[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Andrewmacor,

Seeing as I'm the one who told you to update your mods, I'll explain a bit more. The particular mod incompatibility you described and pictured before explained all your issues, but those issues should be completely resolved after updating your mods. It sounds llike you were having two different problems, but the fairing decoupling problems you continue to have were masked by the mod incompatibilties everyone was having. ;.;

There are other possible causes of fairing decoupling problems. One common problem is that there are two kinds of fairing sides: one set in the Aerodynamics tab that can decouple (yellowish), and another set in the Structural tab that can't (gray).

If that's not the problem, you'll definitely need to post an output log as requested before. You can locate that by reading the How to Get Support sticky in the Support (modded installs) forum. It will also tell you the rest of the information you should include in a support request. That thread's new and it's doing a great job getting players real help by showing everyone what information we need to help you. Most people on the forum are happy to help, but we can't do that without good information. :)

It appears the Thrust Plate multi adapter does not have (fuel) crossfeed, am I missing here something?

Also why is it if I configure them in quad formation under Rockomax Jumbo-64 Fuel Tank and engage (using a fuel pump) only the first attached Plate sticks at the surface while the 3 others sink into the tank making the rocket? uncontrollable?

Edited by FreeThinker

You are building too tall. That wobble would occur with or without the fairing. Either strut it or build smaller.

That turns out not to be the case, Alshain. I've given up on using the fairings because of this and the same stack flies perfectly without them. It's like they are made of jelly.

That turns out not to be the case, Alshain. I've given up on using the fairings because of this and the same stack flies perfectly without them. It's like they are made of jelly.

I observed the woble as welll but I though it was caused by the docking ports

I've never had the "auto struts" do anything I can tell, on larger launches I always change to 4 fairing nodes and add struts myself on the inside up and down 45 degrees to payload, more than one set if the payload is long.

And I use the stronger KW/B9 struts

I skimmed through the thread and it seems it hasn't been asked before, sorry if I missed the answer: is it possible to add a ModuleHeatShield to the fairing sides?

I know that they are already shielding a bit with FAR, but I'd like to have an option of making them heavier, more expensive but with a bit of actual heatshield-shielding (no heat conductivity until a smallish amount of AblativeShielding is gone).

I started with this simple approach (taken from the small heatshield and changed a bit) but nothing seems to have been added or it has been removed again:

@PART[KzProcFairingSide*]:HAS[!MODULE[ModuleHeatShield]]:AFTER[DeadlyReentry]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleHeatShield
direction = 0, 0, 0 // [B]if I read the comments in the DR code right that should add an omnidirectional heatshield, because I don't know how to get the correct direction vector for a fairing[/B]
reflective = 0.05 // 5% of heat is ignored at correct angle
ablative = AblativeShielding
loss
{ // loss is based on the shockwave temperature (also based on density)
key = 650 0 0 0 // start ablating at 650 degrees C
key = 1000 64 0 0 // peak ablation at 1000 degrees C
key = 3000 80 0 0 // max ablation at 3000 degrees C
}
dissipation
{ // dissipation is based on the part's current temperature
key = 300 0 0 0 // begin ablating at 300 degrees C
key = 500 180 0 0 // maximum dissipation at 500 degrees C
}
}
RESOURCE
{
name = AblativeShielding
amount = 150
maxAmount = 150
}
}

If anyone knows how to accomplish that please let me know :)

Sorry if this has been asked a billion times before, but do the fairings actually reduce drag with stock aerodynamics?

I'm guessing not, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

no, when using no stock aerodynamics you are best of launching a pancake since it will be most efficient.

no, when using no stock aerodynamics you are best of launching a pancake since it will be most efficient.

OK, that's what I figured. I knew nosecones and the like were useless, I was just asking on the off chance that the mod had some code to cancel the drag of whatever was inside the fairing or something like that. Guess I'll just be using this for aesthetic reasons then.

Well they work fine for me. You have to be over building your rocket or using a large amount of weak joints. If your unwilling to post a picture I really can't help.

I've never had the "auto struts" do anything I can tell, on larger launches I always change to 4 fairing nodes and add struts myself on the inside up and down 45 degrees to payload, more than one set if the payload is long.

And I use the stronger KW/B9 struts

Auto-struts do not strut the payload. They strut the pieces of the fairing shell to each other. EDIT: I may have misread that. Your saying the auto-struts don't do anything to keep the fairing together? That hasn't been my experience. Without the auto-strut feature, I've noticed the two pieces seem to flex at the seam, to the point you can see inside it. With the feature on, that doesn't happen.

Edited by Alshain

OK, that's what I figured. I knew nosecones and the like were useless, I was just asking on the off chance that the mod had some code to cancel the drag of whatever was inside the fairing or something like that. Guess I'll just be using this for aesthetic reasons then.

There's always FAR/NEAR, that shields stuff inside fairings.

You mind posting your cfg for it and do you have RT2 installed try'ed it and the Antennas still break.

I changed nothing, default configs from the downloads.

No I don't have RT2 at the moment but I had. The thing with RT antennas breaking is, I think, a RT2 specific thing handled inside of RT2 which doesn't need FAR to rip off antennas so it probably just ignores the fairings.

I'll probably install it when I start a new save in 0.25.

Do it now (the initial crashing) so you'll be ready for 0.25!

...I knew nosecones and the like were useless...

Nosecones are not useless as long as they are placed ahead of the CoM. Their lower drag coefficient than other parts will tend to keep the ship facing the right way.