[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

In the download is a 'deprecated' folder, can I safely delete it, or does it still have a purpose?

If you have ships in your save that were built with older versions of PF (when each base size was a separate part instead of one part with tweakable size), the "deprecated" folder contains hidden versions of those old parts to allow those ships to load. If all of your ships were built with the tweakable-size parts, you don't need it.

What is the difference between the custom fairing base and the smaller fairing base?

Only looks and mass. If your payload is wider than the base, then the taller part gives you room for a smoother taper from the base to the full diameter. Or if you want to put batteries or instruments inside a fairing base, the taller one has surface attachments that are easier to get at. If your payload is shaped so you don't need the standoff, the smaller part is lighter for the same diameter.

Only looks and mass. If your payload is wider than the base, then the taller part gives you room for a smoother taper from the base to the full diameter. Or if you want to put batteries or instruments inside a fairing base, the taller one has surface attachments that are easier to get at. If your payload is shaped so you don't need the standoff, the smaller part is lighter for the same diameter.

Thanks for the advice on how to use it!

I know you could manually reshape the fairings in the past but I can't find out how to do that now. It seems you switched to a fully automatic system which unfortunately doesn't work in all cases:

Wee12bj.png

In this case the engine lacks an attachment node so I used an improvised decoupler. The system fails to recognize this.

Edited by theend3r

I know you could manually reshape the fairings in the past but I can't find out how to do that now. It seems you switched to a fully automatic system which unfortunately doesn't work in all cases:

http://i.imgur.com/Wee12bj.png

In this case the engine lacks an attachment node so I used an improvised decoupler. The system fails to recognize this.

Right click the fairing base to reshape the fairings. You will find controls on the pop-up menu.

Help!

I've enjoyed this mode for awhile, now all of a sudden it's not working right.

When I add fairings, they don't show up as a stage and can't be assigned to an acction group: clicking on the fairing brings up its name in action group window but there's no jettison option.

Only thing I did differently is install FDAI. I've tried uninstalling FDAI, re-installing PF, but nothing works. Thanks.

Help!

I've enjoyed this mode for awhile, now all of a sudden it's not working right.

When I add fairings, they don't show up as a stage and can't be assigned to an acction group: clicking on the fairing brings up its name in action group window but there's no jettison option.

Only thing I did differently is install FDAI. I've tried uninstalling FDAI, re-installing PF, but nothing works. Thanks.

Well I kind of got it working, I removed the fairing ring and re-installed, then it worked. It stopped working again later but the same trick got it back. Not sure why it's gone flakey on me but I can live with it. Great mod, really adds to the immersion.

I've seen a similar problem, with fairings that don't have the jettison capability. To work around this in the VAB or SPH, I replace the problem fairings by deleting the problem fairings AND THE PROBLEM BASE and re-adding them. Then it's fine. (Oh, and you can also check the parts while in VAB or SPH by right clicking - if they don't show ejection force, they won't separate.)

The first time this happened, I had already launched the ship. YMMV, but I was able to hand-edit the appropriate ship in the save file to add the necessary module. Much easier to just check in the VAB and fix it there.

Edited by Gryphon
NINJA'D!

Has anyone made a hollow interstage ring base without support inside? Should be good for cosmetic purposes. The default base cross is bad for beauty shots.

Yes, it's somewhere buried in this topic. Alternatively I could put it on dropbox. Just needs a config edit to make it work with 0.25.

Hi, I'm using Realism Overhaul with FAR and DRE.

The fairings doesn't "shield" when the size of the faring base is bigger than 2.3 meters? With The scaling of the parts of RO, 2 meters is really small :(

Is this a know problem? Or this is just me?

Edited by Paulestrada

Hey there folks, recently decided to add a few mods to my ksp. After adding this mod, upon loading the game throws an error that a mod is incompatible with the 64 bit version of ksp. If I remove the procedural fairings folder from the gamedata folder, it stops throwing the error. The game then just crashes on load.