[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

I've encountered a bizarre problem when using interstage adapters

Hmm. Looks like a conflict between the two interstages. From what you have described the node for the lower interstage is connected to the parachute/ interstage two connecting node. This would work if you connected the attachment node from interstage one to the lander engine node - it wouldn't be the design you're looking for exactly, with the lander slightly exposed on takeoff, but it would be more aerodynamic and you would save one interstage and one small decoupler on the lander.

I've encountered a bizarre problem when using interstage adapters and I'm hoping someone can point out what I'm doing wrong. Attached is a screenshot of what I'm trying to build. When I launch this thing I get a strange effect where the parachute detaches from the top section and remains fixed in space. The rest of the rocket then lifts off until the kethane scanner impacts the parachute and the whole thing stops dead, engines still running. In attempting to replicate this effect on a simpler vehicle I was unable to attach parts to the bottom of the top fairing ring. Am I misunderstanding how these adapters are supposed to be used? Is it not normally possible to have parts extending into the interstage area from both top and bottom? I thought I remembered building rockets this way from a while back, but I could be wrong. Thanks.

Arch Linux

KSP .25

RealChutes

Kethane

Deadly Reentry

Procedural Fairings

http://i.imgur.com/OUmDLG7.jpg

You only need one interstage fairing - the procedure you are using there, with two adapters, works if you use the normal fairing plates.

You only need one interstage fairing - the procedure you are using there, with two adapters, works if you use the normal fairing plates.

How do you attach the top fairing base ring if the the pieces on either side of the interstage don't have nodes? In the image I posted before, the parachute cannot connect to the survey unit. Is this kind of assembly just not possible with current implementation? I can actually make it work with two interstage fairing rings connected at the top nodes, but it makes for 8 total fairing pieces and can look pretty crappy. I there a more elegant way of doing this?IgmNGkv.jpg

KSPAPIExtensions has been updated for 0.90 and is awaiting official release by the author/moderators.

Soon! friends

EDIT: Please use e-dog's official 3.11 release.

I rebuilt Procedural Fairings 3.10 against the new KAE. It works fine for me. :)

No licensing or other infringement intended:

Download:

bvb

Let me know if you have issues.

-Teslamax

Edited by Teslamax
referral to official build

I rebuilt Procedural Fairings 3.10 against the new KAE. It works fine for me. :)

No licensing or other infringement intended:

Download:

• Dropbox (link removed)
  • Google Drive (link removed)

Let me know if you have issues.

-Teslamax

Geat... somebody made a fix.... but it has been taken down....

Shouldn't we wait until the original author, e-dog, updates this mod? I mean, it is their creation and they deserve a bit of patience while they are working on the update, right? Respect the creator and their creation

I don't really see an issue, as long as e-dog doesn't have a problem with it (IMO the only important thing). In contrary, it means he doesn't have to hurry as much. Similar things have been done for B9 and it saved the devs some maintenance work.

And it's not like Tesla is modifying the mod. He is just updating it to a 3rd party plugin from yet another modder.

Definitely waiting for this mod to update. FAR without procedural fairings makes the game boring.

Btw. KW Rocketry is still working. I use the fairings from there until pFairings is updated :)

Shouldn't we wait until the original author, e-dog, updates this mod? I mean, it is their creation and they deserve a bit of patience while they are working on the update, right? Respect the creator and their creation
I don't really see an issue, as long as e-dog doesn't have a problem with it (IMO the only important thing). In contrary, it means he doesn't have to hurry as much. Similar things have been done for B9 and it saved the devs some maintenance work.

And it's not like Tesla is modifying the mod. He is just updating it to a 3rd party plugin from yet another modder.

I agree. I don't *think* that e-dog will necessarily have a problem with this and he may well appreciate it if he's too busy to do anything himself right now.

Though it would probably be better to restrict it to just the plugin dll as a drop-in replacement.

I don't have the problem with it. KAE DLL wasn't released yet when I went to bed, so I didn't update PF.

I guess I'll add some minor features and release it today.

Also, the tutorial is obsolete, so if anyone will make a good one for the current version of PF, I'll put it in the top post.

I agree. I don't *think* that e-dog will necessarily have a problem with this and he may well appreciate it if he's too busy to do anything himself right now.

Though it would probably be better to restrict it to just the plugin dll as a drop-in replacement.

Good points. I didn't look at it this way at first. As long as e-dog is good with it I don't see any issue. Thanks

I am having trouble with the PF mod. I am currently using RSS + RO, as well as FAR, TAC Life Support and a few other minor mods, but I have the same problem when using vanilla KSP and just PF.

I am using KSP .25.

So here's what happens: When I open the aerodynamics tab in FAB, it gives me the three different types of fairing bases, interstage, elevated base and ring base. I choose one, let's say elevated fairing base. I attach it to the base of my payload, and.... nothing. It doesn't give me a blueprint of how the fairings will look like. I tried attaching one of the PF side fairings to the attachment nod on the side of the base, and it doesn't change.

Quite simple, nothing happens. I've updated the KSPAPIExtensions.dll to the .25 compatible version, still nothing.

Am I missing something?

How do you attach the top fairing base ring if the the pieces on either side of the interstage don't have nodes? In the image I posted before, the parachute cannot connect to the survey unit. Is this kind of assembly just not possible with current implementation? I can actually make it work with two interstage fairing rings connected at the top nodes, but it makes for 8 total fairing pieces and can look pretty crappy. I there a more elegant way of doing this?http://i.imgur.com/IgmNGkv.jpg

I see the difficulty, the two fairing-base approach doesn't give you the node to attach the parachute.

I think what I would do is use one interstage-base, with the small blue decoupler (the one under the probe) attached to the top node - then two fairing pieces will hold the decoupler in place (or appear to hold it).

Then use on of those...I cant remember what it is called, but it is a surface-attachable plate with an attachment node on it, specifically so you can surface-attach non-surface attachable items. It looks like a short, squat cylinder with a slightly wider disc on the top.

Surface-attach this part to the underside of the small decoupler and attach the parachute to it.

In fact, you can do away with the small blue decoupler as the top node on the interstage plate is a decoupler, so you can directly attach that top node to the battery instead, and the surface-attachable plate to the bottom of that, with the parachute.

If Im right, then you can stage the two fairing plates and the base plate together and the probe and fairing plates will be released, with the parachute attached to the probe.

Hope that helps!