[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Careful, just replacing a dll can (potentially) cause problems if the plugin isn't recompiled against the new version (of KSPAPIExtensions). If it works, great, but just a caution.

Are your engine nozzles sticking into the ground? They will produce no thrust at all if that is the case. Raise the rocket off the ground with launch clamps or put decouplers on the bottom of each rocket. (or at least enough to raise it off the ground. Even a fraction of a meter is sufficient)

I have replaced the kspapi dll. Which for me was just in game data/ procedural fairings folder and the fairings are working fine. Everything seems to run ok too. As for the texture issue brought up, idk much but my fairings have always been plain white.

concerning the rocket that won't move off pad, the above quote is probably the issue. Since the changed all buildings to be capable of damage somehow, I had a rocket that was slightly below ground in VAB hVe a weird and giant explosion when it spawned on launch pad. So make sure you have a slight gap now as mentioned above.

Edited by Hevak

If a mod does not say 0.25 in the title, you should not expect it to work in .25

You may be able to make it sorta-work, but don't claim sorta-work = work, either, please.

Let's have a tiny weensy bit of patience, shall we?

Also: no, Proc Fairings does not use TweakScale. Both PF and TweakScale use the same tweakable *interface*, provided by KSPAPIExtensions, but both have their own scaling code.

I rebuilt what was in github with the new KSPAPIExtensions. Seems to work just fine. Until the proper update, you can try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v25yx97ucetk1tx/ProcFairings_3.09_mmdfix025b.zip?dl=0

Source (unchanged from e-dog's version): https://github.com/e-dog/ProceduralFairings

This is unofficial, so please don't report issues to e-dog. Thanks to Fusty on IRC for the additional testing.

EDIT: As NathanKell said, there may be issues. Seems fine thus far, but you never know.

EDIT2: Changed the URL to a new package because Chrome was being silly and giving a false positive for malware. It didn't like e-dog's batch files. There was no malware in there, period. I also made it from his release package by replacing his .dlls, so it is smaller. Removed obsolete text from this post.

Edited by Addle

@Addle: This same kind of BS is what caused stupid_chris to pack up shop and quit. "Seems to work", really. Since we shouldn't report issues to e-dog, who do we report issues to...YOU???

I'm still in awe, the post immediately prior to yours is a MODERATOR telling people to have patience, and you can't wait an hour from the time he posts that to your release.

@Addle: This same kind of BS is what caused stupid_chris to pack up shop and quit. "Seems to work", really. Since we shouldn't report issues to e-dog, who do we report issues to...YOU???

I'm still in awe, the post immediately prior to yours is a MODERATOR telling people to have patience, and you can't wait an hour from the time he posts that to your release.

Addle is perfectly in the clear to make their own version of Procedural Fairings, provided it is correctly attributed. The Creative Commons license as specified on the initial post for this thread allows this.

Wow, relax. I'm doing no harm, here, and I'm well within the license. Just trying to help people (the horror!). I seriously doubt e-dog will mind. If he did, I'd take it down for him. And if you have issues, yes, you can let me know, but basically, provided as-is. If it doesn't work, we wait. We'll live. I tested it well, and Fusty also tested it for me. No issues found. If I'm ever impatient for a mod update, I just think of Minecraft modding, and then realize how lucky we are.

Well idk what's happening here. But I just want to say that I don't think anyone said this mod "works". In fact I think the complete opposite was said, that it "does not work". And then a few helpful people found and offered the information that downloading said kspapi file would seem make the mod apparently work again in the meantime.

I see no one violating any rules or any thing close to that. But since many of us have just been chastised for finding a way to enjoy this mod in the meantime until an official update can come from the creator I will just clarify my post a few up from here.

This mod does not give any warning messages when loading KSP. But when in the game the only issue I had personally was the inability to change the size of the fairing base. All other aspects of this wonderful mod kinda, sorta, maybe appeared to function in some capacity that was kinda, sorta, maybe like it was before.

I simply downloaded and replaced the KSPAPIextensions.dll in the procedural fairings folder in my personal game data folder connected to my personal installation of this game on my own personal PC. This simple change and work around offered by a few other posters seemed to kinda, sorta, maybe in a way appear to make the size adjusting button kinda, sorta, maybe in a way appear to show up again. And I am now kinda, sorta, maybe in a way able to click on these buttons to kinda, sorta, maybe in a way change the fairing base size. This has allowed me personally to kinda, sorta, maybe in a way utilize this great mod in a manner that may or may not be kinda, sorta, maybe in a way similar to how it kinda, sorta, maybe in a way worked before the KSP 0.25 update.

I am in no way kinda, sorta, or in any way at all affiliated with the creation or upkeep of this mod. But I am very appreciative of all the fine helpful people who have clearly stated and posted clever work arounds for this and many other mods that have been affected by the most recent update.

Just because use this and I am interested in and using a clever work around for a mod that has been affected by the update in no way means I am impatient nor am I claiming in any way that this mod "works in KSP 0.25." It does not work and I can't wait (not literally of course, I can wait and am still waiting)for an actual official update to be released. So please forgive me for wanting to continue to use the mod personally for my own benefit to enjoy and play my personal copy of KSP in the meantime.

Edited by Hevak

Before this gets out of hand, I want to say a few things with my moderator hat on.

1. All posts of DLLs must abide by the addon posting rules. Right now the posted zip needs a little note saying "recompiled by Addle" or something; the license says you can fork/redistribute, but you can't modify without attribution (including to yourself, as I understand it ;) )

2. The license does indeed allow forking, recompiling, redistributing, etc., so long as the terms of the license are respected.

3. Licenses apply when you share things, not for personal use.

3. This is a very different situation from the Real Chute thread for any number of reasons which I will not go into here because this is not the Real Chute thread.

Now, mod hat off.

As a *modder*, I tend to advocate patience. I have just done so on the TweakScale thread, and I did so above. e-dog has been active on the forum *today*. e-dog might update the mod, might not but say use Addle's fix, might say please don't use that, or might do any number of things.

So let's leave it there, shall we?

Edited by NathanKell

Before this gets out of hand, I want to say a few things with my moderator hat on.

1. All posts of DLLs must abide by the addon posting rules. Right now the posted zip needs a little note saying "recompiled by Addle" or something; the license says you can fork/redistribute, but you can't modify without attribution (including to yourself, as I understand it ;) )

2. The license does indeed allow forking, recompiling, redistributing, etc., so long as the terms of the license are respected.

3. Licenses apply when you share things, not for personal use.

3. This is a very different situation from the Real Chute thread for any number of reasons which I will not go into here because this is not the Real Chute thread.

Now, mod hat off.

As a *modder*, I tend to advocate patience. I have just done so on the TweakScale thread, and I did so above. e-dog has been active on the forum *today*. e-dog might update the mod, might not but say use Addle's fix, might say please don't use that, or might do any number of things.

So let's leave it there, shall we?

i understand the point. But as a moderator, and I suppose general user of the forum. Your post just before this one was in many ways confrontational and inflammatory. And as a moderator posting it, it should have possibly used more standard formatting and tact to deliver your message. Instead of some giant type and a bolded message about being impatient. You posted it before addles release was up so it wasn't directed at that post. But the ones that simply linked to another file you yourself compiled and is used by this mod and stating that it can work to fix the issue. It was really a very simple and non problematic discussion of help going on until your post that seemed to be directed at people who were just being helpful within the rules here. I can't speak to the alternate release as that wasn't even posted until after.

Anyways good luck luck to all the users and modders. Cant wait (figuratively) for all the mods to be updated for the new Version of ksp.

I apologize if that post came across as inflammatory; it was certainly not my intention. My intent was, and remains, to try to prevent people using unofficial fixes and then posting complaints or support requests for e-dog to deal with if (when) they don't work. Or not doing so, but still posting about how (within a *day* of a new release of KSP) a mod is not updated.

If neither of the latters happen, the former (posting unofficial fixes) is of course fine!

I rebuilt what was in github with the new KSPAPIExtensions. Seems to work just fine. Until the proper update, you can try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nznqnmnvf95x1qn/ProceduralFairings_3.09_mmdfix025.zip?dl=0

Huh, I'm getting a malware warning from Chrome when I try do download this. I guess I'm waiting until PF gets a proper update (And TAC-LS... gettin antsy to start my new career save!)

@RedAV8R: IMO, the tone and content of NathanKell's post above was perfectly fine, and not nearly as thuggish or condescending as I've seen from many other moderators on this forum. He's one of the good ones around here.

Huh, I'm getting a malware warning from Chrome when I try do download this. I guess I'm waiting until PF gets a proper update (And TAC-LS... gettin antsy to start my new career save!)

@RedAV8R: IMO, the tone and content of NathanKell's post above was perfectly fine, and not nearly as thuggish or condescending as I've seen from many other moderators on this forum. He's one of the good ones around here.

Yep I'm getting a malware warning using chrome as well :blush:

Yep I'm getting a malware warning using chrome as well :blush:

That makes no sense. Seriously doubt there's malware in there. For one, I'm on Linux, and second, I compiled it all myself except KAE. Not impossible, but seems highly unlikely. Chrome isn't complaining for me either. Very likely a false positive. That's sort of upsetting. Looking into it now.

EDIT: Got it, it was the Windows .bat files triggering it. False positive. I'm putting together another one by copying the new DLLs into the released .zip e-dog made. Will be up shortly. Sorry for Chrome's derpyness. :)

Edited by Addle

Haha, even if someone comes along and fixes things HE'S DOING IT WRONG!

Thanks for the fix Addle! Works great on linux 32 or 64 bit.

I don't use chrome. But norton generally removed every DLL. File that comes with Newly updated mods. But the reason norton does this is because it is not known to be any virus, but the file is unknown and new. It happens with all the mods Roverdude creates every time he updates them, and I've come to trust his mods. Norton uses a crowd sourcing function to determine if it's bad and since it's a new file it doesn't know if it can trust it. I've never had one show up as malicious, or anything. Even when doing a malware scan. Norton just rejects it on the basis on not knowing it. If I download older mods that have been around awhile it usually doesn't reject the dll's

I downloaded the KSPAPI from the direct link from the people who make it and it didn't like it. So idk how chrome does things, but it's probably for the same reasons. But in the end it's a personal choice to download or not or take any risk of such things. Just wanted to share what my experience has been.

Edited by Hevak

Ok, sorry about that. To be clear, it didn't like the .bat files e-dog uses to build, and there was no malware in there, ever. It shouldn't complain about this one:

The source code is unchanged from e-dog's version, and can be found in the usual place: https://github.com/e-dog/ProceduralFairings

As always, this is unofficial, and do not, under any circumstances, bug e-dog about it. Thank you all for letting me know. Also, thanks to e-dog for being awesome.

Edited by Addle

Well, as long as you share your fix proposal with e-dog and save him some work i dont see any issue here :)

I understand why people would be impatient about this one (and i am, honestly) as this is a keystone mod for many of us. The temp fix seems to work for me but i got a kraken visit while launching a payload, it will take some time (and a lot of launches) to find which mod does it.

Well, as long as you share your fix proposal with e-dog and save him some work i dont see any issue here :)

I understand why people would be impatient about this one (and i am, honestly) as this is a keystone mod for many of us. The temp fix seems to work for me but i got a kraken visit while launching a payload, it will take some time (and a lot of launches) to find which mod does it.

No fixes, just a dependency update and a recompile.

The old version with the new KSPAPIExtensions DLL is working fine for me in Sandbox; fairing bases resize with no problem. I'm about to move my main savegame over from 0.24.2, where several craft have resized fairing bases as part of their structure.

Edited by JWag

Ok, sorry about that. To be clear, it didn't like the .bat files e-dog uses to build, and there was no malware in there, ever. It shouldn't complain about this one:

The source code is unchanged from e-dog's version, and can be found in the usual place: https://github.com/e-dog/ProceduralFairings

As always, this is unofficial, and do not, under any circumstances, bug e-dog about it. Thank you all for letting me know. Also, thanks to e-dog for being awesome.

Thanks, Addle, it works fine!

I didn't think there actually was malware in there, I just prefer to be cautious and thought i should let you know about the error.

Thanks again for your work on this :wink:

Chrome seems to be overly sensitive when it comes to "potentially dangerous" download. .BAT file (system batch file, kind of like a script) could theoritically be used to do nasty things. In that case, was just used to help in compiling the source code from what I understand.

Thanks for the unofficial update to 0.25 by the way.