[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

There seems to be a conflict with TweakableEverything. Placing an interstage fairing with that mod installed will break right click on the VAB until the game is restarted.

Hey! Does anyone know how to adjust the noseConeShape values in order to create a "blunt", ESA Soyuz-looking fairing?

oo21921_A4.jpg

I toyed with the values for a while, but I just couldn't reproduce a similar shape.

Hey! Does anyone know how to adjust the noseConeShape values in order to create a "blunt", ESA Soyuz-looking fairing?

You won't get the exact same shape because there's only one Bezier segment in PF now, and those look like sphere cap + cone. But you can aim for something like a parabola.

You'll need the second (top) control point Y to be 1 to get that blunt top, more info:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/39512-0-25-Procedural-Fairings-3-10-payload-auto-struts-%28October-11%29?p=1184432&viewfull=1#post1184432

hey guys. i downloaded the old texture packs for procedural fairings and they have the known node issues.anyone have any idea what should i change in the cfgs to make them attach like they did? work this week is killing me and i dont wanna spend the night trying to figure it out. if someone knows please tell me what values to change in the cfgs.

and while we're on the subject why not link updated texture packs for proc fairing in the OP like http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/123951-1-0-2-Gryphon-Corp-textures-for-Procedural-Fairings-v1-0

Edited by techstepman

There seems to be a conflict with TweakableEverything. Placing an interstage fairing with that mod installed will break right click on the VAB until the game is restarted.

Affirmative. Have you found a way to kill that bug other then deinstalling TE? I need both to fine-tune my Duna expedition of 5 vehicles.

hey guys. i downloaded the old texture packs for procedural fairings and they have the known node issues.anyone have any idea what should i change in the cfgs to make them attach like they did? work this week is killing me and i dont wanna spend the night trying to figure it out. if someone knows please tell me what values to change in the cfgs.

and while we're on the subject why not link updated texture packs for proc fairing in the OP like http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/123951-1-0-2-Gryphon-Corp-textures-for-Procedural-Fairings-v1-0

The attach nodes need reversing

Look at the config file and find something like this:

node_stack_connect = 0, 0.5, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0

First three numbers are coordinates for the node's location (relative to its origin)

second three numbers are a vector defining which way it points. These three numbers are why things don't connect in KSP 1.0 (the node is pointing +Y or up)

You want it to look like this.

node_stack_connect = 0, 0.5, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0

The node is pointing -Y or down.

The attach nodes need reversing....

oh ... that was it? seriously thanks a lot! so its the typical reversal issue. kind of weird why those where not gathered together and linked in the OP cause they are a very important part that makes this mod so great.

thanks again.

You won't get the exact same shape because there's only one Bezier segment in PF now, and those look like sphere cap + cone. But you can aim for something like a parabola.

Thanks! I finally figured out the coordinate system after an embarassing amount of trial and error.

I have the latest version of procedural fairings but it now all of a sudden has stopped working. The Interstage Fairing part can't have the fairing part attach to it anymore and when you right click on the Interstage Fairing the whole game grinds about 1 frame every 3-5 seconds. Is there a fix for this?

Edit: FIXED IT!!! This is probably just a temp fix but it works. So in the Procedural Fairings folder you have to copy the files called side1.cfg and side2.cfg and call them side1Bottom.cfg and side2Bottom.cfg. The files with bottom in their name you must find the line with "node_stack_connect" and make sure it says: node_stack_connect = 0, 0.5, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0. Also find the line with title and name it what you want to differentiate them in the parts list in the game. While the other files you must have the same line but it must look like the following: node_stack_connect = 0, 0.5, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0. No minus on the number 1.

Still no fix for the slow down however. But it is confirmed that Tweakable Everything is the problem.

Edited by GuyOfNew

Hello e-dog,

I'm a noob who wannabe a modder and I have a question: can I implement this awesome plugin to make some presetted but switchable fairing? I could have implemented this plugin into my own payload attaching face, and got rid of fairing base resizeability, but that's all I could do.

As I'm making a historical replica of something, I don't wanna the auto shaping our manual adjustmenting feature of this awesome mod, but only generating the proper fairing. Yes, it would be better to make my own fairing part for this purpose, but I wanna reduce part counts in VAB.

Best regards

FennexFox

E: I was hit by an idea that I could do this with fairing parts, not with fairing base part, but I can't figure that out until weekends.

I've been trying to use the thrust plate and having problems getting it to connect. It's a random chance with very low odds it will connect to the bottom. I end up fliping it over and connecting to the top and putting engines on upside down, then flipping it back over to attach to the bottom. I looked at the node thing n the configs and I think that is set right.

Also tried to use it for fuel tanks instead of engines and the fuel did not flow. Ether fuel cross flow is 1-way flow, engines only or just bugged.

I've been trying to use the thrust plate and having problems getting it to connect. It's a random chance with very low odds it will connect to the bottom. I end up fliping it over and connecting to the top and putting engines on upside down, then flipping it back over to attach to the bottom. I looked at the node thing n the configs and I think that is set right.

Also tried to use it for fuel tanks instead of engines and the fuel did not flow. Ether fuel cross flow is 1-way flow, engines only or just bugged.

For parts that have multiple symmetric bottom nodes fuel flow is one way. Try it with the stock 1-to-many adapters.

The same problem with connection. Please, help!

This is a stock issue with thin stack mounted parts. You can work around it by scaling it up a bit then attaching one node and then scaling it back down.

> Clicking on interstage makes the VAB soooo slow. Updating TE to see if their new version will fix this.

Known stock bug. Mods have tried to mitigate around it but....

The slowdown is a lot more severe with Procedural Fairings than it is with Procedural Parts and Real Fuels. Is it impossible to improve PF in this respect?

I toyed with the values for a while, but I just couldn't reproduce a similar shape.

If it's any help, I used this site to produce the following shape:

soyuz_zpsmfichi0o.png

An important caveat is to design the fairing shape in that program the opposite of how you might expect (such that the top points down and the inside points to the left). To produce that I used the values noseConeShape=0.5, 0, 0.25, 0

Second disclaimer is that it needs a moderately tall payload to produce the vertical sides.

I've noticed a weird issue where if a fairing base (the kind you use to cover up engines between stages) is directly connected to the bottom of a procedural fuel tank, the fairing base will not be in the correct position after saving/loading the craft.

I can get around this currently by using a procedural thrust plate at the bottom of the fuel tank, but that's extra mass. Is there a known fix for this issue?

I've noticed a weird issue where if a fairing base (the kind you use to cover up engines between stages) is directly connected to the bottom of a procedural fuel tank, the fairing base will not be in the correct position after saving/loading the craft.

I can get around this currently by using a procedural thrust plate at the bottom of the fuel tank, but that's extra mass. Is there a known fix for this issue?

What OS are you using?

What OS are you using?

Linux, running 64-bit KSP w/ RealSolarSystem/RealismOverhaul. Other than this one weird issue, both Procedural Fairings and Procedural Parts appear to be functioning just fine.

Linux, running 64-bit KSP w/ RealSolarSystem/RealismOverhaul. Other than this one weird issue, both Procedural Fairings and Procedural Parts appear to be functioning just fine.

Yep I have the same issue still with Pparts and tweakscale. Pparts devs know, but I don't think anything is being or going to be done about it. Took me ages to get them to even believe it was still happening on Linux. Here is github issue. Spread the word maybe with enough Linux users complaining it will be worked on.