[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

What is the issue with the interstage exactly? Pictures?

If you try to snap a interstage fairing so that you have two attachment nodes aligned, when you let go, it snaps in place, but stays transparent.

aligned_1.jpg aligned_2.jpg

if you rotate so the nodes are not in line, it attaches OK.

unaligned_1.jpg unaligned_2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I have another problem: Interstage is not shielding parts in side.

"part shielded: 0"

scr_1.jpg

If I increase "extra hight" for 0.5m, then it is OK (but this look silly)

"part shielded: 3"

scr_2.jpg

It is the same in editor or in flight

both.jpg

--snip--

What is the issue with the interstage exactly? Pictures?

anyone else having issues with interstage fairing bases? regular fairings work fine, but interstages seem to be plagued with the same node attachment bug that is affecting many parts mods

It would seem that the orientation of one or both the stack attachment nodes are screwy, as going into the debug menu and activating "Non-strict part orientation checks" solves the problem, albeit in a bit of a roundabout way.

Hey e-dog, theres something going on with the fairings because I'm getting huge amounts of drag coming from the two fairings.

Edit: I'm using the fairing base ring, I'll see if it happens with the other one.

Edit2: It happens with both, and another thing, when I right click the fairing base ring in the VAB/SPH, I get MASSIVE amounts of lag.

screenshot22_zpszl6pjvnj.png

Edited by smjjames

Not sure how much this applies to stock, but FAR would give that fairing a good dose of drag as well. Not only is it at the front of the craft (and therefore subject to greater drag forces by default), the sharp neck at the base would give it a decent second dose of drag.

Not sure how much this applies to stock, but FAR would give that fairing a good dose of drag as well. Not only is it at the front of the craft (and therefore subject to greater drag forces by default), the sharp neck at the base would give it a decent second dose of drag.
That's because I was forced to use size 1.25 instead of the next level up, and maybe that actually IS normal, I don't really know for sure.

Precisely, this should be expected even, though you seem to have a very controllable and slower acceleration and stuff. I've had the stock fairing creating lots of drag and heat from high pressure super-sonic effects, and them blowing up.

Shouldn't be different at all, I only wonder if the procedural ones also have proper thermal properties.

Am I the only one that is getting an insane frame drop when tweaking the fairings? Specifically the interstage fairings. The FPS slows to a crawl, and this has never happened before.

Am I the only one that is getting an insane frame drop when tweaking the fairings? Specifically the interstage fairings. The FPS slows to a crawl, and this has never happened before.

i'm getting the same.

so currious thing is happening, am i the only one getting my rocket clipping through the fairings? and still having drag on items inside the fairings? is this related to the KSPAPIExtensions issue?

so currious thing is happening, am i the only one getting my rocket clipping through the fairings? and still having drag on items inside the fairings? is this related to the KSPAPIExtensions issue?

Can't speak as to drag, but rocket clipping through the fairings, yes. Strut the topmost part of your stack to the fairing wall.

(there is an auto strut option but I've never found that to work, and from looking at the code, it looks like it struts near the bottom of the stack, which is no good and will never be stable. (not for tall stacks or any stack of moderate height)

Can't speak as to drag, but rocket clipping through the fairings, yes. Strut the topmost part of your stack to the fairing wall.

(there is an auto strut option but I've never found that to work, and from looking at the code, it looks like it struts near the bottom of the stack, which is no good and will never be stable. (not for tall stacks or any stack of moderate height)

If the auto strut code is still the same I wrote a few months ago it struts about every second part to the base, not only those at the bottom.

This is not an optimal solution, though, since they should probably be strutted to the fairings.

Updated to 3.13:

• Updated for KSP 1.0.2.
  • Rewrote automatic payload struts, strutting all shielded parts now.
  • Fixed bug when it was impossible to revert sometimes.
  • Fixed slowdown in the editor when tweaking fairing sides.
  • Fixed thrust plate mass parameters.

Updated to 3.13:

• Updated for KSP 1.0.2.

Thanks e-dog, awesome

If you try to snap a interstage fairing so that you have two attachment nodes aligned, when you let go, it snaps in place, but stays transparent.

http://s28.postimg.org/ttuyveigp/aligned_1.jpg http://s28.postimg.org/uyp10s4xl/aligned_2.jpg

It looks like a stock node attachment bug with thin parts. I got the same effects with the stock 1.25m decoupler. If you move the mouse up a bit, it turns green and attaches fine, if you move the mouse down a bit, it turns red and won't attach.

A workaround is to increase the adapter or ring base size before attaching it.

Updated to 3.13:

• Updated for KSP 1.0.2.

So the payload is automatically strutted now and you don't have to apply regular struts between the payload and the fairing anymore?

I'm still getting an extreme framerate drop when I'm tweaking the fairings (the aerodynamic ones) and it starts when I right click a fairing.

I'm also using tweakable everything, so maybe something is coming from there.

There is a typo in "KzInterstageAdapter2":

explosiveNodeID = top1

shut be

explosiveNodeID = top

PartLoader: Compiling Part 'ProceduralFairings/adapter2/KzInterstageAdapter2'
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)
Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)
Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

There is a typo in "KzInterstageAdapter2":

explosiveNodeID = top1

shut be

explosiveNodeID = top

That's not a typo, it decouples the topmost floating node (top1), not the one on the base plate. The decoupler is there so that delta-V calculators like MechJeb/KER can figure out what that part does.

Um, after the update(s) i have installed this mod many times and yet still i have this bug that when i place any of the parts your mod provides they stay tranclusent and don't even occupy the node i placed them to nor can i attach anything to them. Tried removing other mods and downloading this mod from other sites and still doesn't work. This began with 1.0 and still is continues in 1.0.2. And yes i have the latest version...