[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Do the procedural costs and masses depend on how wide the fairings need to go? If not, they really need to. I was doing some tests just now, and got some...nonsensical results.

For example, take a Rockomax X200-32 fuel tank (the half-an-orange-tank one), and put a fairing base at the bottom, and a fairing around it. If the fairing base has a diameter of 1.25m, the fairings have a mass of 0.204 and a cost of 1,222. If the fairing base has a diameter of 2.5m, the fairings have a mass of 0.43, and a cost of 2,351. However, if you look at the fairings, the ones from the 1.25m base need to immediately go out to 2.5m to get around the tank, so they should actually be MORE massive than the fairings with the larger base. (Of course, the fairing base mass is completely reasonable, but the fairing mass dwarfs the base mass much of the time anyway.)

I dislike this because it means that I can get a cheaper craft by making one that doesn't make sense with real-world logic, and matching real-world logic is a large part of the reason to have procedural fairings in the first place.

I don't know if this is issue belongs to FAR, Procedural Fairings or DeadlyReentry so please tell me if I should ask it in another thread.

When I load a previously saved ship and start it, my procedural fairings have two info fields for "Temperature" and "Ambient" on right-click.

I also have the feeling that those fairings heat up faster.

I don't know if this is issue belongs to FAR, Procedural Fairings or DeadlyReentry so please tell me if I should ask it in another thread.

When I load a previously saved ship and start it, my procedural fairings have two info fields for "Temperature" and "Ambient" on right-click.

I think those fields are added by Deadly Reentry. I've seen them on stock parts, and it's the kind of thing DRE cares about. "Temperature" is the part temperature, and "Ambient" is the ambient air temperature that DRE is using.

Those are things from DRE. I don't know how to change the heating thing, however.

Any word on different textures for the fairings yet.. been like 6-7 months since you said you were going to implement them and I like to us this mode to make different fuselages but the single textures are getting little old now..

Is the "Interstage Fairing Adapter" a decoupler as well as a mount for interstage fairings?

Yes, but if you attach something to the top node(the node hanging in the air) and there is not a single fairing at the rear nodes, the part attached to the node will detach right after the launch.

My shields puff and puff!

Bug.png?_subject_uid=324743395&w=AADaWoA1mTMWcKSifenrioA7IiM-yf6N_pg4qbrlGJDWxw

I found that if using the Interstage Fairing Adapter, add fairings, and attach something with a decoupler at the top it will start puffing "decoupler" smoke in the editor. Seems to only happen when that decoupler part also has ModuleJettison.

Reproduce (or see picture above):

1. Create a new craft with an Interstage Fairing Adapter, add fairings, and attach something to the top that has both ModuleDecouple and ModuleJettison (like my heat shields).

2. Save craft.

3. Load craft. Let the puffing commence!

Link to my heat shields:

https://github.com/LostOblivion/OblivionAerospace/releases/tag/v0.1.3

Some useful observations:

1. If launching, the puffing is not there.

2. ... and if reverting, the puffing is gone in the editor.

I'll look into your code and see if I find anything.

Edit: I found the bug is actually an incompatibility with TweakableEverything, specifically TweakableEngineFairings, which also has some other, possibly related, problems, specifically this one, probably because you are both trying to tweak ModuleJettison behaviour. However, I think the problem can be solved in either this mod or TE (or both) by looking over what happens in OnStart, OnLoad, etc., because the puffing does not happen when returning to the editor from a reverted flight, only right after loading a saved craft.

Edited by LostOblivion

I'm having a problem with the interstage fairing adapter. For me, after placing an adapter to the bottom of a tank using the floating node up the top, I cant then place an engine onto the tank as well. I remember doing this previously, the only thing I can think of is KJR may be interfering. Does anyone have any solutions?

Huy guys, great mod! But got a problem getting it to work with tech tree mod 'Mod-Oriented Tech Tree' and coulnd't find a solution in this thread.

The mod has custom techID nodes for fairing mods and their fairing sizes.

The PF base rings are all placed in their correct modded nodes and I can unlock them!

The issue: the PF size functionality (for above 1.25) is only unlocked when you unlock the tech node with the stock required techID (aerodynamicSystems for example) and does not correspond to the custom fairings node from MOTT (techID = fairings).

Now I had a look in all PF part.cfg's and thought changing most RequiredTech techIDs would do the job, but changing them to the corresponding custom techID nodes didn't work.

Now I am sort of at a loss on how to get it to work.

Could anyone help me out?? I'd really like using PF with MOTT tech tree mod.

Dude I love this mod! Its going in my "wont play without" -list. What i really wish for is custom textures, been looking for a while now to find something. Unfortunally im unable to make my own mod because im just not skilled enough. Is there a simple way to change textures? I found some texture packs but what i really would like is somethin like its done in procedural parts. I would love to have my fairings matching the rest of my ship.

Dude I love this mod! Its going in my "wont play without" -list. What i really wish for is custom textures, been looking for a while now to find something. Unfortunally im unable to make my own mod because im just not skilled enough. Is there a simple way to change textures? I found some texture packs but what i really would like is somethin like its done in procedural parts. I would love to have my fairings matching the rest of my ship.

Not sure how there doing there textures but if you looked at Kerbal Stock Launcher Overhaul by blackheart he done some with Firespitter plugin

MODULE
{
name = FStextureSwitch2
//showListButton = True
textureNames = KerbalStockLauncherOverhaul/Parts/Aero/ProceduralKXFairing/Plain White;KerbalStockLauncherOverhaul/Parts/Aero/ProceduralKXFairing/Kerbal X Original;KerbalStockLauncherOverhaul/Parts/Aero/ProceduralKXFairing/Sponsored Fairing
objectNames = model
textureDisplayNames = Plain White;Kerbal X Original;Sponsored Fairing
useFuelSwitchModule = True
fuelTankSetups = 0;1;2;3
}

Great mod! I have a question though : does the fairing prevent lift and drag on shilded parts? I tried to enclose a small plane in a fairing on top of a rocket, to prevent aerodynamic forces to make it flip upside down (rarely a good thing for a rocket), because of small wings placed too high, but it doesn't seem to change anything. I use NEAR. Also, the center of lift doesn't change in the editor. Am I missing something?

OK, don't know why, but now it works fine. When I add the fairing the blue marker goes down a lot. I really don't know what changed because I think I'm doing exactly the same thing.

Help... Proc_Fairings has stopped playing nice!

I recently installed 6.4x MOD and now whenever i save a rocket in VAB and load it back up none of the parts are real anymore, staging disappears, and the parts catalog becomes un-clickable. Does anyone know what my issue may be? I love this MOD and its on my "will not play unless it runs" list of mods. This only occurs if i have a PF part staged into the rocket in the VAB.

I'm not very programming savvy at all, so any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: Attempts at reversing this apparent bug have been unsuccessful: I have removed 6.4x and have been methodically removing each other mod to see if this still occurs. It seems to have no consistency, but only occurs when a fairing has been placed in the VAB. I am currently running only a few mods compared to the state i had prior to this. I have also done a steam verification of files, and have re installed the mods currently in use. I should be well below any memory limit for 32k windows version.

Any ideas i will gladly try out, thank you.

Edit2: The bug continues to occur even after i have selected a "create new" rocket in the VAB. I select a new seed - a cmd module and nothing happens. If I try a second time to "create new" rocket in the VAB it finally clears this bug and i can build a new rocket. The save file of the previous 'bugged' rocket forever remains bugged and must be deleted.

Edit3: Unable to reliably recreate bug. Did not get any feed back... complete re install and mod buildup... If i come across it again i'll post again.

Edited by philbo
Attempts to re create: