at home, we've got a ton of GameCube stuff, which reminds me...)

Yeah, I liked that too, I played it a lot. I still remember the music when you start the game up. Ta-da-tadadadaaa-ta-da-tadatataaa!

Yeah, I liked that too, I played it a lot. I still remember the music when you start the game up. Ta-da-tadadadaaa-ta-da-tadatataaa!

I would take my friend's trumpet in band class while he was away, and play that. By the end of the first year, my band teacher could remember that music.

Thats easy: X-Com: Enemy Unknown

Not, not this one...

XCOM_Enemy_Unknown_Game_Cover.jpg

This one!

ufo3.gif

Oh, how many nights have I spent defending Earth from these aliens?

blasphemy! :P

the original was called "X-Com: UFO Defense" and/or "UFO: Enemy Unknown" (hence why they named the new "remake" "X-Com: Enemy Unknown")

but I totally agree original X-Com for the win and possibly terror from the deep

You kids today and your definitions of "old."

UT2K4 is probably my favorite new old game. Reaching further back, I'm still a fan of Adventure from Atari. You can find clones around even now. And I still play Bejeweled on my phone.

Well, true video games have only been around since 1962, starting with Spacewar!. I have played Spacewar!, but games from 1962-1980 can be a little hard to play, unless they are arcade-style. Games got really good and easy to play, in my opinion, during and after 1985. This happens to coincide with the appearance of the MS DOS for personal computers. This is when games got really beautiful, for the time, by introducing videos, and even some types of three-dimensional terrain.

If you want to talk good, older games, Pac-Man, which came out less than a year after Adventure, was a good one.

Adventure was good, and I can still remember spending hours trying to find the only Easter-egg in the game.

I love to play Battlefield 1942, it is the best FPS for me. I've never saw such level of gameplay in any other fps: if something was in a map, it was because you could use it. they were no useless decorative element.

00008193-photo-battlefield-1942.jpg

See those boat in the background? you could drive them, even the aircraft carrier. this game is simply amazing. And this game is about 10 years old, those graphics are amazing !

Hilarious, this was my number one answer and decide to look to see if anyone else had posted it. Yours is post #3! LOL.

After BF2 was released, I got sucked into the BF2 Mod "Project Reality" where I stayed for 5 years, played nothing else; until I discovered the planet Kerbin.

If I wanted to post the first game I ever played, I would've posted Pokemon Silver for the GBC (Still have a functioning GBC and a dry battery cartridge), but I want to post my favorite. Here I go.

Bubsy+claws.jpg

Because Bubsy 3D caused it to die, one of the things on my list to do before I die is to reboot the series, whether-or-not it may be decades old.

Game?

Nope, can't do singular.

Imperium Gallactica II still comes out for a spin in skermish mode.

WarZone 2100 now available as open source http://wz2100.net/

I always have a yearning for Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, iirc my Morrowind directory + mods runs to over 10GB!

Finally, and possibly the best game you've never played: Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire:_The_Masquerade_%E2%80%93_Bloodlines

Honourable mention must go to DreamFall: The Longest Journey, if only because just thinking about it can make me cry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.