[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Even without clipping any parts, putting too many batteries close together causes the fairing not to shield the payload. As soon as I stage the fairings with this ship, at least one battery explodes. I did not clip any parts.

https://imgur.com/a/QSjlq

Is that craft stock besides the fairings? What are those batteries attached to? Post a craft file

Is that craft stock besides the fairings? What are those batteries attached to? Post a craft file

The craft is all stock other than the RemoteTech changes to the antennas and the Procedural Fairings. The batteries are attached to a probe core (the first one unlocked in career that isn't Stayputnik) and a stack of the small circular batteries. Craft file. I'm using FAR, am NOT using Deadly Reentry, and am also using several other mods, but none that I would expect to affect this issue.

Edited by Kedwin Hubble

I tried again with only Squad and Procedural Fairings directories in the GameData folder and the nodes hanging in midair-thing still happens. In other words, there is no other mod than PF that does this, it's a PF bug.

Also, I'm having the interstage overheating problem. It's easily reproducible by making the fairing base really small. Anything ~0.625 m and below will make it overheat immediately and explode all by itself.

To reproduce (or see .craft-file below), build this:

1. Start with a 0.625 m RCS fuel tank.

2. On top, put the PF interstage fairing and attach two structural fairings to it.

3. Make the PF interstage fairing base 0.625 m.

3. On topmost (on floating node), put a 1.25m RCS fuel tank.

There doesn't need to be anything inside the fairing.

Or try this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/66h2hc7s4msfl49/Auto-Saved%20Ship.craft?dl=0

Edited by LostOblivion

The craft is all stock other than the RemoteTech changes to the antennas and the Procedural Fairings. The batteries are attached to a probe core (the first one unlocked in career that isn't Stayputnik) and a stack of the small circular batteries. Craft file. I'm using FAR, am NOT using Deadly Reentry, and am also using several other mods, but none that I would expect to affect this issue.

You have an Engineer Chip and an RT Antenna that's not stock. Can't load it :(

I tried again with only Squad and Procedural Fairings directories in the GameData folder and the nodes hanging in midair-thing still happens. In other words, there is no other mod than PF that does this, it's a PF bug.

If it's a mass issue then I'd have to say it IS a stock bug because you can produce overheating problems with entirely stock parts.

Download this one and put it on phys timewarp x4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aar1u0m0csu6ahq/explody.craft?dl=1

You can stop this from happening by lowering Conductivity Factor (Alt-F12, Physics, Thermal)

If it's a mass issue then I'd have to say it IS a stock bug because you can produce overheating problems with entirely stock parts.

Download this one and put it on phys timewarp x4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aar1u0m0csu6ahq/explody.craft?dl=1

You can stop this from happening by lowering Conductivity Factor (Alt-F12, Physics, Thermal)

Jebus! That's not good.

Anyway, I temporarily fixed my PF parts overheating by applying this hack:

@PART[KzInterstageAdapter2|KzResizableFairingBase|KzResizableFairingBaseRing]{
@thermalMassModifier *= 4.0
}

I looked back several pages and didnt see this addressed (did i miss it?): is there a bug that causes the fairings to not cover properly? Basically, they leave gaps vertically between them , If I set it for 2 I get 2 gaps between my 2 fairing pars which are about 160 degrees wide, not 180 each, leabing a 40 degree gap on both sides. Similar when I do it for 4- the gaps narrow but are there vertiacally between the fairing parts. What causes that - do I have something set wrong? I've uninstalled and resinstalled the mod, doesnt seem to help. The stock fairings dont do this but they are butt ugly and hard to use, but they do work if I remove this.

I tried reducing and increasing the number of nodes, no change in the behavioir, although when I reduced it to one node, that one node covered exactly HALF of what it was supposed to. Ive even tried making this as simple as possible: Mk1 capsule, fairing base ring, 2 nodes (visible onthe next to last screen shot). The sides still have a big gap between them on both edges. Its as if the fairings are only covering 60% of the space they should. "Parts Shielded" = 0 no matter how I change things. Tried changing symmetry, that didnt work.

Are there any mods that may produce this kind of defect in procedural fairings?

truncated logs for the problem

[LOG 19:05:44.839] PilotRSASFix.Start(): v00.02

[LOG 19:05:44.840] [sCANsat] start: in editor

[LOG 19:05:44.841] [sCANsat] sensorType: 0 fov: 0 min_alt: 0 max_alt: 0 best_alt: 0 power: 0.05

[LOG 19:06:03.600] HeatShield1 added to ship - part count: 2

[LOG 19:06:03.601] SAFix.onPartAttach(): Host = HeatShield1 | Target = mk1pod | Symmetry Count = 0

[LOG 19:06:22.932] stackDecoupler added to ship - part count: 3

[LOG 19:06:22.933] SAFix.onPartAttach(): Host = stackDecoupler | Target = HeatShield1 | Symmetry Count = 0

[LOG 19:06:48.111] KzResizableFairingBaseRing added to ship - part count: 4

[LOG 19:06:48.112] SAFix.onPartAttach(): Host = KzResizableFairingBaseRing | Target = stackDecoupler | Symmetry Count = 0

[LOG 19:06:48.112] SAFix.onPartAttach(): 1x symmetry in VAB detected. Radial symmetry set.

[LOG 19:06:55.907] KzProcFairingSide2 added to ship - part count: 5

[LOG 19:06:55.908] SAFix.onPartAttach(): Host = KzProcFairingSide2 | Target = KzResizableFairingBaseRing | Symmetry Count = 0

[LOG 19:06:55.909] SAFix.onPartAttach(): 1x symmetry in VAB detected. Radial symmetry set.

[LOG 19:07:03.117] KzProcFairingSide2 added to ship - part count: 6

PilotRSASFix.Start(): v00.02

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

[sCANsat] start: in editor

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

[sCANsat] sensorType: 0 fov: 0 min_alt: 0 max_alt: 0 best_alt: 0 power: 0.05

HeatShield1 added to ship - part count: 2

SAFix.onPartAttach(): Host = HeatShield1 | Target = mk1pod | Symmetry Count = 0

stackDecoupler added to ship - part count: 3

SAFix.onPartAttach(): Host = stackDecoupler | Target = HeatShield1 | Symmetry Count = 0

KzResizableFairingBaseRing added to ship - part count: 4

SAFix.onPartAttach(): Host = KzResizableFairingBaseRing | Target = stackDecoupler | Symmetry Count = 0

SAFix.onPartAttach(): 1x symmetry in VAB detected. Radial symmetry set.

KzProcFairingSide2 added to ship - part count: 5

SAFix.onPartAttach(): Host = KzProcFairingSide2 | Target = KzResizableFairingBaseRing | Symmetry Count = 0

KzProcFairingSide2 added to ship - part count: 6

SAFix.onPartAttach(): Host = KzProcFairingSide2 | Target = KzResizableFairingBaseRing | Symmetry Count = 0

Also here are screen shots - note that as soon as I add the base ring, I get a stray extra "node" hanging off to the side - the further I am zoomed out the further away the spurious fake node is. And it is not clickable, nor does it go away when I delete the part, as seen in the screen shots - as well as a 2 node fairing on both bases showing gaps.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Murdabenne
Old posts deleted, now all data including screenshots in a single post.

Question here, do the fact that the aerodynamic effects are showing and the aerodynamic indicators are showing mean that it's not actually shielding them? The fairing base says that they are though.

Yes, I know the base is wide open, the thing is tweakscaled to 15m. I imagine there'd be some sort of aerodynamic penalty in real life.

screenshot104_zpsmqqkes9r.png

I'm sorry if this needs to go somewhere else (I'm a noobie {Just joined today!} ) but for realism overall (RO), it wont let me change color/shape of selected item.

KSP 1.0.4 from squad NOT WITH realistic progression zero.

[Edit] I should probably say the issue happens with procedural parts, and really anything procedural. Also, I installed anything that came with RO on CKAN. Hope that helps.

Edited by RoketMan

I've found a bug with the trust plate, which I use in many of my designs.

I replicated the bug in my vanilla copy of KSP 1.0.4 with only Procedural Fairings added to the Squad stock parts.

To replicate the bug;

1) Create a new craft with the Mk1 cockpit and a fuel tank.

2) Add the thrust plate on.

The thrust plate will not attach to the craft properly, is translucent and leaves a node in midair. In the following screen shot I moved the craft after 'attaching' the thrust plate to show that it had not done so.

eksS8ky.jpg

I've found a bug with the trust plate, which I use in many of my designs.

I replicated the bug in my vanilla copy of KSP 1.0.4 with only Procedural Fairings added to the Squad stock parts.

To replicate the bug;

1) Create a new craft with the Mk1 cockpit and a fuel tank.

2) Add the thrust plate on.

The thrust plate will not attach to the craft properly, is translucent and leaves a node in midair. In the following screen shot I moved the craft after 'attaching' the thrust plate to show that it had not done so.

i.imgur.com/eksS8ky.jpg

There seems to be a very small window in which the plate will actually attach--you have to move it ever so slightly lower. Even when it does attach, however, the floating nodes remain, though there seem to be no adverse effects.

I'm sorry if this needs to go somewhere else (I'm a noobie {Just joined today!} ) but for realism overall (RO), it wont let me change color/shape of selected item.

KSP 1.0.4 from squad NOT WITH realistic progression zero.

[Edit] I should probably say the issue happens with procedural parts, and really anything procedural. Also, I installed anything that came with RO on CKAN. Hope that helps.

Can someone please help me?

Is there an incompatibility issue with procedural parts here? Whenever I try to use this mod, problems arise. For instance, when placing a fairing base under a payload, one or several of the standard green placement nodes will float in the air persistently, or at lest until I renew the scene. Another annoying bug occurs when loading up a saved vessel; it seems procedural parts struggles to remember the parameters for the various parts that I use, and I'll get things like shrouds popping out of place where they shouldn't. Lastly, the joints made procedural fairing will sometimes loose their rigidity after the scene has been loaded whilst on the launchpad.

RoketMan, this is the thread for Procedural Fairings. If you have an issue with Procedural Parts, please see that thread. :)

EDIT: link.

Well, really it is happening with both procedural parts AND fairings. Maybe I just need to adjust the configs...

But I posted it here because It's the first one that came up.

Procedural Fairings don't have any texture-changing.

63Hayden: the floating nodes are normal. They used to be farther away, but in KSP 1.0 they've taken to appearing fairly close. They're because PF allows tweaking of the number of nodes on the fairing base, so the excess nodes get shunted off to the side.

Dunno about the other issues.

Im having an issue with the fairings, when i add them with payload inside shaped correctly and configured correctly there is no decouple/separate function for the fairing so it is essentially useless.

As seen here: http://i.imgur.com/8o91W0M.jpg

The staging procedure is:

Main Engine > Clamps > 2nd Stage decouple > (insert missing fairing sep here)