[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Small question.

knJyEXt.jpg

This aeroshell is designed to work as follows (designed for Eve direct entry):

- As it is in lower parts of the atmosphere, the heatshield decouples (it's attached to the probe) and the aeroshell parachute deploys, aiding in separation

- Near the ground, the probe decouples from the interstage base (it's attached to its floating node) and uses its engine and two small FASA chutes to land.

Would it even work? Tests on launchpad shows that all decouples correctly - but the fairing base tells that "Parts shielded: 0".

Any suggestions?

Small question.

http://i.imgur.com/knJyEXt.jpg

This aeroshell is designed to work as follows (designed for Eve direct entry):

- As it is in lower parts of the atmosphere, the heatshield decouples (it's attached to the probe) and the aeroshell parachute deploys, aiding in separation

- Near the ground, the probe decouples from the interstage base (it's attached to its floating node) and uses its engine and two small FASA chutes to land.

Would it even work? Tests on launchpad shows that all decouples correctly - but the fairing base tells that "Parts shielded: 0".

Any suggestions?

Wait, how can you construct a fairing from the heatshield when you don't have a fairing base?

Also how would I go about creating a partial fairing, one like for example the one used to shield the Lunar Module and the CM tanks in the apollo missions?

Wait, how can you construct a fairing from the heatshield when you don't have a fairing base?

Also how would I go about creating a partial fairing, one like for example the one used to shield the Lunar Module and the CM tanks in the apollo missions?

Well with alittle edit you can make anything a fairing base.

The fairing base (interstage fairing base in this case) is located between Mk16 chute and small battery. It is simply not visible here (but you still can attach fairing to it), and it's also upside-down (so fairing goes down, not up).

Apollo-like fairings - again, the interstage fairing base. But it can be hard to make it work right with that "Cannot activate while stowed" nonsense.

By the way, I've managed to make it work - you have to decouple the probe and deploy the aeroshell chute at the same time. Of course, that may cause a collision with the heatshield you've just discarded...

Edited by biohazard15

The fairing base (interstage fairing base in this case) is located between Mk16 chute and small battery. It is simply not visible here (but you still can attach fairing to it), and it's also upside-down (so fairing goes down, not up).

Apollo-like fairings - again, the interstage fairing base. But it can be hard to make it work right with that "Cannot activate while stowed" nonsense.

By the way, I've managed to make it work - you have to decouple the probe and deploy the aeroshell chute at the same time. Of course, that may cause a collision with the heatshield you've just discarded...

But the interstage fairing base clutters my spacecraft if i place it there :(. Can I make it invisible or smth?

Hello E-Dog.

I have a proposal. I have been running in science mode and fairings has been a big pain because the next size up isn't available until 30 missions or so after I needed it. So in mine I edited the cfg so that the starting size for PF is 1.875. This is because there are rockets available that have that size starting (OMSK and SLEV are the mods in particular.) at tech level 3. This way I can make use of those rockets without breaking the difficulty.

I figured others might find such a change useful so I am proposing that it should be the default behaviour for the mod.

For people who don't have mods with that size the proposed change would make no difference.

My AR-202 MechJeb control module is exploding on the launch pad with Procedural Fairings installed. The unit is attached to the command pod per default settings, no clipping. This is the first time I've used the fairings in 1.0.2. All other mods are up to date. Never had this issue in .90 .

Links to logs are attached.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4znr8vsn7msnfx/output_log.txt?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vcbr56gfaq73dwt/Troubleshoot.JPG?dl=0

Again, request for a fairing that looks like (and maybe even acts like) a heat shield. That is, a black heat shield, not yellowish. To clarify, it is a FAIRING, not stacking heat shield that I'm asking for.

Edited by FireFaced

Again, request for a fairing that looks like (and maybe even acts like) a heat shield. That is, a black heat shield, not yellowish. To clarify, it is a FAIRING, not stacking heat shield that I'm asking for.

Does such a thing even exist in real life?

The whole thing or just half ?

@e-dog If you do that, I would still love to see my username tucked in a description somewhere. Once upon a time, long ago, I funded this mod and that was my only request.

For anyone having the issue where interstage fairing base has no right-click menu: it's a conflict with Tweakable Everything mod, more specifically Tweakable Decouplers. You can remove TweakableDecouplers.dll from GameData/TweakableEverything to fix the issue and keep the rest of Tweakable Everything working

Has you can see, I'm not a texture person at all and this is about the best that, I can do https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/72893034/UFO/screenshot1.png

It's perfect! I could probably set up the heat shield for you, if you haven't already. Do you mind if I make a release mod with that? First of all, I would need those textures.

Edited by FireFaced

For anyone having the issue where interstage fairing base has no right-click menu: it's a conflict with Tweakable Everything mod, more specifically Tweakable Decouplers. You can remove TweakableDecouplers.dll from GameData/TweakableEverything to fix the issue and keep the rest of Tweakable Everything working

Yes, and I'll give this a go...

...Later

Ok, that is where the trouble came from alright.

I made this MM config so I can still tweak all OTHER decouplers...

// Removes "Tweakable Everything" options from Procedural Fairings Interstage Adapter
// (C)TG626 - Ted Thompson
// CC_BY 2015

@PART[KzInterstageAdapter2]:FINAL
{
!MODULE[ModuleTweakableDecouple]{}
!MODULE[ModuleStagingToggle]{}
}

Open Notepad, Copy the text above, Paste in Notepad, Save as "MM_fixPF-TE_Conflict.cfg" anywhere in your GameData folder.

Edited by tg626

I'm trying to do something similar to what you did with the resizable parts that you gain access to as the tech tree progresses but I can't quite get how you did it by looking through the source code. Would you be able to give me a quick explanation?

I'm trying to do something similar to what you did with the resizable parts that you gain access to as the tech tree progresses but I can't quite get how you did it by looking through the source code. Would you be able to give me a quick explanation?

I'm just checking what tech is available via ResearchAndDevelopment.GetTechnologyState(tech_name), look in utils.cs for getTechMaxValue() and haveTech(), it's very simple. The parts displayed in the tech tree to mark upgrades are fake and totally independent from those code checks.