Best mods to have

1) Mechjeb is a good tool, I'd recommend at least trying it out for the vessel and orbital info. You don't have to use any of the autopilots until you feel like you can't do those overly repetitive launches anymore. In my personal experience, I've been using it less and less as I've gotten better at the game (I use it for a few launches... maybe); all of my dockings are manual as MJ uses too much RCS, and interplanetary burns and such are manual as well unless I don't have enough patience to perform a several hour burn. The one thing I do use on a regular basis is Smart A.S.S., which only provides steering help that should be in the stock game, to some extent, already.

IRL, people don't pilot rockets– too many variables and chances for human error– so using an autopilot is not "unrealistic" or noobish. Give it a try if you're open to it but don't do something you don't want to.
:)

2) Lazor Docking cam is very helpful indeed, having things in the way of docking makes it difficult to gauge where you are, so this really helps line up and dock. I haven't been using it much (since I haven't been playing KSP much since I'm building a new computer and I also have a new job to deal with) but it's a very useful tool.

3) B9 Aerospace is good if you want a metric crapton of new parts, but I've found from my experience that trying to get big, single-launch ships into space is really tricky without something like KW or NovaPunch, which both have 3.75 meter parts (I think NP also has 5 meter).

4) If you don't mind updating configs and folder structures then check out Bobcat's old DEMV rovers. Very low part count, good texturing and animation, a generally good mod. Bobcat is working on updating them, so you won't have to use the older ones for too long.

5) Chatterer is awesome for ambiance, definitely try this one. :D

I've also got some stuff in the works (check my sig) but I don't want to self-advertise. Check out my stuff at your own leisure. :)

I use for flying and "something to do" purposes:

MechJeb - Latest dev builds installed before I play - Mostly for the DV calculator, warp assist, launches (Because I can't be bothered to launch the same ship over and over again). I've given up on using it for descents because my rigs usually break the caulcations. ;)

Kethane - Majiir has done a more than fantastic job on this mod

Kerbal Alarm Clock

I use a few others that add flavor to the game, such as the truck wheels, station components, and such. I don't have anything that modifies fuel tanks or engines. Anything dealing with fuel propulsion is 100% stock.

2) Lazor Docking cam is very helpful indeed, having things in the way of docking makes it difficult to gauge where you are, so this really helps line up and dock. I haven't been using it much (since I haven't been playing KSP much since I'm building a new computer and I also have a new job to deal with) but it's a very useful tool.

Lazor Docking Cam is way too much fun, IMHO. I love it. And the pics through the camera seems realistic as heck.

The mods in my sig are the best mods for KSP.

To the MechJeb haters: If you don't like MechJeb, fine. We get it. But stop telling people they're having fun wrong.

MechJeb is cheating and it is well known that NASA cheats by using automation.

MechJeb is cheating and it is well known that NASA cheats by using automation.

LOL, and I'm sure that Roscosmos cheats too, and their automated launches always go off without a hitch. :D

How's that RCS Build Aid mod?

LOL, and I'm sure that Roscosmos cheats too, and their automated launches always go off without a hitch. :D

Roscosmos would be cheating in my save game too, bastards...

How's that RCS Build Aid mod?

It's epic. Get it. My only gripe is that you can't "empty the tanks" to see how mass shifts affect the RCS, but smart design can help alleviate this (putting the fuel tanks near the middle of the COM, for instance).

Yes because "fun" is apparently watching the game play itself.

There is nothing "fun" about watching every mission go off without a hitch.

Excuse you, but I'm having way much more fun now that I use MechJeb than before I used it. I'm having fun watching my mission fly by itself, rather than doing every tricky part myself. Not that I can't do it, I can, but I find it extremely boring.

So please don't assume that because you don't find it fun, other people don't.

Now to go back on topic, I think one has been overlooked by people. HydroTech RCS does WONDERS with whatever concerns RCS and docking, it'S far superior to MechJeb and Lazor Docking Cam combined when it comes to docking. Really, this mod doesn't get the attention it should.

Now to go back on topic, I think one has been overlooked by people. HydroTech RCS does WONDERS with whatever concerns RCS and docking, it'S far superior to MechJeb and Lazor Docking Cam combined when it comes to docking. Really, this mod doesn't get the attention it should.

I tried it back in .18.1, and did not really like it much.

As the stock instruments dont give enough information - especially height above terrain and more exact vertical velocity - I no longer fly without my Kerbal Engineer.

I am not yet bored enough or spitting out enough ships and probes and whatnot to require autopiloting to keep up the fun - frustration comes more from my inability to built the rocket in the first place sometimes. And actually I am more "afraid" to install modded engines, tanks, wings etc. of which I dont know if they are created in an "overpowered" way then to use mods that give some kind of deeper insight/info to what is happening.

must have:

mechjeb (flight data is important)

kerbal alarm clock (dont overdo time warp to miss any encounter)

isa mapsat (find the easter eggs!)

not a must but a good to have:

kerbal attachment system (anchor... Minmus and some other moons have weak gravity; an anchor for the lander would be nice)

kethane (building a base with actually does something meaningful is fun)

procedural fairings

procedural wings

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.