[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Could the buttons on the tweakable sliders from ProcedualParts be added to the tweakables for ProcedualFairings? It would make them a lot easier to use.

Would it maybe be possible to add a tweakable to toggle the fairing base to act as a decoupler? That might require some plug-in work.

If you add a decoupler to the fairing bases (with a ModuleManager config for example), you can use the TweakableEverything mod to toggle them on and off.

Anyone have any idea what is causing values/formulas to show up in the part menu? I'm posting here because it started with the "isShielded: True/False" which I think has to do with procedural fairings. I've had this little bug around for awhile now but have ignored because it wasn't that annoying. It now as CoL, CoM, Cod for every part and pushes the Gui buttons off-screen.

Thanks!

Pic http://imgur.com/LNxaDkL

That's from FAR plugin, not PF.

Anyone have any idea what is causing values/formulas to show up in the part menu? I'm posting here because it started with the "isShielded: True/False" which I think has to do with procedural fairings. I've had this little bug around for awhile now but have ignored because it wasn't that annoying. It now as CoL, CoM, Cod for every part and pushes the Gui buttons off-screen.

Thanks!

It's FAR. If it's shielded (inside a fairing) then the part's drag is ignored. The CoL, CoM and Cod are also from FAR, though it's supposed to be a debug feature that ferram forgot to disable for the official version.

Thanks!

The Cl, Cm, Cd display is actually a problem with FAR. It's supposed to be fixed in the next version.

I actually liked isShielded (it reassures you that your fairings are working as advertised), but otherwise I agree with you.

Hello e-dog.

Just wanted to ask if there ever might be a chance for the ability to select various textures from in the VAB, like ST-SRB?

many thanks.

Yes, I'm going to add side fairings with ST textures eventually.

Does the interstage fairing adapter's node change properly to work with the new node system? As far as I can tell only the whole numbers stock parts use have proper strong connections, ideally the interstage adapter should "snap" to 0 (0.65m), 1 (1.25m), 2 (2.5m), 3 (3.75m) node sizes top and bottom when resized.

Edited by K3|Chris

Could the buttons on the tweakable sliders from ProcedualParts be added to the tweakables for ProcedualFairings? It would make them a lot easier to use.

That is a very good idea. I'll chat to swamp_ig and try to make one this afternoon.

2.4.4 still doesn't work properly with .23.5, node sizes aren't defined and the procedural interstage adapter uses node sizes that the game doesn't support, needs to be fixed.

The MM patch fixes it but the download should have those fixes in it, hasn't the author tested it? rockets fold in half using pFairings in .23.5 without the MM tweak, 0.65m node strength isn't enough for larger rockets.

Edited by K3|Chris

Actually, a quick test on my end (for future KJR stuff) indicates that larger node sizes do make the connections stiffer, so there is a good reason to use them. Angular stiffness of the joints seems to scale linearly with the node size applied.

Well, someone told me to get here for some help.

Using Realism Overhaul

Crafted by Mod Bundler

Lots of RAM

Procedural Interstage Fairing only stretches it's height.

Tried reinstalling. Nothing yet.

I'm sure this will make me look even moar useless than I am, but I've unzipped this mod into my Gamedata folder and nothings showing up in the VAB or SPH. Tried to reinstall but still no good. Using the latest version of KSP and this mod. What am I doing wrong guys?

Well, someone told me to get here for some help.

Using Realism Overhaul

Crafted by Mod Bundler

Lots of RAM

Procedural Interstage Fairing only stretches it's height.

Tried reinstalling. Nothing yet.

It's slightly counter-intuitive, but you need to move the mouse vertically to stretch the interstage fairing base horizontally. Try that. Also make sure that at all time the mouse pointer is pointing at a solid part of the base - if it ever points through the collision mesh to another part then the stretch will fail until the pointer moves back over a solid part of the base.

Good luck!

I'm sure this will make me look even moar useless than I am, but I've unzipped this mod into my Gamedata folder and nothings showing up in the VAB or SPH. Tried to reinstall but still no good. Using the latest version of KSP and this mod. What am I doing wrong guys?

Are you playing sandbox or career mode?

If career mode, have you unlocked enough research nodes? If you have most of them, have you gone back to the research tree, checked all the nodes and "bought" the new parts - the game demands that you do this manually for every part you add via a mod, even if you have already unlocked the relevant modes.

Alternatively you may have unzipped the wrong sub-folder of the zip into GameData. In GameData you ought to have a folder called "Keramzit". If you have a folder "GameData" inside GameData then you need to drag the files inside the inner GameData out, then delete the inner GameData.

I don't think I understand how the interstage adapter works. I'm trying to use it to create a wider engine fairing for the LV-N. The adapter shows up as a decoupler in the staging view, but when I activate it via staging it doesn't come apart. Here's a pic of the setup I'm going for, with 2 of the fairings removed for examination's sake:

GP7i1d7.png

Well, different directions stretching didn't work.

Maybe it's because i'm using 0.23.5?

Using 23.5 here, interstage adapter works correctly. Do note that there are different keys that need to be held down for different changes. And there are 3 different "radius" settings.

On that note:

I don't think I understand how the interstage adapter works. I'm trying to use it to create a wider engine fairing for the LV-N. The adapter shows up as a decoupler in the staging view, but when I activate it via staging it doesn't come apart. Here's a pic of the setup I'm going for, with 2 of the fairings removed for examination's sake:

http://i.imgur.com/GP7i1d7.png

Not sure what's wrong. The setup looks fine to me. Maybe it gets stuck in the 2.5m tank's collision box due to the extra height? (I assume it's actually connected to the bottom of the LV-N?)

You could try using a proto-interstage with two fairing bases facing each other.

Edit2: The interstage is meant to act as a decoupler that conceals something attached to the decoupled stage. With that in mind, perhaps you should turn it upside down and put it above the adapter holding the LV-N, then connect the lower stage to the interstage and leave the LV-N hanging like that?

Edited by Sean Mirrsen

http://i.imgur.com/GP7i1d7.png

No idea. I've used almost that exact setup before, with no problems. Though my fairing top height tends to be a bit wider than yours, so you might look into the clipping theory.