[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

[quote name='Dermeister']HEy guys is it possible to change the textures on the fairings and fuselage? If not will a bouton be implemented like on procedural parts to change the textures to match the over all vehicle?[/QUOTE]

There are some mods that have changed the textures of them or you can do your own.

[quote name='Dermeister']HEy guys is it possible to change the textures on the fairings and fuselage? If not will a bouton be implemented like on procedural parts to change the textures to match the over all vehicle?[/QUOTE]

Here's one I saved, it's a ways down in the OP for procedural fairings: [url]http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68892-0-23-5-Procedural-Parts-Textures-Procedural-KW-June13-TextureSwitch[/url]!

[quote name='Gaiiden']I take out all the extra nodes via the part menu before attaching it, that seems to help[/QUOTE]

Does not help for me. However what I found - if I turn plate 180, I can easily attach it. Then I can attach something (i.e. engine) to engine node. And after that I can un - attach plate, turn it back 180 and attach it in the right way - already with engine.
Awkward, but it works.

[quote name='evileye.x']Does not help for me. However what I found - if I turn plate 180, I can easily attach it. Then I can attach something (i.e. engine) to engine node. And after that I can un - attach plate, turn it back 180 and attach it in the right way - already with engine.
Awkward, but it works.[/QUOTE]

The plate is attachable without such shenanigans. It can be a bit twitchy but it's totally doable. If it snaps but is red then slowly sloooowly drag the mouse pointer back downwards until the plate is green, without actually unsnapping it. Depending on your viewing angle and how far out you are, that may not happen until the part is just about to un-snap. If it un-snaps and didn't turn green or stay green long enough, then you moved the mouse too far off.

On 27.11.2015, 12:37:08, Starwaster said:

The plate is attachable without such shenanigans. It can be a bit twitchy but it's totally doable.

Agree, it's doable. What you have offered - in general good recomendation how to deal with very thin parts snaping (it's not only this particular part problem), I do it the same way, but sometimes it is really hard and frustrating process.

Another question refarding trust plate - may be somebody has alternative texture or even part with similar function - kinda don't like brickwall patern on the bottom of my rockets :)

Edited by evileye.x
typos everywhere

I'm seeing what I can only guess is a bug with interstage fairings. I have an Apollo-like project I'm working on. There's an upper section with a nuke engine. Attached to the bottom of the engine is the upper node of the interstage. On top of the fairing base, I have a small structural piece and a separator, and then the bottom engine of my lander. I have the extra height cranked up pretty high, due to the geometry of the upper-stage fuel tank. I've done very similar designs in the past with no issues. On my 1.0.5 game, when I jettison the four fairing pieces, the upper and lower sections separate physically, but not logically. The throttle controls engines in both parts. I can't select the lower section in the map or by hitting ]. The upper and lower sections can't collide. They pass right through each other. When I attempt to turn the craft, both upper and lower parts turn.

It gets odder. I sent an intrepid Kerbonaut on an EVA to try to get into the lander, and the lower part kept a constant distance from him. No matter how fast he accelerated toward the lower section, it moved with him as if it were attached. Things got jumpy when doing time warping or switching back to the upper stage, as well.

EDIT:

I rebuilt part of it and the problem went away. I threw away the fairing base, the structural piece, the center lander engine, and the separator, and reassembled it, as far as I can tell, identically to the way it had been, but I don't get that odd behavior anymore. Now nothing stands between me and all the science of Ike and Gilly but a few hours of tweaking. I'm thinking smaller radiators, larger liquid fuel tank, and maybe reduce the fuel in the lander a bit.

EDIT:

Except that on a trial run, when I jettisoned the interstage in Munar orbit, everything below it disappeared. The interstage ring, the lander above it, and the tank and booster below. Not on the map anywhere that I can see. Haystack doesn't show it, either. I did see a row of... marks on the hull. Round marks of some kind. I mean, it couldn't be. But Bob swears they look like the scars giant squid leave on sperm whales. Some kind of materials defect, maybe? It makes no sense, but I can't shake this feeling that something is out there. Something malevolent, something powerful. Something lurking beneath, or perhaps built into the fabric of space itself. It knows we've entered its domain. There's nothing more we can do here without the lander. I'm taking us back home. If for any reason we don't make it, let our last words be this. Launch, and launch again. Kerbalkind must--and will!--take its rightful place as a spacefaring race. We hold no life, not even our own, more important than this.

--Valentina Kerman, Cmdr.

Edited by Perry Apsis

Hi! This is a great mod. Much better than stock... But, it is possible to do transparency like in stock mod, to have access to the parts inside and without to disassemble fairings? Or, if possible, at least to see what is inside.

Thanks in advance!

Good Luck!

Not to seem obsessive*, but I built a simpler demonstrator of the bug I'm talking about, using 18 parts (all stock, except, obviously, for the interstage fairing). Is there anyone who can help troubleshoot this? I've built lots of Apollo-style ships in the past, but I don't see how I can do so now.

Been playing the same game daily for years, and he's worried about seeming obsessive.

EDIT:

Aaaaanddddd I went to Github to see if there was support information there, and found this from about a year ago:

https://github.com/e-dog/ProceduralFairings/issues/9

The decoupling does not work properly with the NERVA engine. It is solved if "isFairing = False" is changed to "= true" in ModuleJettison of the NERVA part.cfg file.

Also it happens with other engines of sovietengine pack.

Thanks to Raf4 for finding the problem and supplying a fix. There are two ModuleJettison sections, and I changed both, and it seems to have resolved the issue. No idea if it will break anything else or not. Can anyone guess whether it's a bug in the liquidEngineLV-N.cfg file? Is this something someone should mention to Squad?

Edited by Perry Apsis
Found a fix

I soon plan on using PF not only for fairings, but as hulls as well. The lack of textures is an issue however. I know there's a few mods that add more fairing types, but I'm looking for one in particular that was a collaboration of them all and allowed you to swap textures via firespitter like procedural tanks. However I cannot find the thread for the life of me. Anyone know it's where abouts?

Edit: Now I don't know if that particular mod I'm looking for does this ( it'd be nice ) but... Is it possible to take the same textures procedural tanks uses and apply them to PF? That would pretty much cover anything I'd need.

Edited by Motokid600

21 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

I soon plan on using PF not only for fairings, but as hulls as well. The lack of textures is an issue however. I know there's a few mods that add more fairing types, but I'm looking for one in particular that was a collaboration of them all and allowed you to swap textures via firespitter like procedural tanks. However I cannot find the thread for the life of me. Anyone know it's where abouts?

Edit: Now I don't know if that particular mod I'm looking for does this ( it'd be nice ) but... Is it possible to take the same textures procedural tanks uses and apply them to PF? That would pretty much cover anything I'd need.

Procedural Fairings for everything

That's the one! Thank so much. Hopefully that covers all I'd need texture wise. Worst comes to worst I suppose I could always open up Photoshop. How hard would it be to take the Procedural Parts textures and apply them to PF?

Edited by Motokid600

1 hour ago, Motokid600 said:

That's the one! Thank so much. Hopefully that covers all I'd need texture wise. Worst comes to worst I suppose I could always open up Photoshop. How hard would it be to take the Procedural Parts textures and apply them to PF?

You can try this Module Manager patch:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ProceduralFairingSide]]:NEEDS[ProceduralFairings]
    {
        MODULE
        {
            name = FStextureSwitch2
            objectNames = model
            textureRootFolder = ProceduralParts/Parts/
            textureNames = ablative;atlas;blueside;copernicus;foilthin;gersides;greyside;mu;orangesides;plainwhite;sides;soyuzgreen;srbsides;stocksides;stripes1;stripes2;tiles;ussides;whiteside
            //mapNames = 
            textureDisplayNames = Ablative;Atlas;Blueside;Copernicus;Foil;German;Grey;MU;Orange;PlanWhite;Original;Soyuz;SRB;Stock;Stripes1;Stripes2;Tiled;US;WhiteSide
            switchableInFlight = false
            updateSymmetry = true
            showListButton = false
        }
    }

It is not perfect (the textures are not meant to be used in a PF and as a result, they look weird) but it works.

Requirements: Firespitter (core DLL only).

This thread moves slow... that's ashame. Because for me Procedural Fairings is crucial. The functionality and variety is irreplaceable until Squad brings the stock fairings up to par. I hope to see it updated soon and hopefully all is well with edog.

Anyway ive posted about this a few times before in the past. But I don't really think people understood what I meant.

XvxTtF2.jpg

I need those fairing bases to be invisible. But I need their functionality to remain. I need the nodes. Is such a thing possible? Ive tried just deleteing the .mu, but that just deletes the part all together.

Edited by Motokid600

You have to have some kind of model defined in there even if it has no mesh in it. It could be a custom .mu created with no mesh, just a transform.

That should work, unless PF has some dependency on the mesh being there. (AFAIK, it does not)

1 hour ago, Motokid600 said:

This thread moves slow... that's ashame. Because for me Procedural Fairings is crucial. The functionality and variety is irreplaceable until Squad brings the stock fairings up to par. I hope to see it updated soon and hopefully all is well with edog.

Anyway ive posted about this a few times before in the past. But I don't really think people understood what I meant.

XvxTtF2.jpg

I need those fairing bases to be invisible. But I need their functionality to remain. I need the nodes. Is such a thing possible? Ive tried just deleteing the .mu, but that just deletes the part all together.

Is there a part you want the nodes to show up on if so that you can do

EDIT- Like on guess them are tanks you should be able to make one of them a PF base

Edited by Mecripp2

42 minutes ago, MeCripp said:

Is there a part you want the nodes to show up on if so that you can do

EDIT- Like on guess them are tanks you should be able to make one of them a PF base

How so? No part at all would be preferable, but if it had to be something maybe a cubic strut. Not sure what you mean on the second part there. There procedural fillet-type tanks that use procedural fairings for walls. And they have a decoupler up top witch is nice too. I'm going to try and take this approach to my rockets as far as I can.

I think I get what your saying now. Could I assign the procedural interstage base to a different model and keep its functionality?

Edited by Motokid600

8 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

How so? No part at all would be preferable, but if it had to be something maybe a cubic strut. Not sure what you mean on the second part there. There procedural fillet-type tanks that use procedural fairings for walls. And they have a decoupler up top witch is nice too. I'm going to try and take this approach to my rockets as far as I can.

I think I get what your saying now. Could I assign the procedural interstage base to a different model and keep its functionality?

Yes you got it :wink: