What's your favourite "old" game?

joppiesaus

Who could forget team fortress 2! Released on october 10th 2007!

Tf2_standalonebox.jpg

This (TF2) and FSX! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Flight_Simulator_X

These are the best games of their time, and both of them still have a reasonable playerbase today! FSX released October 10th, 2006 (ironic huh?)

technically TF2 isn't 6 years old, not 6 until october.

Edited by Rockhem

The nostalgia is killing me, but most of these are actually a little over my head, i didn't get into the gaming scene as early as some others. These, however, i did find, and they are pure gold to me.

Battlefield 1942: How could you not? The multi-faceted warfare with ever changing objectives is infinitely replayable so long as a multiplayer server is open.

untitled.png

And one i'm shocked not to have seen up till now, a game published by a little company called Firaxis in 1999:

To those that never heard of this, play it. You can pick up a digital download copy for under $15 USD. I'm amazed at the level of depth of story and gameplay, and i'd kill to have this remade, but Firaxis sold the license to the Mastertronic group. And the diplomacy AI still beats anything i've seen in more recent civ's, but i stil love Civ 3:

Civilization_III_Coverart.png

I've never even beat the game before, even on its easiest setting, but it's endlessly appealing.

And then their is...

Master of Magic - 1994

This defined 3X games for me.. Forget Civ this is where it is at!

I love this game still to this day, I still play it from time to time thanks to Dosbox. I have always hoped they would remake this game in some fashion. The closest I have seen is Age of Wonder which is a good game in itself, but I never felt it lived up the same potential as Master of Magic

I clicked on this thread expecting to end up ranting about whippersnappers who don't know from nothin', and how we had proper games back in my day with none of this newfangled Steam business, why you had to dig out the floppy disk or PRESS PLAY ON TAPE, and that the important thing is that I had an onion on my belt which was the style at the time. While there are a few of you who definitely need to get off my lawn, I'm pleasantly surprised to see X-COM so well represented. And SimAnt, damn, I haven't seen that in ages.

But I know I can't be the only one here who's played the greatest game ever (shut up yes it is):

OMFktzk.png

I clicked on this thread expecting to end up ranting about whippersnappers who don't know from nothin', and how we had proper games back in my day with none of this newfangled Steam business, why you had to dig out the floppy disk or PRESS PLAY ON TAPE, and that the important thing is that I had an onion on my belt which was the style at the time. While there are a few of you who definitely need to get off my lawn, I'm pleasantly surprised to see X-COM so well represented. And SimAnt, damn, I haven't seen that in ages.

But I know I can't be the only one here who's played the greatest game ever (shut up yes it is):

OMFktzk.png

Star Control II

Nice one indeed and there may well be some space-enthusiastic youngsters on this board who´d really miss out, if they´d not download the dosbox and give it a shot. One of the best Space Opera games, en par with Starflight.

There are some great games in this thread that I remember fondly; and many others that I never played. I suppose they'd notice if I took a year off work to try them all, wouldn't they?

Sid Meier is responsible for claiming countless hours of my life with the Civilization series, which has been mentioned here (including the Colonization and Alpha Centauri spinoffs)..and also with the Railroad Tycoon series, which hasn't yet been mentioned. While some of the features and some of the feel of the very first Railroad Tycoon never were replicated, and so it has a special place in my heart even apart from being first, it was PopTop's sequel that was the pinnacle of the series. And hey, Railroad Tycoon II Platinum Edition is even on Steam now.

I've also fallen in love with sports titles over the years. I still mourn the loss of the FPS: Football Pro series (which I even bought third-party utilities for). Good times.

Reaching farther back in time, though, I must point out that the real travesty is that no one has yet breathed the word "Infocom" in this thread. For shame! You deserve to be eaten by grues, all of you.

I've still got the original boxed copies of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Border Zone sitting on my bookshelf close at hand; owned and played many of their other titles too. And I've played them on quite the variety of machines. For instance, I remember running Zork on this:

b98b470b-6245-4f48-9e02-832b0cce1352.jpg

and Plundered Hearts (a greatly underrated title of theirs, in my opinion) on this:

1eb79e9d-ca52-46eb-8a74-def73b246b0a.jpg

(Weren't luggables fun?)

Of course, Zork was itself a descendant of the ur-adventure game, ADVENT (a.k.a. Colossal Cave Adventure), which I got to play one summer in its native ecosystem, on a dumb terminal linked to the campus mainframe via acoustic coupler modem (the 150-baud communication speed helped build suspense).

Edited by KevinTMC

There are some great games in this thread that I remember fondly; and many others that I never played. I suppose they'd notice if I took a year off work to try them all, wouldn't they?

Sid Meier is responsible for claiming countless hours of my life with the Civilization series, which has been mentioned here (including the Colonization and Alpha Centauri spinoffs)..and also with the Railroad Tycoon series, which hasn't yet been mentioned. While some of the features and some of the feel of the very first Railroad Tycoon never were replicated, and so it has a special place in my heart even apart from being first, it was PopTop's sequel that was the pinnacle of the series. And hey, Railroad Tycoon II Platinum Edition is even on Steam now.

I've also fallen in love with sports titles over the years. I still mourn the loss of the FPS: Football Pro series (which I even bought third-party utilities for). Good times.

Reaching farther back in time, though, I must point out that the real travesty is that no one has yet breathed the word "Infocom" in this thread. For shame! You deserve to be eaten by grues, all of you.

I've still got the original boxed copies of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and Border Zone sitting on my bookshelf close at hand; owned and played many of their other titles too. And I've played them on quite the variety of machines. For instance, I remember running Zork on this:

b98b470b-6245-4f48-9e02-832b0cce1352.jpg

and Plundered Hearts (a greatly underrated title of theirs, in my opinion) on this:

1eb79e9d-ca52-46eb-8a74-def73b246b0a.jpg

(Weren't luggables fun?)

Of course, Zork was itself a descendant of the ur-adventure game, ADVENT (a.k.a. Colossal Cave Adventure), which I got to play one summer in its native ecosystem, on a dumb terminal linked to the campus mainframe via acoustic coupler modem (the 150-baud communication speed helped build suspense).

Nice post. Not much to add, but i cant help wondering: When did they figure out, that the ratio of Screen size to floppy size should be >1? I mean: It´s so funny 2 (!) 5.25" floppies but something like a 3.5" screen - really? BTW: Would you mind naming the machines? The lower seems to be a c64 variant (what were the letters again?), but the above?

About infocom: Do they still exist? I am wondering, because i kind of often see signs of one-man-companies wearing the name and wonder wether they´d be in trouble, if they ever make their way out of the garage.

Nice post. Not much to add, but i cant help wondering: When did they figure out, that the ratio of Screen size to floppy size should be >1? I mean: It´s so funny 2 (!) 5.25" floppies but something like a 3.5" screen - really? BTW: Would you mind naming the machines? The lower seems to be a c64 variant (what were the letters again?), but the above?

the bottom one was indeed a mobile version of the c64; as a kid I lusted after one, even if it was extraordinarily expensive (like, "used car" expensive) and weighed something like 20lbs. I think the top one is the mobile version of the TRS-80, though it might be a Commodore PET.

For screen size, remember they didn't have LCD screens back then. It's tough to make a CRT small enough to fit in a portable unit but big enough to read comfortably. We're so spoiled these days with our 18" widescreen laptops that can be carried without a mule team...

-- Steve

About infocom: Do they still exist? I am wondering, because i kind of often see signs of one-man-companies wearing the name and wonder wether they´d be in trouble, if they ever make their way out of the garage.

Infocom was bought out by Activision after an ill-starred attempt at entering the business software market. Things went well at first; then a change of leadership at Activision resulted in their being treated as a red-headed stepchild. They were shut down in 1989, though Activision continued to slap the Infocom name on a few other titles, and marketed the old ones on occasion.

I was lucky enough to pick up the Lost Treasures of Infocom collections in '91-'92, and so own all of their text adventures, and at least photocopies of the documentation and what came in the box. They've recently re-released a similar collection (minus a few games from the complete set) on iOS...which seems intriguing, but I'd much rather use a real keyboard for text adventures.

BTW: Would you mind naming the machines? The lower seems to be a c64 variant (what were the letters again?), but the above?

The top machine is the pioneering Osborne 1, which ran CP/M on a Z80 processor. The bottom is indeed a portable Commodore 64 system, the SX-64. I still wish I had one.

(I've played around with a bunch of other peoples' Commodore systems over the years--VIC-20, C64, C128, SX-64, Amiga--but never owned any of them, only wished I did. But since I've never been without at least one computer in the house since 1980--mostly Apples until the late '90s, mostly self-built PCs since then--I've hardly been deprived. But you know how it is: the shiniest shineys are always the ones you don't have. I still kinda covet my grade-school buddy's Intellivision too.)

Edited by KevinTMC

Yeah, I'm not going to be able to list just one...but the top game has to be SimIsle: Missions in the Rainforest. One of the lesser known games in the "software toys" line of SimWhatevers published by Maxis through the late 80's and early 90's, this was my introduction to gaming. It was hard as hell, I only ever passed the first island....but it was an amzingly well made game. Forget Tropico, this was the first island-management game, and apart from having more bugs and easter-eggs than content, did a really good job (I actually prefer it to Tropico 3, the only other island-based simulator game I've got). I'd love to see a new game take the same approach that SimIsle did. I've still got the disc for it.....but it can't be run on Windows 7/8, and no one's come up with an emulator that will run the version I have (the DOS versions? Sure. But the DOS version is clunky and annoying. And it's almost impossible to get hold of the files for the DOS version anyway. Definitely imposible to get it legally.)...so it sits in a box and waits for the day that someone makes a decent emulator for Win98 or Mac7.

Of course, I had pretty much every Sim game that was available in New Zealand in the late 90's.....although some of them sucked because they shipped them without manuals, rendering them pretty much impossible. So I was only ever able to really get into SimAnt, SimSafari and SimPark. Although SimPark was a bugger because there wasn't a version that would run on our university-surplus Macintosh 7.5's.

My list of oldies but goldies that i play from time to time thanks for dosbox are (in no particular order)

1. Wolfenstein 3d

2. Doom 1 & 2

3. Transport Tycoon

4. Simcity 2000

5. XCOM: UFO Defence

6. XCOM: Terror form the Deep

7. XCOM: Apocalypse

8. Lands of Lore

9. Master of Orion 2

10. Lost Eden

11. Day of the Tentacle

12. Raptor: Call of the Shadows

13. Crusader 1 & 2

14. Strike Commander

15. Privateer

16. Homeworld 1 & 2 (no dosbox but still goldies)

17. The Red Alert Series

18. The C&C Series except the last one that EA published

19. Heroes of Might and Magic

20. Battledrome

21. Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2

22. Rebel Assault 2

23. Xwing - TIE Fighter

24. Fatal Racing

25. Hexen

26. Dungeon Keeper 1 & 2

Edited by kookoo_gr

Super Mario 64 and Tony Hawk's Pro Skateboarding for the N64 and Gran Turismo 4 were the games that kept me staring at TV screens when I was a child.

It's a shame I have none of them anymore.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.