[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

So, I've been away from the launch pad since v1.0.3/4 came out, playing with SSTOs and such.

With the new asteroid pack I decided to mash a probe and a two stage launcher together.

The first thing I noticed was that the fairings weren't showing in my staging list, but I figured I'd right click and decouple the things once in suborbit, but that's where I discovered that right click did not allow such a thing.

For the record, I'm running the latest version of this mod (v3.15) and the latest version of Tweakable Everything (v1.12

The good, my ascent trajectory was good, bordering on excellent

The bad, my sat can't get out of it's box

Hello,

I went through an issue, I probably did something wrong or at least i assumed you would like to know.

I've built a nice white, straight, phallic Falcon Heavy rocket, with a Mün lander incorporated behind the last stage Saturn V style. The plan was, just like the Appollo 11 mission, to decouple the lander once orbiting Kerbin and dock it at the front. Your mod was perfectly adapted for what I had in mind, I needed to cover the lander stage.

Here is my setup:

Command module

Engine

Decoupler

Non-decoupler Procedural Fairing base© (backwards)

Decoupler

Mün lander

Decoupler Procedural Fairing base©

Decoupler (unneeded, meh)

Phallic Falcon Heavy

My problem : I can't get rid of the fairing bases. The first stock decoupler decouples, Pshhh sound (it is also removed from the staging sequence), but it looks stuck in place. Same happens for the PF decoupler located under the lander. As a result, engines are both working (Command module and lander), my Flight Engineer© agrees with me, I got thrust, positive TWR, fuel burns, etc, but there is actually no thrust just like they were still staged (no error message though).

Was I clear ?

Anyway, I'll soon send my "Savior" shuttle to rescue the team and de-orbit my mess. But as a Kerbal God, I need to give to Bill Kerman instructions on how to science this better... I just can't tell him it's my fault, he would'nt understand. Kerbals, Assemble! rescue's on route!

For anyone interested, I've been working on a small config / texture addon for Procedural Fairings, it adds Procedural Fairings to parts in a few mods (and stock), replacing the stock fairings.

Feel free to give it a try and give me feedback!

Procedural Fairings - For Everything!

There's a few known issues, and it's still a WIP, but it should be quite stable and easy to use. Cheers!

So for some reason, using the flat fairing base ring like this causes the stack separator above it to automatically explode when the vehicle loads, but using the raised fairing base has no such issue. The part overheats instantly before you can even launch

http://imgur.com/a/ijqMm

I bet it doesn't happen with larger parts; both larger fairing base and larger payload.

I'm calling it a stock problem. It's known to happen with very low mass parts. Low mass = low thermal mass = rapid temperature changes when heated. Default conduction factor of 20 is also a necessary component here. Change any one of these (more mass or lower conduction factor) and this won't happen.

BTW, for giggles, press alt-F12 and under Cheats, check Ignore Max Temperature. Press F11 to enable Temperature Overlay. Watch how quickly it goes to white hot.

Greetings. First of all thank you so much for the mod, when I hear that KSP will include fairings in the 1.0 release I was very exited, but they turned to be very... ahm... useless and a couple of days ago I install this mod to fill the hole in my heart, everything works fine, but I have a lot of hanging nods midair in the VAB, is this intended? or is some kind a bug? It happen every time when I'm customizing the fairings, I mean, it doesn't interfere with anything, they are just there, you can't attach anything to them, but I'm just curious :), the only way to get rid of them is exiting the VAB and enter again, they are also present in the save file of the craft.

Sample:

http://www.subeimagenes.com/img/screenshot7-1367350.png

Sorry for my "Spanish" I'm using 1.0.4 btw

I bet it doesn't happen with larger parts; both larger fairing base and larger payload.

I'm calling it a stock problem. It's known to happen with very low mass parts. Low mass = low thermal mass = rapid temperature changes when heated. Default conduction factor of 20 is also a necessary component here. Change any one of these (more mass or lower conduction factor) and this won't happen.

BTW, for giggles, press alt-F12 and under Cheats, check Ignore Max Temperature. Press F11 to enable Temperature Overlay. Watch how quickly it goes to white hot.

It actually went away when I removed FAR

It actually went away when I removed FAR

Probably coincidence.

I don't use FAR and I can repro your bug just fine:

The temperature of those parts was in the trillions. Basically well past the vapor point of those parts. (I had Ignore Max Temperature turned on)

CwC8LKfl.jpg

G'day,

Having recently started a new career game, I'm just wondering whether the various fairing parts shouldn't be moved to other nodes in the tech tree. Currently the fairings are in the aero/flight node sub-tree. While initially that makes sense, it doesn't make as much sense for players who are only/primarily interested in rockets, such as myself. In fact, the only reason I've unlocked the Aviation node is to get access to the fairings. Now I need to unlock several other flight-related nodes in order to unlock the fairing size increase.

So I'm wondering whether other people feel that the various fairings should be made available in the relevant rocketry nodes of the tech tree instead? After all, rocket fairings have very little to do with aeroplane flight.

Excellent mod, btw, keep up the great work :)

- Micha.

If it's any help, I used this site to produce the following shape:

http://i1068.photobucket.com/albums/u452/bkleincn/soyuz_zpsmfichi0o.png

An important caveat is to design the fairing shape in that program the opposite of how you might expect (such that the top points down and the inside points to the left). To produce that I used the values noseConeShape=0.5, 0, 0.25, 0

Second disclaimer is that it needs a moderately tall payload to produce the vertical sides.

Wow. I really like this. This is just what I want. Anyway Procedural Fairings could get some of these advanced shaping options, or is that being left to other mod-authors?

Oi, so it's my understanding that this has been addressed already, but I'm too lazy to scan through the pages to find the answer...

Every time I put down a interstage fairing adapter, it over heats and explodes. I can't imagine that's supposed to happen, and I use these all the time so like none of my rockets work right. Especially my fancy aeroshell designs. ;.;

Does anyone have any advanced tips or tricks for setting up really specified fairing shapes? I'm trying to set up some really detailed and technically accurate Proton fairings.

References:

tcCFmo0l.jpg

O3vCmNl.jpg

If not advanced tricks, does anyone know if it's possible to inset a new curve into the shapes? I'm trying to achieve the stepped shape used on Salyut, Zvezda, and Mir Core Module launches.

Does anyone have any advanced tips or tricks for setting up really specified fairing shapes? I'm trying to set up some really detailed and technically accurate Proton fairings.

References:

http://i.imgur.com/tcCFmo0l.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/O3vCmNl.jpg

If not advanced tricks, does anyone know if it's possible to inset a new curve into the shapes? I'm trying to achieve the stepped shape used on Salyut, Zvezda, and Mir Core Module launches.

Yep, and I've done it already!

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/126788-1-0-4-WIP-Procedural-Fairings-For-Everything%21-v0-0-1-2015-176

Those look very like stock fairings. Of course the layout tool for them needs a bit of wrestling but you could edit the .craft to produce the exact shape you like. It seems that would be better than pFairings' "pick egg or conic and I'll do the rest"?

I have an interstage fairing upside down as a "Curiosity" style aeroshell for a probe that is going through eve's atmosphere. This probe is attached onto my satellite now in Eve orbit. However, when I try to timewarp around Eve this interstage fairing overheats and just explodes, making my probe lose its parachute that is attached ontop. This is a gamebreaking bug for me at the moment. If I disable max temperature, what happends is that the interstage fairing does not explode but instead go red and seconds after the entire craft along with all the parts on it follows and overheats into the red too. I'm running FAR, no deadly re-entry and 64-bit KSP.

I see other people are having the same issue as me. Has anyone found a solution?

Edited by Olsson

I changed this in the interstage fairing cfg (adapter2.cfg):

skinInternalConductionMult = 0.25

To a lower value, I started with something like 0.02, no change. Then I went absurdly low 0.0000001 with no change either. I increased it to 1, no change either.

Edited by Olsson

I changed this in the interstage fairing cfg (adapter2.cfg):

skinInternalConductionMult = 0.25

To a lower value, I started with something like 0.02, no change. Then I went absurdly low 0.0000001 with no change either. I increased it to 1, no change either.

Why did you change skinInternalConductionMult?

That has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Conduction Factor is in the thermal settings menu (Alt-F12)

Why did you change skinInternalConductionMult?

That has nothing to do with what I was talking about.

Conduction Factor is in the thermal settings menu (Alt-F12)

Wow I'm stupid. Alright, I thought you meant edit the part.cfg.

I have an interstage fairing upside down as a "Curiosity" style aeroshell for a probe that is going through eve's atmosphere. This probe is attached onto my satellite now in Eve orbit. However, when I try to timewarp around Eve this interstage fairing overheats and just explodes, making my probe lose its parachute that is attached ontop. This is a gamebreaking bug for me at the moment. If I disable max temperature, what happends is that the interstage fairing does not explode but instead go red and seconds after the entire craft along with all the parts on it follows and overheats into the red too. I'm running FAR, no deadly re-entry and 64-bit KSP.

If you mean Linux 64-bit KSP, you should specify that to save time.

If you mean Windows with the 64-bit hack, don't do that, then.

not sure if its been posted here yet but Im having some strange bugs relating to staging of fairings, most procedural fairing stages refuse to stage unless i drag them in the sidebar in the left (even right clicking on jettison doesn't seem to work) not only this but engines located within the fairing will not stage either after the initial problem has occurred. I am using the aerodynamic fairings not the structural ones, and the issue is occurring across both inter stage and normal fairing adapters. is this just my install or is anybody els experiencing this issue?

plz halp!!!

PS: I am playing with realism overhaul and related mods including real solar system installed if that helps.