[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Yes.

I use decoupler, but fairing walls don't decouple.

http://i.imgur.com/Ipa0SwA.jpg

1. No decouple button.

2. No decouple icon.

Interstage adapter have decouple icon, but don't decouple and don't have decouple button.

You are using the wrong shell the ones that read fuselage do not decouple.
Are you sure you are using a fairing or a fuselage fairing? Fuselage fairings don't separate.

Ninjas. Gotta be ninjas.

What they said and look under the Aerodynamic tab.

There have been a couple posts about this and I am sorry if it was answered someplace in the thread. I did my best to search.

I am getting incredible lag trying to edit an interstage fairing. As soon as I click the base to adjust the parameters I go into what can only be described as slide show mode. I mean I am getting like 1 frame every 5 seconds. It's maddening! I click a adjustment arrow and then have to count to 10 before it takes effect. It's almost unusable! On top of that memory just goes up everytime I click the fairing base to make an adjustment until the game crashes and if I don't save after every click I end up losing all my work.

Please let me know what I can provide to help diagnose this. As it currently the interstage fairing is unusable. I can provide a link to a video showing the lag and memory leak. I just do not know what to do beyond that. The only parts mod I have is KAS, KIS, KW, PROC FAIRINGS 3.14.

edit:

Oh I am also using -force-opengl not sure if maybe ogl mode might be an issue.

Edited by ctbram

I am getting incredible lag trying to edit an interstage fairing. As soon as I click the base to adjust the parameters I go into what can only be described as slide show mode. I mean I am getting like 1 frame every 5 seconds. It's maddening! I click a adjustment arrow and then have to count to 10 before it takes effect. It's almost unusable! On top of that memory just goes up everytime I click the fairing base to make an adjustment until the game crashes and if I don't save after every click I end up losing all my work.

Please let me know what I can provide to help diagnose this. As it currently the interstage fairing is unusable. I can provide a link to a video showing the lag and memory leak. I just do not know what to do beyond that. The only parts mod I have is KAS, KIS, KW, PROC FAIRINGS 3.14.

edit:

Oh I am also using -force-opengl not sure if maybe ogl mode might be an issue.

First, your output_log.txt (it's in KSP_Data folder). Second, a craft file where it happens, preferably with stock and PF parts only.

I have a problem with PF: when I launch a rocket something inside the fairings explodes. I thought it was something touching the fairings, but I tried to fix it: something else exploded. When I try to launch the same vessel without fairings nothing strange happens.

Any Idea of why it happens?

GzcHsnP.jpg

I have a problem with PF: when I launch a rocket something inside the fairings explodes. I thought it was something touching the fairings, but I tried to fix it: something else exploded. When I try to launch the same vessel without fairings nothing strange happens.

Any Idea of why it happens?

http://i.imgur.com/GzcHsnP.jpg

Looks like you need to update Deadly Reentry. Duplicate DRE icon, things exploding on launch pad.... looks like you're an update or two out of date.

Looks like you need to update Deadly Reentry. Duplicate DRE icon, things exploding on launch pad.... looks like you're an update or two out of date.

I've installed DRE with CKAN, wich say that I have version 7.0.3 but it has downloaded the 7.0.1. Thanks!

I thought that was PF and not DRE because without fairings (or with stock ones) there were no explosions.

I've installed DRE with CKAN, wich say that I have version 7.0.3 but it has downloaded the 7.0.1. Thanks!

I thought that was PF and not DRE because without fairings (or with stock ones) there were no explosions.

If you are downloading things with ckan then your Modular Flight Integrator will be out of date too and will break things.

Does anyone else have the problem that the fairings can't be staged? I mean, after adding the fairings to the base, no icon is added to the staging, so I can't actually deploy them. Is this perhaps a known conflict with another mod?

Does anyone else have the problem that the fairings can't be staged? I mean, after adding the fairings to the base, no icon is added to the staging, so I can't actually deploy them. Is this perhaps a known conflict with another mod?

There are two types of fairings:

- ones in the "structural" tab cannot be decoupled

- ones in the "aero" tab, yes.

If you are downloading things with ckan then your Modular Flight Integrator will be out of date too and will break things.

I've updated everything and nothing changed. I found these:

- only the MechJeb part explodes;

- it explodes only (but not always) when:

- - is inside the fairings;

- - is touching something which is not it's parent part.

I don't know which mod has problems, I'll write it also in the MJ thread.

First, your output_log.txt (it's in KSP_Data folder). Second, a craft file where it happens, preferably with stock and PF parts only.

It appears to be a conflict with the tweakableeverythihng mod. I can reproduce the problem consistently. I discovered it in the most serendipitous way. I got a notice that there was an update from 1.09 to 1.11 of TE so I updated. Then I started a fresh game to see if I could reproduce the problem before I satarted puslling out mods to check for a conflict. But as soon as I picked part and then a fairing base I could not get to the fairing base context menu. I thought gee the only thing I just changed was ... tweakableeverything. So on that I decided to pull TE and see if the problem went away and it did. I put the old 1.09 back in and it was lagging like mad again. I put TE 1.11 in and it I could not get to the context menu for the PF fairings anymore.

So I pulled TE and the associated dependancies that were not needed by other mods (toadacustools) and I left EVAManager that was installed with tweakableeverything in case it was needed byb something else. Then I went to the original saved game I had the lag problem and it was gone.

If you like I can try to pull a simple example game with just PF and TE to create something easy and reproducible. Then I can send you the craft file and the log file? just let me know.

Thanks,

RM

There are two types of fairings:

- ones in the "structural" tab cannot be decoupled

- ones in the "aero" tab, yes.

Thanks for the wake up. How the heck did I start getting in the habit using the fairing in structural?! Boy, do I feel dumb.

It appears to be a conflict with the tweakableeverythihng mod.

It's (partly) a stock bug that's exposed by TweakableEverything, technically speaking:

There were actually two separate issues.

The first was the UI_FloatRange issue where tweakables would spam the onEditorShipModified event every Update when they were open, leading to hundreds of requests for rebuilds per second. This was affecting interactions with a lot of mods, especially mods that didn't use rate limiting on the event requests (FAR did, but we still made it rebuild every half second or so). This is a Squad bug; the tweakables should not be triggering event calls when nothing has changed. I've worked around this issue by introducing a dependency on a stripped-down version of KSPAPIExtensions.

The second issue was an animation issue that would have been affecting TweakableAnimateGeneric and TweakableLadders, where I was inadvertently putting animations into an inconsistent state. FAR monitors animations every Update, and when it detects a change it requests a voxel rebuild. Because the animations were inconsistent, FAR flagged them as changed every time it checked, leading to the same problem as above. I've resolved this issue by rewriting my animation handling code from the ground up.

I should have a release tonight (UTC-7).

As you can guess from the last sentence, TE has been updated to remove the lag.

It's (partly) a stock bug that's exposed by TweakableEverything, technically speaking:

As you can guess from the last sentence, TE has been updated to remove the lag.

Thx for the quick update. I was going to post on the TE forum but it was late and by the time I got back on today you had already seen my post in here. I wil grab the new version tonight.

I must say I am really impressed by how well you guys are able to figure out the squad API and the unity stuff and hook your code in. I would not not know where to start to figure out how to add mods into KSP.

I should really start looking at source examples and try to figure it all out. I do program in c# and model in maya and I have some parts mod ideas I'd like to explore.

Cheers,

RM

Edited by ctbram

Clicking on interstage makes the VAB soooo slow. Updating TE to see if their new version will fix this.

Also I had (non-deployed) radiator from NF RC, as well as various light decouplers, explode by themselves "upon reentry", some time after launch, while in vacuum, inactive, covered under the P-fairings. Other radiator on that same part stayed. Other decouplers, mostly front-facing, stayed too, but not all of them, while bigger half of back-facing exploded. Again, AFTER launch, on orbit, outside of atmosphere. That with DR+FAR enabled. Any thoughts?

Edited by cipherpunks

Clicking on interstage makes the VAB soooo slow. Updating TE to see if their new version will fix this.

Known stock bug. Mods have tried to mitigate around it but....

Also I had (non-deployed) radiator from NF RC, as well as various light decouplers, explode by themselves "upon reentry", some time after launch, while in vacuum, inactive, covered under the P-fairings. Other radiator on that same part stayed. Other decouplers, mostly front-facing, stayed too, but not all of them, while bigger half of back-facing exploded. Again, AFTER launch, on orbit, outside of atmosphere. That with DR+FAR enabled. Any thoughts?

Known issue with DR, I believe the latest dev tries to fix it.

- - - Updated - - -

Could someone recommend me a mod that has a heat shield type of procedural fairing?

Procedural Parts has proc heatshields. If you want heatshield shaped fairings you can do that with this mod. Otherwise I am not sure what you mean.

Known stock bug. Mods have tried to mitigate around it but....

Known issue with DR, I believe the latest dev tries to fix it.

- - - Updated - - -

Procedural Parts has proc heatshields. If you want heatshield shaped fairings you can do that with this mod. Otherwise I am not sure what you mean.

Fairings that look like heat shields.

I love these fairings, but I'm having a stupid bug with these. After placing a procedural fairing base, I can't right-click anything. The cursor shows the right-click animation, but nothing happens…

Here is my Gamedata:

6Nt6IzU.png

I'm getting back into KSP after not playing since version .24. It's nice that there are stock fairings, but I don't like them after having previously used Procedural Fairings. My one tiny complaint is that the Procedural Fairings placement in the tech tree isn't consistent with the stock fairings. You get Procedural Fairings before the stock fairings, which seems kind of cheaty.

I'm having the same problem as Zentro - I can right-click fine in the VAB, but once I place an interstage fairing base, I can't right-click anything until I leave the VAB and return. I can never get a PF part to show the right-click menu.

Is this the result of the updated TE?

Edited by Dkmdlb

@ZentroCatson @Dkmdlb

I'm having the same thing. The problem goes away when I remove TweakableEverything from my installation. I can't find a rollback version of TE that works, and I'm not sure if the problem needs to be fixed on TE's end or with PF.

I found the same. Removing TE fixed the issue for me. Reverting to an old TE brought back the incredible lag.

For now PF is more important than TE. So I'm going with PF.