[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Well, I can't attach struts to the structural fairing. And since the fairing parts are for my saucer section with a diameter of 142 meter I wonder what I can change in the part.cfg so the struts will.

Okay kind of have mixed feeling about the update. First I still think the bases are far to thick. For a better design see the kosmos implementation of the same bases, they are much thinner. Secondly, I do not see why you cannot add a option to enable or disable decoupling. Once again the kosmos bases have decoupling enabled which meand for interstage stuff you have to be careful to put them in a safe place in the staging. Being able to enable or disable procedurally would be the best solution though. Finally, I like the parabolic fairing option you get with the kosmos mod. You might consider adding this option.

Finally, I have a huge number of ships (almost everything I have built) in fact has a fairing and guess what? They are all now greyed out in the VAB. Is there anyway to get them back and convert them to the new version. Given the choice of rebuilding all my ships from scratch or just reverting back to 2.44 I will revert. I am to deep into career to have to stop and rebuild all my ship designs from scratch!

Finally, I have a huge number of ships (almost everything I have built) in fact has a fairing and guess what? They are all now greyed out in the VAB. Is there anyway to get them back and convert them to the new version. Given the choice of rebuilding all my ships from scratch or just reverting back to 2.44 I will revert. I am to deep into career to have to stop and rebuild all my ship designs from scratch!

How about the following Module Manager config:

@PART[KzProcFairing*]:HAS[~TechRequired[]]
{
%TechRequired = start
%category = Utility
@title ^= :^:[Deprecated] :
}
@PART[KzInterstageAdapter]:HAS[~TechRequired[]]
{
%TechRequired = start
%category = Utility
}

(Warning: I haven't actually tested it myself)

This won't auto-convert your ships, but it should at least let you see old designs in the VAB without having to do a bulk copy/edit.

The category = Utility is just to make sure that you don't mix up the old and new fairings; you can put them in category = Aero if you prefer.

omg and I of course deleted the version 2.4.4 when I updated and I cannot no find the old version so that I can role back!!! Is there a repository of old versions so I can get back to the one that I had. I cam to far into this career run to rebuild over 70 ship designs that are now greyed out in the VAB.

Or you could copy them into the game's top level Ships/VAB folder so they are visible in sandbox - edit them there and save them, move them back to your save's VAB folder and voila! I believe this was already mentioned when 3.0 was released.

Uh, please please don't start adding duplicate copies of PF. As the post above (and e-dog) said, the old parts are still there. They've just been set as unavailable. Use the above MM patch to make them available again.

Need some help here. I updated the mod from 2.4.4 to 3.0.2, after which I re-researched the different parts that were highlighted.

However, when I go to the VAB/SPH the new parts are still greyed out and says they need to be researched, however every part has already been researched.

Oh, and it's career mode, if it makes a difference..

Hello e-dog. Thanks to you mod, I could make this Saturn V-like rocket, with ejectable fairing around the Lunar Module, and fuselage fairing to make the hull of the Service Module. Good for esthetic, but it's also functional!

55bad804-0c5f-46b6-b1e5-6d74cbcfcf71.jpg

32b642fe-4924-4cdb-83aa-22f9e3485309.jpg

Thank you! Best mod for KSP!

Edited by Tom Robin

Is there any way to prevent fairings from ejecting at all? Removing the base from the staging unfortunately doesn't prevent any fairings from detaching, causing it to fall off.

I'm looking to use it to create nice, smooth looking panels on the descent stage of a lander, but I want the fairing to remain when the ascent stage detaches. At the moment I'm sticking the fairings at a stage further than the decoupler used to separate the ascent stage, but it'd be nice to remove it from staging entirely.

How about the following Module Manager config:

@PART[KzProcFairing*]:HAS[~TechRequired[]]
{
%TechRequired = start
%category = Utility
}
@PART[KzInterstageAdapter]:HAS[~TechRequired[]]
{
%TechRequired = start
%category = Utility
}

(Warning: I haven't actually tested it myself)

This won't auto-convert your ships, but it should at least let you see old designs in the VAB without having to do a bulk copy/edit.

The category = Utility is just to make sure that you don't mix up the old and new fairings; you can put them in category = Aero if you prefer.

Hey thanks. Must have been a posting delay. I honestly did not see this post until after I posted again. What file do I save this in and in what directory do I place it? I am not a mod'er myself so not quite up to speed on this kind of stuff.

Is there any way to prevent fairings from ejecting at all? Removing the base from the staging unfortunately doesn't prevent any fairings from detaching, causing it to fall off.

I'm looking to use it to create nice, smooth looking panels on the descent stage of a lander, but I want the fairing to remain when the ascent stage detaches. At the moment I'm sticking the fairings at a stage further than the decoupler used to separate the ascent stage, but it'd be nice to remove it from staging entirely.

Use the Fuselage Fairings from the Structural tab - those are intended for exactly your application, and don't eject!

Hey thanks. Must have been a posting delay. I honestly did not see this post until after I posted again. What file do I save this in and in what directory do I place it? I am not a mod'er myself so not quite up to speed on this kind of stuff.
Open Notepad. Paste that in. Save it to "PFTech.cfg" (WITH the quotes) and place it in the Keramzit folder.

@ctbram: Just so you know, e-dog has deprecated the Keramzit folder and moved the Procedural Fairings folder up into the Game data folder. Nathan's solution will work just as well in the Procedural Fairings folder.

Hello e-dog. Thanks to you mod, I could make this Saturn V-like rocket, with ejectable fairing around the Lunar Module, and fuselage fairing to make the hull of the Service Module. Good for esthetic, but it's also functional!

***snip***

Thank you! Best mod for KSP!

Very nice modelling!

I have a few small requests.

There's probably someone who posted it, but I don't have the time to read 180 pages of this topic. I wonder how the fairing shape values are to be interpreted.

I mean these values:

noseHeightRatio=2
baseConeShape=3.0, 3.0, 1, 0.5
//noseConeShape=0.5, 0, 1, 0.5
//baseConeShape=0.3, 0.3, 0.7, 0.7
noseConeShape=0.5, 0, 1, 0.7
baseConeSegments=7
noseConeSegments=11

I need a few hollow shapes for the hull, mainly the saucer sections from dorsal and ventral to the wide side of the saucer. Also the ventral shape of the secondary hull, just before the shuttle bay, is a shape which is unattainable without editing the config file.

enterprise-deck-plans-sheet-4.jpg

And I would be delighted if somehow the hardcoded size limitations could be relaxed. And I want to build a modpack for the people who want to build extremely large vessels. Base and top diameter are limited to 30m, length 50m. Also, node placement can not go wider than 5m if node resize is set to true. I edited a lot (all) of the interstage values but the KZnodenumbertweaker imposes it's will and other values are ignored. The good thing is that you can increase number of nodes without manually entering the coordinates. The point is: I want kerbals to be able to roam the ship. The interstage adapter has it's collider as a barrier, the hollow adapter is perfect but the nodes are placed inside it's ring.

I'll see about moving those hard-coded values to some config files.

As for fairing shape: Bezier spline is used. It has two endpoints (on the spline) and two control points (off the spline). The endpoints are fixed at (0, 0) and (1, 1) to make a cone, which is then scaled as needed to match required diameter and height. The two control points between them are specified in the config file, as you see. The four numbers are their coordinates: x1, y1, x2, y2. That's all relative to the (0, 0) ... (1, 1) range so it can be scaled/stretched later.

It's easier to tune it in some program (2D or 3D) that has Bezier splines to match the shape you want to create and then measure the control point coordinates and scale them to the 0...1 range.

I only have the 1.25m Fairing Bases. I downloaded 3.02... am I missing something?

Their size is tweakable now. You get several parts, each resizable. If you are in career mode then there are limitations on size based on your current level of advancement.

Is the Interstage Fairing Adapter broken?

The fairings aren't covering the whole base for me anymore. Also the Attachmentpoints are in the middle of the base.

Screenshot please, and make sure you installed the mod correctly and removed the old one.