[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

1) I've deleted the old version of this mod and installed the new one. Then I researched the new parts in the research center. Well, I wanted to... Only the interstage fairing adapter and the thrusterplate were shown as new and researchable parts. The two different "normal" fairing bases could not be found in the tech tree. Instead I only found the old versions of this bases in the tech tree. Because of this I wasn't able to use the new fairing bases in the VHB. The parts showed in the part list, but unresearched and therefore not usable.

Try opening your persistent.sfs file in a text editor (after BACKING IT UP of course), doing a search for "Kz", and deleting any references found in Tech{} nodes. That should reset the relevant parts of the tech tree.

2) As you've already mentioned it in the changelog, crafts created with the old mod are no longer able to be loaded in the editor. Is there a convenient way to chance those craft to make them loadable again?

e-dog, you might want to look at RealChutes. They did a similar upgrade from many-sized to procedural parts, and aside from having to delete the "legacy parts" folder in each new install, I'd say it went rather smoothly.

EDIT: dumbel, I just thought of a slightly easier workaround: try copying Ships/ from your save file to a new sandbox game, editing the parts in the VAB there (where you should have no tech restrictions), then copying back. Still lots of manual editing, but you only need one pass per ship instead of two.

Edited by Starstrider42

Try opening your persistent.sfs file in a text editor (after BACKING IT UP of course), doing a search for "Kz", and deleting any references found in Tech{} nodes. That should reset the relevant parts of the tech tree.

[...]

EDIT: dumbel, I just thought of a slightly easier workaround: try copying Ships/ from your save file to a new sandbox game, editing the parts in the VAB there (where you should have no tech restrictions), then copying back. Still lots of manual editing, but you only need one pass per ship instead of two.

Thank you very much for your input. I will try this tomorrow as soon as I can.

I'm a very recent user of this mod (was hooked on KW Fairings until they broke. I'll never go back!), and this update has me wet as october. Much appreciated, and I'll report any bugs I may or may not find :)

With the caveat that I haven't tried the update yet, since I have several active vehicles with the old parts...

In the previous release, I tried using the tweakables menu to resize things, and found it was much clumsier, less precise, and generally inferior to holding R and J to get my fairing exactly the right size. I'd much rather keep the keyboard settings if at all possible.

Also, I saw the changelog about updating the radial nodes, and that's good, but how about the stack nodes? The old 2.5m and larger parts had nodes that were too small, and the changes in 0.23 (or was it 0.23.5?) made things fall apart, especially when using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement. Have the stack nodes been updated?

Hate to sound like I'm complaining. This fantastic mod is indispensable to me. :)

Bug Report,

K0wbWOU.jpg

When I return into the VAB my craft is split. I select the separated parts and detach to reatach correctly. (Nodes appear correct) when I go to launch seems ok but when I return to VAB its split again.

Edited by Prowler_x1

The 3.00 update seems to break Procedural Parts for me, which is a shame because I was really looking forward to using the new thrust plate :(

It seems to interfere with the mod somehow and I get similar issues to Prowler_x1.

Is there an interstage ring that allows thrust to pass through it? I remember HoneyFox made a separate part, and I have it downloaded. Just wondering if it's been added, or something. :)

I've noted one (two) issues with this update:

1) I've deleted the old version of this mod and installed the new one. Then I researched the new parts in the research center. Well, I wanted to... Only the interstage fairing adapter and the thrusterplate were shown as new and researchable parts. The two different "normal" fairing bases could not be found in the tech tree. Instead I only found the old versions of this bases in the tech tree. Because of this I wasn't able to use the new fairing bases in the VHB. The parts showed in the part list, but unresearched and therefore not usable.

They should be in the Flight Control tech, please check it. Sometimes new parts don't show numbers on the nodes in the tech tree.

2) As you've already mentioned it in the changelog, crafts created with the old mod are no longer able to be loaded in the editor. Is there a convenient way to chance those craft to make them loadable again? The only solution I could think about was to edit all this crafts with the old version of the mod, delete all fairing parts and temporally stick them together without the fairings. After saving and updating the mod the fairings could be recreated by the new mod version. But I would really like to have an easier way to do this because if have some crafts that are using the fairings in a rather complicated way and my solution would be really cumbersome.

You can copy them to a sandbox game, replace parts there and then copy them back. The issue is only with career mode because it doesn't allow loading vessel designs that have parts not in the tech tree.

Bug Report,

When I return into the VAB my craft is split. I select the separated parts and detach to reatach correctly. (Nodes appear correct) when I go to launch seems ok but when I return to VAB its split again.

Craft file please. Preferably minimal (stock+PF).

Also, if you're using Procedural Parts, you can try looking for KSPAPIExtensions.dll in GameData and deleting extra ones to keep the newest one only. Swamp-Ig said it should detect and use the latest version automatically, but I think there might be issues with that.

In the previous release, I tried using the tweakables menu to resize things, and found it was much clumsier, less precise, and generally inferior to holding R and J to get my fairing exactly the right size. I'd much rather keep the keyboard settings if at all possible.

If it's done like Procedural Parts then it's a win.

Yes, that's why I changed it to custom tweakables from KSPAPIExtensions, used by Procedural Parts mod. They have two pairs of increment/decrement buttons (1.25 and 0.125 steps) and a slider for precise control between small steps.

And node sizes are handled properly now too.

Is there an interstage ring that allows thrust to pass through it? I remember HoneyFox made a separate part, and I have it downloaded. Just wondering if it's been added, or something. :)

Do you mean fuel crossfeed? If yes, it's disabled for interstage because it confuses delta-v calculators like Engineer Redux.

I didn't have time check 3.0 yet but is it possible to change the increments in diameter to even sizes for RealismOverhaul? Procedural Parts has a ModuleManager patch for DiameterStep 1.00 and that works fine.

I didn't have time check 3.0 yet but is it possible to change the increments in diameter to even sizes for RealismOverhaul? Procedural Parts has a ModuleManager patch for DiameterStep 1.00 and that works fine.

Not yet, I'll add it to my to do list. Even sizes are possible now, of course, just need more clicking.

Small request: I use 12 sides for some of my designs and I want to make them available for download (it's an executive jet with chairs). Also the reason I want to make a transparent element. Would you like to include a change in the config files for 12 sides? I want to practice and create the transparent element myself but when it's ready, would you be interested to include that in the package?

agsZZky.png

Do you mean fuel crossfeed? If yes, it's disabled for interstage because it confuses delta-v calculators like Engineer Redux.

No. what he means is a model with hollow collider in the mid of the interstage adapter so that the engine thrust will not be "absorbed" by it. i.e. if you decouple the lower stage with a decoupler and still have an interstage adapter attached to the bottom of the upper stage engine (in other words, two-plane separation), it won't stop the upper stage from accelerating to get away from the lower stage.

Sounds like some good changes, nicely done!

Am I the only one who can't download? Getting an SQL Connection Error after clicking the download button on the github page.

(Entirely possible it's just me - I'm at sea and on a rather eccentric satellite connection).

Yes, that's why I changed it to custom tweakables from KSPAPIExtensions, used by Procedural Parts mod. They have two pairs of increment/decrement buttons (1.25 and 0.125 steps) and a slider for precise control between small steps.

And node sizes are handled properly now too.

Perfect. Glad to hear it. Now I'm looking forward to getting rid of the vessels with the old parts so I can use the improved version.

Awesome update, can't wait to give it a shot. Thanks e-dog. You just keep doing what I need every time ;)

EDIT: I tried to give you more rep points but it won't let me, have a cookie instead :P

Small request: I use 12 sides for some of my designs and I want to make them available for download (it's an executive jet with chairs). Also the reason I want to make a transparent element. Would you like to include a change in the config files for 12 sides? I want to practice and create the transparent element myself but when it's ready, would you be interested to include that in the package?

No. Increasing number of nodes would mean adding another part and deprecating the old one again. Otherwise saved ships (those in flight) won't load properly.

You can make your own mod though, and include transparent element with your 12-sided base. The PF license is very permissive (you just have to put a notice that PF is made by me).

Note also that you need to add actual nodes in the config file. Positions don't matter, but the nodes must be there, just increasing the maximum number in the node tweaker module won't work - you'll get strange issues when loading those vessels in VAB and in flight (saved games).