[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

8 minutes ago, Schetefan said:

I'm also having the problem that my game crashes if I wanna use procedural fairings. It is heavily modded, but it shouldn't be a ram problem as I even got the crashes at around 2750mb of ram used. When I looked into the crash report it stated a null pointer to some dll. As I used CKAN to install procedural fairings it don't think I messed up the installation. Without procedural fairings my game runs relativly stable

Which .dll exactly? KSPAPIExtensions? Try installing without CKAN. Things more trouble then its worth. And try to post an output log if you can too.

Edited by Motokid600

After using PF for over a year without any problems since about 2 weeks ago I too have this problem. The craft is loaded and the game crashes. Removing PF from the Gamedata folder fixes the issue instantly. Which is a shame, as I really think THIS is how fairings should work in this game (no offense, SQUAD).

I have no idea what could have caused this as this has always been a very stable mod. Anyway, if there's any way I can help to fix this, please let me know, @e-dog 

11 hours ago, Schetefan said:

I tried procedural fairings again, with a manual install, it crashed again. Here are both error log folders: Link.

The first is while forcing opengl, the second is without forced opengl and in admin mode.

1 hour ago, Zoidos said:

After using PF for over a year without any problems since about 2 weeks ago I too have this problem. The craft is loaded and the game crashes. Removing PF from the Gamedata folder fixes the issue instantly. Which is a shame, as I really think THIS is how fairings should work in this game (no offense, SQUAD).

I have no idea what could have caused this as this has always been a very stable mod. Anyway, if there's any way I can help to fix this, please let me know, @e-dog 

I'm no @e-dog, but I know enough to attempt support. First off, both of you, move all your add-ons to a temp folder on your desktop, and start a new sandbox game. If the game starts, build and launch a craft that uses a fairing base, and and an interstage, and see if there are any problems. Also, do a flight, leave that vessel in orbit, or on the ground, save the game, so there's an active craft with fairings in the game, close out the game, open it up again, and load the save game. If anything happens during that time out of the ordinary, we know it's P-Fairings, and not a bad build of KSP. 

@Schetefan, by looking at the output log, I can tell a few things:

• First of all, you have a butt-load of other add-ons. It's got to be a conflict. P-Fairings rarely causes crashes on it's own.
  • Your module manager is out of date, so update that.
  • There's an error message before parts are even loaded that indicated you might have a bad install in general. Not an expert though. "The referenced script on this Behaviour is missing!"
  • You're using Active Texture Management still? It's rarely used now that most authors use .dds format now for textures. Don't think it's the cause of the issue though.
  • The line in question is:
DragCubeSystem: Rendering procedural drag for KzResizableFairingBase

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/StandalonePlayerGenerated/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 56)

Supplied NxActorDesc is not valid. createActor returns NULL.

(Filename: ..\..\Physics\src\NpScene.cpp Line: 890)

Crash!!!

You need to clear out GameData, and diagnose. My bet is the problem is with your install, not with P-Fairings.

On 2/25/2016 at 4:23 PM, Alpha188 said:

Anyone having trouble with fairings not shielding and so RT2 antennas blow up even when stored in a fairing? It happens only in one of my rockets, I don't know if it's PF or RT2 bug.

What is the exact message? Does it say that the antenna was ripped off? If so then that's RT2 doing the ripping. AFAIK it checks to see if parts are shielded now. I suggest using the debug menu, going to the physics tab and enabling the option to display aerodynamic data. Then during flight, right click the antenna and check to see if it is experiencing drag during flight. When inside the fairing, it should not do that. (drag = 0).

So, If the it displays 0 drag and RT2 is still ripping off the antenna then the problem is with RT2

If the antenna has a non-zero value listed for drag then it is considered exposed to the airstream. Obviously that shouldn't happen with  PF, but maybe something about its placement is confusing to it. Try repositioning it elsewhere. And see if the problem happens regardless of whether the antenna is extended.

17 hours ago, Schetefan said:

I tried procedural fairings again, with a manual install, it crashed again. Here are both error log folders: Link.

The first is while forcing opengl, the second is without forced opengl and in admin mode.

Crash is an access violation (C0000005) - that's a fairly generic thing with a multitude of causes, software and hardware. But mostly software. In this case I'd say you're running low on available memory for KSP. Remember that regardless of how much RAM you have, KSP is limited to 32 bit right now so it may not see or use your full amount of memory. (basically it's limited to less than 4GB)

3 hours ago, Starwaster said:

Crash is an access violation (C0000005) - that's a fairly generic thing with a multitude of causes, software and hardware. But mostly software. In this case I'd say you're running low on available memory for KSP. Remember that regardless of how much RAM you have, KSP is limited to 32 bit right now so it may not see or use your full amount of memory. (basically it's limited to less than 4GB)

The 4 GB ram limit shouldn't be the problem, as my game was running close to 3GB and without procedural fairings it only crashes if it runs close to the stated 4GB.

@curtquarquesso I tried procedural fairings with a cleared GameData directory and it didn't crash, so it has to be a mod incompatibility. As I don't really have problems with the game without procedural fairings i thought it could be caused by procedural fairings.

7 hours ago, Schetefan said:

The 4 GB ram limit shouldn't be the problem, as my game was running close to 3GB and without procedural fairings it only crashes if it runs close to the stated 4GB.

@curtquarquesso I tried procedural fairings with a cleared GameData directory and it didn't crash, so it has to be a mod incompatibility. As I don't really have problems with the game without procedural fairings i thought it could be caused by procedural fairings.

Easiest way to figure out what's conflicting with P-Fairings is to create a new stock game with a new save, add P-Fairings first, then start adding mods you want back in until it crashes. 

On 27 febbraio 2016 at 7:02 AM, Starwaster said:

What is the exact message? Does it say that the antenna was ripped off? If so then that's RT2 doing the ripping. AFAIK it checks to see if parts are shielded now. I suggest using the debug menu, going to the physics tab and enabling the option to display aerodynamic data. Then during flight, right click the antenna and check to see if it is experiencing drag during flight. When inside the fairing, it should not do that. (drag = 0).

So, If the it displays 0 drag and RT2 is still ripping off the antenna then the problem is with RT2

If the antenna has a non-zero value listed for drag then it is considered exposed to the airstream. Obviously that shouldn't happen with  PF, but maybe something about its placement is confusing to it. Try repositioning it elsewhere. And see if the problem happens regardless of whether the antenna is extended.

I'll check that soon, but the antenna isn't actually extended when it blows up. So I'm pretty sure it's a RT2 bug.

10 hours ago, tenvelden said:

Hey first of all great mod I think it's really well done.

Now I'm sure this is common but I specifically can't make any procedural fairings connect to any fairing bases. What's going on?

I've always found the procedural fairings to be a bit touchy with connecting, like it will snap to the node but placing it does not connect. I've always gotten it to work though by getting it into the snapped position and then moving the mouse around a little to make it turn green before placing. I'm not sure if this is the problem you're having, or if it's something worse. You would want to check you have the latest files, and even then I don't know if some error might appear because from what I see this mod hasn't be recompiled for the latest version of KSP. Also, it's unlikely but might as well mention it, these procedural fairings do not connect to stock fairing bases if you were trying to do that.

I just installed this again in the latest build and ran some tests to check it was working as expected, and I didn't get any bugs. I don't like the look of the stock fairings or how they separate, so this mod is great.

14 hours ago, tenvelden said:

Hey first of all great mod I think it's really well done.

Now I'm sure this is common but I specifically can't make any procedural fairings connect to any fairing bases. What's going on?

3 hours ago, Nicole said:

I've always found the procedural fairings to be a bit touchy with connecting, like it will snap to the node but placing it does not connect. I've always gotten it to work though by getting it into the snapped position and then moving the mouse around a little to make it turn green before placing. I'm not sure if this is the problem you're having, or if it's something worse. You would want to check you have the latest files, and even then I don't know if some error might appear because from what I see this mod hasn't be recompiled for the latest version of KSP. Also, it's unlikely but might as well mention it, these procedural fairings do not connect to stock fairing bases if you were trying to do that.

I just installed this again in the latest build and ran some tests to check it was working as expected, and I didn't get any bugs. I don't like the look of the stock fairings or how they separate, so this mod is great.

It's a stock issue with thin parts. If the part snaps but stays red, very slowly move the mouse downwards. Sometimes changing camera view such that the cursor stays on the part at all times helps.

(and yeah, proc fairing sides won't connect to the stock bases :P )

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I missed anything in the thread, but I haven't been able to make Procedural Fairings 3.15 and FAR 0.15.5.7 understand each other. I can make FAR 'see' a procedural fairing as long as it's only one piece of the fairing, verified using the debug voxel mode.

zvP1Mji.jpg

Here it is with the full fairing, seen from below. Note the missing voxels on the fairing itself, while the base has accurate voxels.

lnCA8kK.jpg

And finally, a comparison with stock fairings.

YmbO4lX.jpg

Is there some configuration I missed to make this work? I started from a clean KSP with updated versions of the mods. Are these mods simply no longer compatible?

NathanKell: Will Procedural Fairings pass the correct geometry to FAR if I cap the bottom with something, then?

softweir: Exactly. I'm not sure what's going on there, but it sure isn't right.

Playing around with it more, it seems that FAR occasionally 'sees' the correct fairing if the craft is reloaded in the VAB. Manipulating the fairing in any way usually makes it break again. This doesn't bode well for the flights themselves, if the geometry isn't read correctly when the craft is loaded for an actual launch.

All of my tests, including changing the shape of procedural fairings has resulted int he correct fairing shape in all situations.  Remember that in any situation in which you attach only one half of the fairing FAR will not voxelize a whole fairing, because there isn't one there to voxelize.  If you're somehow managing to cause an issue, you need to report it in the FAR thread with minimal mods (read: only FAR and pFairings), detailed reproduction steps that are guaranteed to work and a full copy of your output_log.txt.  Missing any of those, or reporting, "this just happened" with no other information doesn't get anything fixed.

I had no reason to suspect FAR in this, as as far as I could see all other parts were correctly voxelized. If I encounter an issue I suspect is due to FAR, I'll make sure to investigate it thoroughly on my own first and submit as complete a report as I can. I know you get to deal with a lot of incomplete stuff, I lurk routinely in the FAR thread.

I set aside some time today to do more tests, and it seems that even if the voxelization doesn't display correctly in the VAB, everything works as it should once the craft is actually loaded for a launch. I also identified how this happens in the VAB.

1. Place a pFairings base and give it a dimension, either with a payload or just setting dimensions yourself.

2. Place a fairing onto a fairing node, making sure to set the symmetry mode to only place one single section of the full fairing, as in my first screenshot.

3. Verify with the debug voxel view that the fairing section and anything within is correctly voxelized, as it should be.

4. Click the same fairing section to pull it off the fairing base, and while still holding it, change the symmetry mode to make it become a full fairing when reattached (from single to 2, 4 or higher symmetry).

5. Verify with the debug voxel view that the outer fairing is not voxelized in the VAB.

6. Save and reload the craft in the VAB.

7. Verify again with the debug voxel view that the fairing is now correctly voxelized.

So in short; it doesn't cause any issues whatsoever for an actual launch and may just look odd in the VAB. Sorry if I caused any inconvenience!

Edited by Cerbis

On 27.2.2016 at 4:45 AM, curtquarquesso said:

-snip-

Jeez, I totally forgot to reply to this. I feel genuinely ashamed. :blush:That's what happens when you read the forums on your phone under the table in a booooring meeting... 

For my defense, I hadn't really had the time recently for testing all my ~50 mods for conflicts (btw, big thanks @ssd21345 for your research! I just installed KRnD aroung that time. Choosing between the 2 is a real dilemma though). I actually have to restrain myself from launching KSP now which would be a very bad idea given that it's 00:40 here and there's work tomorrow.

Anyway, thanks for your tips @curtquarquesso and my apologies for not reacting.