Favorite mods

I came into this subforum looking to see if there was an 'essential add-ons' thread, only to find an empty one! Here's a list of the ones I enjoy:

KerbalAlarmClock is essential. I use it to set an alarm for sphere of influence changes or maneuver nodes and set it to disable Warp mode when it goes off. No more missing your nodes!

MechJeb is nice. It functions as a sort of autopilot. You program maneuvers, rendezvous, launches, etc. with it and it calculates the necessary actions and takes them. HOWEVER--don't use this one unless you can already do most of it yourself. If you enjoy KSP for the feeling of accomplishment you get by safely launching a new vessel, or arriving at a new planet, don't use MechJeb. It's easy to let it do all the work for you.

Supposedly KSPX is discontinued, but I like it. It's developed by someone who is now a member of the Core Team, so the parts integrate extremely well with the stock parts (if I remember correctly, some stock parts started out as a part of KSPX). Mainly I enjoy it for the smaller or larger fuel tanks/etc.

If you're into station building/resource management, Kethane is fun. It adds a whole new resource to the game, Kethane, which you have to find using scanners and mine. This is an entirely new element to the game, dramatically changing the gameplay. Now you're launching vessels with mining equipment and extremely heavy landers and such. The benefit Kethane gives you is that it can be converted into the standard fuel types. This means you can build outposts!

The B9 parts are gorgeous and add whole new size classes of stuff you can build, but I ended up removing it because my slow laptop HDD takes long enough to load the game as it is!

Anyway, no links here. My laziness is more important than your laziness ;) Most of these tend to hover on the front page of the add-on release forum, so they shouldn't be too hard to find.

I've been finding Kerbal Alarm Clock essential. I haven't yet gotten into MechJeb (I use Kerbal Engineer instead for info for now). My problem is that all of the MechJeb parts seem so heavy so adding them for info features is problematic. The MechJeb mods are so big and clunky or have absurd electrical reqs. Or do you use MechJeb parts in place of other parts?

Edited by Oddible

The ones in my sig so far. I'm playing around with a bunch more, the most notable being FAR, the Project Arcturus Thrust Corrector, and KSPX, all of which will probably end up being sig'd because they're awesome (I'm glad I let myself get convinced to try FAR). Most of the KSPX parts will end up in the next update, from what I've seen, so you could wait on that or consider it a sneak peek.

The other mods I'm trying will take some more time to decide if I really want them in my game and since my gaming time is kind of limited that's going to be awhile.

Honestly though, the only mod you really need is Chatterer. True story.

Honestly though, the only mod you really need is Chatterer. True story.

Thats really the only mod I want to work in .21, everything else is a "would be nice." That said, Remotetech and Kerbal Alarm clock are the only other ones I like. I like the mods that add difficulty to the game generally, but the Alarm clock is just a nice anti-frustration feature.

KSPX is my favorite and it is slowly getting integrated into the stock game (wut wut!). I wonder if the designer of it (now with Squad) will go back and remove some of the KSPX parts that are going stock or if I have to clean those parts out myself.

Favorite KSPX part (going stock as of .21): 2.5m to 4x 1.25m adapter, the ultimate cluster staging tool.

MechJeb, KSPX, FAR and that one that gives your kerbals their own parachutes are the ones I really can't do without. Chatterer, the SpaceJunk cargo bays, KW Rocketry and BFT's conformal tanks are close behind.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.