[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

This mod is officially dead. It serves no purpose other than to take up more space and ram on your computer now.

Wow I don't know who you think you are, but that is very rude, absolutely wrong, and completely asinine to say the least. Why don't you do everyone a favor and keep your opinions to yourself and out of this thread. Thanks

And what gives you the right to declare that? You are not the mod maker, you do not get a vote bigger than the rest of us.

This mod is not dead. Many will still use it. If you don't, fine, but what was the point to this post?

Maybe it was a joke? A really bad one? Reporting. The stock fairings are nice, and I really like some of the new functionality, but procedural fairings isn't going anywhere for me just yet. Probably won't be for a long time.

Edited by curtquarquesso

This mod is officially dead. It serves no purpose other than to take up more space and ram on your computer now.

That's our call to make; edog's as to whether he wants to continue and ours as to whether to support him.. You don't want to use it then don't use it. But nobody here cares what you think.

I'm still gonna stick with PF. I don't like how the stock fairings deal with the top or how they disassemble into a bag of chips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnPGDWD_oLE

Way to make me hungry :(

Edited by Starwaster

I'm still gonna stick with PF. I don't like how the stock fairings deal with the top or how they disassemble into a bag of chips.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnPGDWD_oLE

Agreed. I don't like the fact that you can't get them to make a smooth curve. There's also currently a bug with editing that I'm sure will get stomped. Difficult to describe. I have no doubt that stock fairings will eventually replicate a lot of the functionality that procedural fairings currently has.

e-dog: Have you looked at the the code behind how Squad has implemented fairings yet? Do you suspect that people will be able to make custom modded fairings like people can currently create other modded parts, or is Squad's fairing system a completely new beast?

e-dog: Have you looked at the the code behind how Squad has implemented fairings yet? Do you suspect that people will be able to make custom modded fairings like people can currently create other modded parts, or is Squad's fairing system a completely new beast?

Changing fairing texture would be quite easy, but otherwise I guess they aren't very mod-friendly. The shielding is done by stock cargo bay module, so one can probably make cargo-bay-like fixed-size fairings without coding anything.

This mod will never die. Either it will always be superior to stock fairings, or it will be implemented into stock, and thus live on forever. Stock fairings do their best to "keep things simple" - one part per fairing size. It's all fine and good to try and keep things simple, but that is just dumbing down the concept way too much. To me it seems a very big pitfall, in that it prevents any and all unintended usage, and isn't actually any better at all than the self-resizing Procedural Fairings. Not to mention it looks silly as all get out when separating. :P

On that note. e-dog, have you considered the option of making "open" interstage fairings have connection nodes at their top? So that they could, in turn, act as a fairing base for another set of fairings?

This mod will never die. Either it will always be superior to stock fairings, or it will be implemented into stock, and thus live on forever. Stock fairings do their best to "keep things simple" - one part per fairing size. It's all fine and good to try and keep things simple, but that is just dumbing down the concept way too much. To me it seems a very big pitfall, in that it prevents any and all unintended usage, and isn't actually any better at all than the self-resizing Procedural Fairings. Not to mention it looks silly as all get out when separating. :P

On that note. e-dog, have you considered the option of making "open" interstage fairings have connection nodes at their top? So that they could, in turn, act as a fairing base for another set of fairings?

Stock "fairings" are simple?

With PF, all you have to do is choose your size and attach one part - and it's done.

With "fairings", you have to move your mouse as precise as some Counter-Strike pro-gamer if you want to achieve something resembling real fairings and not some weird-shaped accordion which would explode like a pineapple grenade.

I guess you can already do that with interstage adapter, no?

Note that I'm also going to add stock-alike fairing base with part-less sides, but without that manual construction. Instead, they'll shape automatically based on attached payload and you'll be able to manually override size parameters like now. Plus switchable textures and shapes for the sides.

Stock "fairings" are simple?

With PF, all you have to do is choose your size and attach one part - and it's done.

With "fairings", you have to move your mouse as precise as some Counter-Strike pro-gamer if you want to achieve something resembling real fairings and not some weird-shaped accordion which would explode like a pineapple grenade.

This is what I meant:

Note that I'm also going to add stock-alike fairing base with part-less sides, but without that manual construction. Instead, they'll shape automatically based on attached payload and you'll be able to manually override size parameters like now. Plus switchable textures and shapes for the sides.

Each fairing is one part, it does not require a manual telling you how to work them. Place base, draw fairing. With PF you have to know what the fairing base does, what options it has, and what the four different fairing objects do. Stock fairings are more intuitive, more straightforward. PF are still better overall though - the "problem" can be solved by grouping the fairing parts together with the base in the list, and including instructions in both the base's and the fairings' descriptions.

Also, e-dog, that will be glorious. Ease of use /and/ customizability. :D

Edited by Sean Mirrsen

e-dog, awesome!

Anything you need from proc parts if you implement texture switching? Or is your plan no longer to use the pparts texture database?

I consider using a custom shader so that the mapping profile could define vertex colors too. That'll use less textures (for colored stripes etc.), similar to B9 procedural wings, and colors could be tweaked in-game too.

thank you for the update, the stock fairings are a big delusion for me

Can I advise you to not lose time with that? One of my main gripes with stock fairings is that all of their mass is in the base, as the side is massless, and ejecting the fairings have no advantage whatsoever until you drop the base too. In the end it's your call, but I don't know if it's worth to make something that works like stock and is just going to clutter the part list

Thank you for you support and kind words. Also, good luck attaching boosters to stock fairings.

e-dog, please don't be offended by one bozo in the forum. It is his opinion, and I guess for him, this mod is dead. For the rest of us, THANK YOU very much for continuing to update this

LGG