What's your favourite "old" game?

joppiesaus

Guest Aaack

For me Quake 3 Arena, I spent months playing that game and acquiring an inhuman reflexes speed.

Also the fact that runs on linux helped me a lot.

rail.jpg

Well probably Sim city 4

That was my first thought too! I had a great city with many mods and plugins. I've still got the file and disk somewhere, maybe Castlevile (spelling as it was in the game) will run properly on my new more powerful computer.

I also realised that mario kart ds is now about that age. I got so good at sliding around everywhere.

Chuck Yeager's encouraging face after every "auger in" kept me coming back for more, even on this slow FPS, low-polygon count flight sim. Hours of buzzing the tower and barnstorming were had playing this game. The follow up to it was cleaner and had more planes and features but somehow the original just had more atmosphere.

951666_109351_front.jpg

And of course, Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space. Is there an uncanny similarity with these two images...? :wink:

buzz_aldrins_race_into_space.png

500px-SpaceCenter017.png

Vangers. Has anyone here also have heard/played this game?

Vangers_Coverart.png

It's a pretty old game (made in 1998) with elements of racing and role-playing put in one game. I found its demo version back in 2006 on a random CD-ROM (internet was a scarcity that time), and easily got hooked up in it. Then I've suddenly remembered about the game just 2 years ago, searched it, downloaded and installed the full version, then finished it. I'm actually playing it these past days recently :D

And it does look weird at a first glance. Read more about it here.

vangers-one-for-the-road-pc-04-.jpg

Baulders Gate. I'd be hard pressed to think of another game where the character development and interplay between the main NPC's was so well done. And it lasted the whole game, not just for sections as in something like Dragon Age.

My list: Deus Ex 1 and 2, Simcity 3000, Worms 2, Tomb Raider 1 to 5, Caesar II, CounterStrike 1.5, Commandos series, quake 3 and GTA San Andreas.

There are probably more than 100 old games that I absolutely love that I can't remember right now.

And then their is...

Master of Magic - 1994

This defined 3X games for me.. Forget Civ this is where it is at!

+1

Plus

FPS: System Shock 2

The best FPS/RPG crossover I ever played. And the reason I am still bored to death by every "horror movie" or game out there. I was 14 or fifteen when I played it the first time and that was quite the experience : ]

G5Kdwr8.png

+1

Plus

FPS: System Shock 2

The best FPS/RPG crossover I ever played. And the reason I am still bored to death by every "horror movie" or game out there. I was 14 or fifteen when I played it the first time and that was quite the experience : ]

God, the first time you open the door and the hybrid attacks you with the pipe. :D

This thread is a wonderful trip down memory lane, i don't know if i should be ashamed or proud to say that many of my fondest memories are of games, or that i remember many times and events in my life because of a game i was playing at the time, I used to hear my dad's shouting through this music at 2AM telling me to go to bed, great days:

<courtesy snip>

Seconding Civilization II so very much. I don't know how many years of my life were consumed by that game (and that music clip really took me back).

Other early games that are high on the list include Red Baron and Red Baron 3D, Master of Orion (the first one; all you whippersnappers who started with the second one don't know what you're missing), Caesar II, and Yukon Trail (the first game I ever played on a Windows computer).

Commenting on some on this page:

System Shock II: It actually scared me out of it. I mean after ´we are here´, i started whisteling (that´s what i do, when i am terrified), but when the monkeys started screaming, i started to look frantically for the next hatch door from the Rickenbacker and went on flying solo.... :D

Gunship: From a datasette?! Oh my! ´Please stand by...´ hahaha

EDIT: Forgot my own entry:

- Jagged Alliance II (though after all the school massacres that happenend meanwhile, i´d say it´s clearly for (mentally sane) adults, only!)

There's a lot of nostalgia here, all excellent games that many of us grew up on, it's a fun thread and It'd be cool for more people to see it.

joppiesaus, Congrats for making the the Space Lounge Thread Of The Month, and for bringing back cool memories :)

Wow, I missed this thread when it was new.

Original XCOM was probably the greatest bane to my studies as a youth: bought on 3.5" disc and then on CD when I lost the floppies. (Love the current reboot, too; all the fun, a tenth the book-keeping) That, or original Civilization.

Later I became a huge Halo fan and played that series heavily. Maybe too heavily. *cough*

-- Steve

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.