[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

If anyone else is having trouble with the fairings not ejecting with any force then right click the part and jettison that way, they still jett with force for some reason. Im using the stock decoupler fix by serbian for for x64, not sure if that makes a difference.

If anyone else is having trouble with the fairings not ejecting with any force then right click the part and jettison that way, they still jett with force for some reason. Im using the stock decoupler fix by serbian for for x64, not sure if that makes a difference.

Just tried that and it didn't work any different :( Great fix for the stock decouplers though!

I cannot get the decoupler fix or right clicking to do anything different than by staging normally. Hopefully this gets fixed. "upgrading back to 32bit" just seems like giving up :( Plus I enjoy not needing ATM or even needing to think about what I have installed when it comes to textures :D

Just tried that and it didn't work any different :( Great fix for the stock decouplers though!

Same problem here. It seems the jettison torque works for me though, so I'll just have to hope they don't hit any of my lower stages for now.

Adjusting the torque to max doesn't make that much difference. I'd simply go with KW until this was fixed, but I use the fuselage mode in a few things..... Which may be why torque isn't doing much?

WORKING FIX HERE: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/87127-Fixed-Decoupler-for-KSP-x64-on-Windows-v4-%28July-22%29?p=1297778&viewfull=1#post1297778

Needs the decoupler fix mod in that thread, modulemanager, and the cfg file/text in that post.

I am sorry for the ignorance, but I read through your post and didn't get what exactly did you fix and what is the effect of that cfg you created?

Maybe later. I'm disappointed Squad didn't add support for procedural costs despite being asked in advance, so I don't want to play KSP or do anything with it now, sorry.

Sounds like this just arrived with the 24.1 hotfix

@e-dog:

Modding:

* Added IPartCostModifier interface, to allow part modules to tweak a part's cost.

From the 0.24.1 changelog, isn't that exactly what would be needed for procedural costs?

Not sure if that's the case... I just tested it and it does have a pretty puny decoupling force, but if you look at the part description in the VAB it says it has a ejection force of just 100. If you look at the other, smaller decouplers they are a lot more powerful - for example, the 1.25M decouplers have an ejection force of 250 and the 2M decoupler's force is 600. I suspect they goofed on the part and it was supposed to have an ejection force of 1000. If that's the case, it should be pretty trivial to patch with a MM script.

anyone getting issues about an KSPAPIextensions error when loading the game? It popped after updating to 24.1. I found this file (kspapiextensions.dll) in the procedural fairings mod folder.

14716328556_7cbd3b5777_o.jpg

Edited by ManaElement

Sure, Taniwha and NathanKell only just released 1.6.2 of KSPAPIEx (for 0.24.1), and I can see recent commits on the Procedural Fairings git repository, so e-dog is definitely working on it

Maybe I'll be more lucky here: I'm using FAR with this awesome mod, as well as, amongst other mods, Remote Tech 2. I'm having huge difficulties to launch communication satellites with dishes, for they get destroyed during ascent, even when thay "should" be protected by the fairings. I know the mod's description states they can't be shielded from aerodynamic stress, but is there a workaround ? I asked in FAR's topic where Ferram told me there as indeed a workaround, but nothing more.

Thanks guys.

What exactly do your satellites look like? I've never had any trouble launching a rocket with FAR and PF(or even without it and with a sensible craft).

Give us some screenshots. Perhaps you are not designing your rockets correctly, or your satellites are too unbalanced(but from what I remember from RT - its antennas are pretty compact and light).

In any case try an overkill ascent stage, with enough dV(about 5k) to get your payload to 30-35 km before starting your turn. At this point the AoA is no longer important, since the atmosphere is already thin enough.

Also do not use more than 1.5 TWR, since with FAR this always means you are doing it wrong - such an overkill is not needed.

You give no indication on the amount of knowledge you have about FAR rockets, so I just assume you are new to it, forgive me if this is not true.

Thanks Smunisto for taking the time to help :)

This is the ship, and this is the top payload. As you can see it's not overpowered (I adapt the throttle in flight to never exceed 2Gs), the launch went smoothly, no wobling, no atmospheric effects, but when I jettisoned the fairings at ~80km I noticed the dishes had fallen off. The flight log said the atmospheric pressure had the attachment fail.

After some research, I think I have found several ways to correct this, mostly by putting the dishes in an in-line fairing under a tank or something, but I'd like to know if there's a way to protect parts inside the fairings from atmospheric stress (as it should be).