Ker-Bull Air Race (New Update to Better Gates)

^ It looks good Togatown, where is its CoM and does it stand well on slopes/uneven ground? Have you tried it in the mountains? My gates are having glitch issues and tend to fly away sometimes, have you had that problem with that one piece ring yet?

I had to scale it down to check the COM and assume that the relative center is the same no matter the scale. The COM is dead center of the ring making it nice to approach as the name tag ends up in the center unlike the ramps which are tagged on a corner.

I haven't moved one to the mountains yet but will tonight (hopefully, work dependent). I plan on setting up the entire original course with them and testing it on the three PCs I have KSP on (all different graphic setups).

Is the fly away due to mass or is it a mesh issue. I did have a similar issue when I renamed the base pieces in blender and forgot to apply the collision mesh to the new objects in Unity. The base ended up underground and the whole piece freaked and popped up in the air. Actually flew about 500m! It was pretty funny.

If the leveling becomes an issue, I was going to extrude the base out straight and put some landing legs at different heights around it. Side to side shouldn't be an issue, it’s round, but it may lean front to back.

It is 144 meters wide to the outside and the ring wall is 18 meters wide so the opening diameter is 108 meters (roughly the same width as 2 of the ramps). This will give it and effective height which is much greater than the ramps so my hope is some front to back tilting won't be a huge issue.

Have you tried increasing the mass of your gate to prevent fly aways? I was thinking I could place them and then pump the mass up to 30-40 tons to make it more stable.....

^ I'm not sure what causes the "fly away", it wasn't a problem for me on the machine I created the course on - maybe related to graphics settings or a procedural element in the terrain formation? If you do a working course I'll be happy to add it to the OP, especially if your gates work better, I haven't made any parts yet - the gate part is borrowed from RollCage so I'm not sure if it's that that's the problem. I found the easiest way was to Hyperedit a soft landing near to where you want it and have a decoupler and wheel on each corner for the final placement if it helps at all :)

I used Hyperedit as well, the new version is much more granular and resolves the position much more accurately. Most of mine ended up right over the ones you placed. I gently dropped them on top of the ramps and then used Hyperedit to delete the ramps. Since I made the part with integrated propulsion, it moves itself. was trying to avoid complex placement as I want to see more of these courses and the easier for people to place the gate the better for us all!

I managed to place all of the beginner gates as a test. It sits pretty well on the ground and twists for adjustment fairly easily. You can use the thrusters to 'hop' around for fine tuning placement and it twist side to side easily. I'm going to fly the course later and will post some shots.

The only location I had trouble with was Gate 2, it kept falling forward. I shifted it up the hill a little. Maybe I could do it as two pieces, the base and the ring. Then after placing it I could make the base super heavy for stability.

If you've got a Kerbull Air Race logo I'd gladly apply it to the face. Thanks for the original course and the inspiration! I'm definitely willing to keep working on this and customize it if need be.

Sorry about that, had unexpected delays. Here's a shot on top of the existing ramp gates for size comparison.SQnZu1l.jpgI dropped my gate at the locations of the existing ones to compare apples to apples. I'm setting up an additional one in the northern mountains. Once you've got a starting coordinate, placing the successive gates is a breeze. They seem to sit well but the foot may need to be widened for steeper placement. They do move like a dream once they are drop and you can 'hop' and slide them around easily.Let me know what you think, if it works for you guys, I'll drop 'em anywhere if someone draws the course out for me on the map. I'm setting up one of my own but work must come first.....https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymitewmm3gj93uo/Kerbull.zip

Edited by togatown

Yeah I always have trouble on gate 2 on the advanced course. I end up missing the gate or crashing into the ground. I think this gate gives you better sight lines on the approach making it easier to navigate through. Obviously the foot raising it off the ground and the increased opening height make it easier to estimate hard turns through it. Glad you liked it antbin! And thanks again to Darren9 for his hard work in putting this together in the first place.

Can I link to your dropbox and put this as the official course in the OP togatown?
I share gladly sir! Please use this link Kerbull
I think your gates are an improvement over mine.
Thank you! In all fairness, you saw something that worked and grabbed it. Don't know how you managed to assemble two of the ramps together AND it looks like you slipped some struts in there too. Those things are HUGE in the buildings. That must have been quite the task.
Thanks for making them.
If it hadn't been for your original course, I would never have been inspired to make this so thank you as well.

^ I had to make them in an old .19 with the EDTools huge SPH and move to .21, I updated the OP, and pinched the picture of the two gates together since it was there - cheers :)

I'm not sure about resetting the scoreboard, the gates are slightly easier but I think it's close enough to carry on.

3:54

Standard Course (MechJeb, HexCans, Aviation Lights)

GH8mxGd.png?1

Hope a one-pic submission is ok --- I used the mechjeb MARK button when first passing the start gate. If you look at the "distance since mark" you can see I'm 73m from when I first hit the button --- less than one second of possible time error.

This is a pretty great challenge. I'll have to try the advanced course now.

Having the gates pop in at 2.25km makes getting approach angle right a bit tricky. I might actually get TTNeverUnload to pull them up from farther away if I do more attempts.

Edited by Zeroignite

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.