What's your favourite "old" game?

joppiesaus

Oh well my choice is way older than 6 years old. Probably because Im in my mid thirties and concider 6yo games pretty much current gen and not 'old games' ;)

Anyway my favourite old game is... THE SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND. This game made me a gamer :) My dad bought an atari 1040st back in 1989, monkey island wasnt my first game however it was the first I liked and finished. Unfortunately MI2 wasnt released for the atari and I had to wait until 1995 to play the sequel on our first PC.

I miss good ole Lucas arts SCUM engine

Oh well my choice is way older than 6 years old. Probably because Im in my mid thirties and concider 6yo games pretty much current gen and not 'old games' ;)

Anyway my favourite old game is... THE SECRET OF MONKEY ISLAND. This game made me a gamer :) My dad bought an atari 1040st back in 1989, monkey island wasnt my first game however it was the first I liked and finished. Unfortunately MI2 wasnt released for the atari and I had to wait until 1995 to play the sequel on our first PC.

I miss good ole Lucas arts SCUM engine

Check this out then if you haven't found it already:

http://scummvm.org

Check this out then if you haven't found it already:

http://scummvm.org

Hey thanks :) But yeah Ive figured that out a long long time ago :) replayed many great stuff like all indiana jones, MI and Days of the tentacles ;)

When I said I missed SCUM engine I meant as a 10 yo playing those games for the first time and be blown away. To me it was like open-world perfection back then. Imagine what I feel when I play gta5 now at 34 yo heh heh...

EDIT: and I might continue citing some epic games that I loved, this time on megadrive (genesis). Those are "Another world" (aka out of this world for US folks)and the mighty "Landstalker"

Edited by merlinux

Many new games are either lacking in gameplay or story, while having good graphics.

While in many old games, this situation is the opposite.

Although there are many exceptions, too.

In my honest opinion...they all sucked in one way or another.

Mine would be the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda_%28video_game%29- The Legend of Zelda

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SimTower-Sim tower

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roller_Coaster_Tycoon- Roller Coaster Tycoon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Battlefront Star Wars Battlefront (I and II)

There are others, but these are the ones that come to mind :) It seems a lot of us have some similar tastes :D

Defidently "X-com apocalypse" by mythos games in 97

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-COM:_Apocalypse

It was the first game i really liked when i first got it for christmas in 99. I guess its like your first gf. You always think it was special

Rollercoaster tycoon (first 2), interstate 76 and the first half-life are also close to my heart

Edited by landeTLS

Lots.

Half-Life and the related games (oh god i just realized Ep 2 came out more than 6 years ago), Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Left 4 Dead 2, Freelancer, Need for Speed Carbon, Prince of Persia Warrior Within, Rise of Nations, Midtown Madness 2...

Edited by Hachouma

X-Com Apocalypse had some flaws, but was a terrific game. None of the sequels measure up to it. It was the last one of the type that had a good management/research side in addition to the tactical combat.

One of my all-time favorite gameplaying moments comes from XCA. One of my favorite tactical tricks was to toss one of those hopping-seeking alien grenades outside the door of a UFO, and then wait for somebody to open the door, so that the grenade would hop inside and chase him. So one time I had this big UFO down with my squad lined up outside the door and set that trap. Somebody triggered the grenade and I heard it hop-hop after him. Then it went off, the dead alien dropped his weapons, and you know how sometimes those would explode? Well, it set off a chain reaction. It was blam!-scream-clatter-blam!-scream-blam! It went on and on and I was laughing until I couldn't breath. When things finally quieted down I sent my squad in, and the entire crew had been wiped out. Man, that was fun.

X-Com Apocalypse had some flaws, but was a terrific game. None of the sequels measure up to it. It was the last one of the type that had a good management/research side in addition to the tactical combat.

One of my all-time favorite gameplaying moments comes from XCA. One of my favorite tactical tricks was to toss one of those hopping-seeking alien grenades outside the door of a UFO, and then wait for somebody to open the door, so that the grenade would hop inside and chase him. So one time I had this big UFO down with my squad lined up outside the door and set that trap. Somebody triggered the grenade and I heard it hop-hop after him. Then it went off, the dead alien dropped his weapons, and you know how sometimes those would explode? Well, it set off a chain reaction. It was blam!-scream-clatter-blam!-scream-blam! It went on and on and I was laughing until I couldn't breath. When things finally quieted down I sent my squad in, and the entire crew had been wiped out. Man, that was fun.

I absolutely agree. It had its small gameplay issues that was mainly because that lots of intended content was cut Because of time constraints. I still wonder how legendary the game would have been if they had completed their original idea. I really wish the situation back then was more like today with indie developers being able to finance and publish their games by themselves.

Even in comparison to the first two xcom games(that where also very good) i think apocalypse was the best game in the entire series. I especcially love that you could play it all the way without turnbased tactics(i still think its the only game ever made of the tactics type that did the non turnbased thing in a good way). Too bad every game that was released under the name/concept after was terrible.

Tho the new xcom game is pretty good. But too bad All the complexity i loved in the micromanaging has been dumbed down and consoleified to such a degree its become mainly a general tactics game and not a classic xcom game.

Yea. I had a slightly different way to do it. I loved just having my guys lined up shooting gallery style outside the ufo waiting for the aliens to come out and blast them with those explosive minigun rounds making all their unused grenades explode sometimes making the whole side of the ufo come down on top of them. What was amazing about the ai was that they sometimes where able to outsmart the camping tactic somewhat by just continually rushing my guys until one alien could launch a missile or toss a grenade into one of the lines of agents. O such many fun moments of gameplay i had from that game.

Edited by landeTLS

A lot of my favorite games have already been mentioned: Half-Life (all), Civilization (I through IV, V sucked), Star Craft. However, I am really going to date myself by listing games I played when I was younger.

I played a lot of games on the Apple II in junior high, my favorite would have been Ultima.

I got a Commodore 64 in 1984, my favorites on that would have been Elite and M.U.L.E.

After I joined the Navy I got an Amiga, and my favorite was, hands down, Red Storm Rising. (I recall the first time my roommate saw the game. He said, "Holy crap, that looks just like the Attack Simulator up at Sub School.")

After I got out of the Navy in 1993 I finally got a PC-compatible. I played the heck out of X-Wing and its derivatives and SimCity up to 2000 (after that they got too granular). I also really liked the computerized versions of the Avalon Hill games Third Reich and Advanced Civilization (not Sid Meier's, the old board game).

you could play it all the way without turnbased tactics
I have to disagree about that being a good thing. Since computers became powerful enough to run real-time for FPS and non-turn for tacticals and strategics, every game HAS to be real-time, even if there's no advantage to it. Take the newer X-Coms. You have to continually pause the game to re-assess, get situational awareness, and change orders. Well, as long as you're stopping it all the flippin' time anyway, why not just leave it turn-based so the player doesn't have to putz around with manually stopping the action every few seconds? It just creates busywork.

Similarly, RPGs used to be three-quarter view looking down on a party of characters. Now you can look out through your character's eyes and get a more immersive experience, but what did we lose in that change? You can't run a party of characters anymore. You have to trust additional party members to idiot AI that constantly mis-uses their skills and/or gets them killed. Also, if you only have one character, no lock can be very difficult to pick because your party no longer has a dedicated thief. Your party no longer has a healer casting restorative spells, so you have to take time out to do that to yourself or drink potions. Etc., etc. Personally, I would love to a see a come-back of party-based RPGs because they were so much richer in terms of gameplay. But, as always, the gaming field tends ever towards dumber and more action-oriented games. :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.