[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

I was trying to add interstage nodes to the couplers so they can be used with the interstage adapter.

Sadly the top node doesn't seem to serve a good purpose as it does attach as intended but does not trigger any effect on the fairing's size:

GT7vqy3l.png

That's the topnode 4m up with 2m or more extra height so the fairing doesn't cut as much into the engines.

The node I added to the coupler is right in the middle of the 4 normal nodes and a size 2 one.

Interstingly though does it also not trigger shrouds when attached to engines.

Interstage adapters themselves DO NOT DECOUPLE. That decoupler is there only so MJ and KER understand it's not crossfeeding. The whole point of the interstage adapter is that the fairings support the weight of what's above it (that's why that floating node is floating, and not supported by the adapter itself. Therefore to actually decouple whatever is attached to that node, you decouple the fairings.

e-dog: can you please add something like this to the FAQ? It's not exactly intuitive, and is asked every week or so.

Is the "Future Plans" list just a jumbled variety of ideas that have been brought up and considered, or is there are order to them? First being soonest, etc. I originally came to ask about potential texture switching and such, but saw it in the list.

Any reason as to why PF decided to not work today? According to FAR my payload is Shielded=False and go figure it took me 30 launches to figure out why my rockets that worked last night now flip over.

LOG

OUTPUT

No changes were made other then reinstalling PF and FAR.

EDIT: Nevermind. That works now.

Edited by Motokid600

Anyone else having trouble getting the staging icons to appear? No matter what I do they just don't get put in the staging list. I can't right click to decouple manually either (not sure if that's a thing in this but it should be) so the whole addon has become useless for me. Any ideas how to fix this?

screenshot7.png

Edited by Alshain

Anyone else having trouble getting the staging icons to appear? No matter what I do they just don't get put in the staging list. I can't right click to decouple manually either (not sure if that's a thing in this but it should be) so the whole addon has become useless for me. Any ideas how to fix this?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/Alshain/KSP/screenshot7.png

Something's broken in your installation and you remove the whole thing and reinstall. If you still have trouble, cause the problem again and post logs.

Something's broken in your installation and you remove the whole thing and reinstall. If you still have trouble, cause the problem again and post logs.

This was after a reinstall. I'll try and get the logs but I have a lot of trouble uploading them anywhere.

EDIT: Ok, looks like I fixed it, though I'm not sure how.

Edited by Alshain

Alshain: You were using the structural fairings (which don't have a decoupler) instead of the fairings from the aerodynamics menu.

No, I wasn't. I don't even have fairings on the structural tab. (But I haven't finished the career). It's broken again btw.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9097777/output_log.zip

EDIT: OH! I see what you mean, sorry I was looking for fairing bases. Yeah you may be right. Thanks, I think that was my problem.

Edited by Alshain

No, I wasn't. I don't even have fairings on the structural tab. (But I haven't finished the career). It's broken again btw.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9097777/output_log.zip

EDIT: OH! I see what you mean, sorry I was looking for fairing bases. Yeah you may be right. Thanks, I think that was my problem.

Ctap I should have seen that. Sorry.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v445/Alshain/KSP/screenshot7.png

The solution is simple.... You are not using the fairings, you are using the fuselage parts, located under the structural and not the aero tag. Fuselage parts have no decoupler, as they are used to hide stuff away.

I've found 2 bugs with latest version:

- Everytime I open R&D, there's a duplicated fairing/ring part.

- I can never fully unlock the interstage fairings, it always shows "This part requires an entry purchase". I go to R&D, unlock it, it keeps showing this message, I got back to R&D and now there's +1 interstage fairing part.

This happens on career mode.

Screenshots:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/25l6xp11whwlq1g/Captura%20de%20tela%202014-08-20%2001.59.33.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i3ysozacdjyu522/Captura%20de%20tela%202014-08-20%2002.00.01.png?dl=0

I've found 2 bugs with latest version:

- Everytime I open R&D, there's a duplicated fairing/ring part.

- I can never fully unlock the interstage fairings, it always shows "This part requires an entry purchase". I go to R&D, unlock it, it keeps showing this message, I got back to R&D and now there's +1 interstage fairing part.

That's very strange. Does it happen if you only have PF, without any other mods?

That's very strange. Does it happen if you only have PF, without any other mods?

Actually, doesn't that kind of sound like a problem with the legacy parts? Like maybe he tried to reenable them? (ala that 'fix' that people were pushing awhile back)

Hey, I searched this thread and while I found a lot of complaints about the thrust plate overheating with LV-Ns and DREC, there were no real solutions (reducing the heat output of them to 300 as suggested is already done by DREC), but I think I found one.

DREC, by default, halves the maxtemp of any part that goes above 2500°C. Not clamps, but halves. That's why the thrust plate ends up with 1800°, which is not enough to sustain multiple LV-Ns even with their reduced output while in flight (DREC seems to leave landed crafts alone, which screwed up my testing quite a bit, and start to burn up the plate while it's still well below the stated 1800°). If you change the plate maxtemp to 2500°, DREC leaves it alone and everything starts to work. I'd suggest this as a quick fix as a lot of people who use fairings will probably also use DREC, and multi-LV-N is one of the obvious applications of the plate.

I've been using this mod on and off for a good amount of time now and I've been wondering, will more fairing texture options become a thing any time? Or are there textures I haven't seen yet?

I've been using this mod on and off for a good amount of time now and I've been wondering, will more fairing texture options become a thing any time? Or are there textures I haven't seen yet?

Excellent question. This is an option that I have been wanting for a long time.... I hope that it will be able to use the same textures that PP uses... We can hope......

Here you go. KW-textured PFairings, as well as a few others.

Ah. I have seen those textures before and they look pretty awesome. I thought they where for the KW rocketry fairings only. They work here too? Also, if the images are PNGs I could make my own. Any chance a texture slider will be put in soon like procedural parts has?

Ah. I have seen those textures before and they look pretty awesome. I thought they where for the KW rocketry fairings only. They work here too? Also, if the images are PNGs I could make my own. Any chance a texture slider will be put in soon like procedural parts has?

@Master Tao, thanks for the link, but just like Avera9eJoe, I am looking for / wishing that the textures could be like as implemented in Procedural Parts. Selected via slider option... Fast way to look / decide which looks best....