[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

It looks like the fairings have negative costs. See this .craft file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B74Ezn51tCNpZEtfbjB2cTNGMW8/view?usp=sharing

My mods:

Spoiler

[x] Science! (xScience 4.17)
Action Groups Extended (AGExt 2.0)
B9 Part Switch (B9PartSwitch v1.1.4)
Community Resource Pack (CommunityResourcePack 0.5.1.1)
Connected Living Space (ConnectedLivingSpace 1.2.0.9)
Contract Configurator (ContractConfigurator 1.11.5)
Contract Pack: Anomaly Surveyor (ContractConfigurator-AnomalySurveyor 1.4.3)
Contract Pack: Bases and Stations (ContractConfigurator-KerbinSpaceStation 1:3.2.1.2)
Contract Pack: Field Research (ContractConfigurator-FieldResearch 1.1.7)
Contract Pack: Giving Aircraft a Purpose (GAP) (GAP 1.2.5)
Contract Pack: RemoteTech (ContractConfigurator-RemoteTech 2.0.2)
Contract Pack: Tourism Plus (ContractConfigurator-Tourism 1.4.2)
Contract Pack: Unmanned Contracts (ContractConfigurator-UnmannedContracts 0.3.19.1)
Custom Barn Kit (CustomBarnKit 1.1.8.0)
Deadly Reentry Continued (DeadlyReentry v7.4.4)
Distant Object Enhancement (DistantObject v1.7.1)
Distant Object Enhancement default config (DistantObject-default v1.7.1)
DMagic Orbital Science (DMagicOrbitalScience 1.2.4)
Dynamic Deflection (DynamicDeflection 1.2.1)
Engine Lighting (EngineLighting 1.4.3)
Engineering Tech Tree (ETT 1:v20160205)
Environmental Visual Enhancements (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements 2:EVE-1.1-1)
Environmental Visual Enhancements - Config files (EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements-HR 2:EVE-1.1-1)
Ferram Aerospace Research (FerramAerospaceResearch 3:0.15.6.3)
Final Frontier (FinalFrontier 1.0.7-2319)
Fog Of Tech (FogOfTech 0.3)
Hide Empty Tech Tree Nodes (HideEmptyTechNodes 0.4)
Kerbal Alarm Clock (KerbalAlarmClock v3.6.1.0)
Kerbal Attachment System (KAS 0.5.7)
Kerbal Construction Time (KerbalConstructionTime 1.3.3.7)
Kerbal Engineer Redux (KerbalEngineerRedux 1.1.1.0)
Kerbal Inventory System (KIS 1.2.9)
Kerbal Joint Reinforcement (KerbalJointReinforcement v3.1.7)
kOS: Scriptable Autopilot System (kOS 0.20.0)
KRASH - Kerbal Ramification Artifical Simulation Hub (simulation mod for KSP) (KRASH 0.5.4)
KSP AVC (KSP-AVC 1.1.6.1)
MagiCore (MagiCore 1.1.1)
Modular Rocket Systems LITE (ModularRocketSystemsLITE 1.12.6)
ModularFlightIntegrator (ModularFlightIntegrator 1.1.3.0)
Module Manager (ModuleManager 2.6.24)
Near Future Electrical (NearFutureElectrical 0.7.1)
Near Future Electrical Core (NearFutureElectrical-Core 0.7.1)
Near Future Electrical Extras: Decaying RTGs Patch (NearFutureElectrical-DecayingRTGs 0.7.1)
Near Future Propulsion (NearFuturePropulsion 0.7.1)
Pilot Assistant (PilotAssistant 1.12.5)
PlanetShine (PlanetShine 1:0.2.5)
PlanetShine - Default configuration (PlanetShine-Config-Default 1:0.2.5)
Precise Maneuver (PreciseManeuver 2:2.0)
Procedural Fairings (ProceduralFairings v3.17)
RCS Build Aid (RCSBuildAid 0.7.7-14)
Real Plume (RealPlume 2:v10.5.1)
Real Plume - Stock Configs (RealPlume-StockConfigs v0.10.7)
RealChute Parachute Systems (RealChute v1.4.1.1)
RemoteTech (RemoteTech v1.7.0)
SCANsat (SCANsat v16.1)
scatterer (Scatterer 2:v0.0246)
scatterer - sunflare (Scatterer-sunflare 2:v0.0246)
ShipManifest (ShipManifest 5.0.9.0)
SmokeScreen - Extended FX Plugin (SmokeScreen 2.6.15.0)
SpacetuxSA (SpacetuxSA 0.3.9.0)
StageRecovery (StageRecovery 1.6.4)
Take Command (TakeCommand 1.4.1)
TestFlight (TestFlight 1.6.0.1)
TestFlight Config Stock (TestFlightConfigStock 1.6.0.1)
Toolbar (Toolbar 1.7.12)
Trajectories (Trajectories v1.6.1)
TriggerAu Flags (TriggerAu-Flags v2.7.4.0)
Universal Storage (UniversalStorage 1.1.0.12)
USI Life Support (USI-LS 0.4.2.1)
USI Tools (USITools 0.7.2.1)
Ven's Stock Part Revamp (VenStockRevamp v1.9.2)
Waypoint Manager (WaypointManager 2.5.1)

I am wondering if this is the Mod I should use to fix my issue with stock KSP. I want to put a Decoupler below a multi-engine stage. In stock KSP I have to do crazy work arounds that don't always work. I am trying to build a rocket that has a multi engine stage coupled on top of another stage.  Does this Mod allow you to do that cleanly?

Thanks

45 minutes ago, Lucky Spacer said:

I am wondering if this is the Mod I should use to fix my issue with stock KSP. I want to put a Decoupler below a multi-engine stage. In stock KSP I have to do crazy work arounds that don't always work. I am trying to build a rocket that has a multi engine stage coupled on top of another stage.  Does this Mod allow you to do that cleanly?

Thanks

Yes, use the interstage part.

I started the game and loaded the launchpad with my last craft already on and the fairing now is wobbling like hell, or better said, it bends over to one side like a rubber glove finger somehow...

Okay, the drag of my craft could be better, but before it worked so far ...

8 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

I started the game and loaded the launchpad with my last craft already on and the fairing now is wobbling like hell, or better said, it bends over to one side like a rubber glove finger somehow...

Deactivate "Auto Strut" in VAB on the Procedural Fairing Base. The Problem is known, but with this option the wobbling ends. And ... use Kerbal Reinforcement Mod.

Hey Modder,

I've been playing RP-0 and have progressed onto requiring fairings, however I'm getting some spooky aerodynamic issues when using them.

I re-installed stock 1.1.2 and just added PF via CKAN. When creating a simple 2 stage craft, I can see, when applying the aerodynamic overlay, that the node_connects are causing drag.

It does not seem to affect the craft too much in stock, but when adding FAR to the mod list all hell breaks loose and the drag on the invisible nodes eventually causes overheating.

I have tried the previous version of PF and FAR and the issues is present in both.

Is this something new to 1.1.2?

Your efforts are always appreciated :)

Benmush

In the hope of helping improving this mod, here an excerpt from the log file showing some errors during initial game loading:

Spoiler

[LOG 14:48:22.116] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'ProceduralFairings/adapter2/KzInterstageAdapter2'
[ERR 14:48:22.126] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 14:48:22.136] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[LOG 14:48:22.140] PartLoader: Part 'ProceduralFairings/adapter2/KzInterstageAdapter2' has no database record. Creating.
[ERR 14:48:22.145] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

Edited by Galenmacil

Below is an example of what I mean regarding the nodes being affected by aerodynamics. The fairing base is the flat one with 4 connection nodes, updating to more nodes adds more of these glitches.

At each "node_stack_connect" point the oddity occurs. If I update the "Side1.cfg" or "Side2.cfg" line:

From "node_stack_connect = 0, 0.5, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0"

TO "node_stack_connect = 0, 1, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0" the problems jumps vertically.

(Thought I could be cheeky and force it inside the fairing, however it was still causing drag in FAR)

url]31Vm8rr.jpg

9 hours ago, Benmush said:

Below is an example of what I mean regarding the nodes being affected by aerodynamics. The fairing base is the flat one with 4 connection nodes, updating to more nodes adds more of these glitches.

At each "node_stack_connect" point the oddity occurs. If I update the "Side1.cfg" or "Side2.cfg" line:

From "node_stack_connect = 0, 0.5, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0"

TO "node_stack_connect = 0, 1, 0, 0, -1, 0, 0" the problems jumps vertically.

(Thought I could be cheeky and force it inside the fairing, however it was still causing drag in FAR)

That's just how FAR has always worked. Attach nodes are focal points for drag. However, it treats attached nodes differently, especially if they are attach nodes for fairing pieces. If fairings are attached then those portions are shielded from the airstream. If a singular fairing is jettisoned then drag is applied to that spot. (which is about how it would be in real life)

If you have further questions or issues then you should bring them up in the FAR thread.

Edited by Starwaster

15 hours ago, Starwaster said:

That's just how FAR has always worked. Attach nodes are focal points for drag. However, it treats attached nodes differently, especially if they are attach nodes for fairing pieces. If fairings are attached then those portions are shielded from the airstream. If a singular fairing is jettisoned then drag is applied to that spot. (which is about how it would be in real life)

If you have further questions or issues then you should bring them up in the FAR thread.

I have checked with Ferram4 in the FAR thread with the following response.

"There is no code in FAR that applies drag to parts based on attach nodes, especially not for procedural fairings. "

@Starwaster  did you state this as a fact or a just guess?

@Starwaster. Seems you are correct and the aerodynamic overlay is just an incorrect calculation and is not actually simulated by FAR. Cheers.

Edited by Benmush
Correcting myself.

Each time I load a craft with procedural thrust plates there is a gap between the plate and the procedural tank above.

Sometimes it's okay to just reconnect, sometimes it's impossible, the moved part(s) become ghost and have no node.

Undo doesn't work, only everything else is undone but the ghost consists.

I guess this was mentioned before, but I'm not sure if this comes from PF or PP.

Edit: it happens with thrust plates of 10m or more, but not less. I can't pinpoint it exactly, but the 9m and 7.5m ones are not affected.

Edited by Gordon Dry

On May 16, 2016 at 11:05 PM, Galenmacil said:

In the hope of helping improving this mod, here an excerpt from the log file showing some errors during initial game loading:

Hide contents

[LOG 14:48:22.116] PartLoader: Compiling Part 'ProceduralFairings/adapter2/KzInterstageAdapter2'
[ERR 14:48:22.126] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[ERR 14:48:22.136] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

[LOG 14:48:22.140] PartLoader: Part 'ProceduralFairings/adapter2/KzInterstageAdapter2' has no database record. Creating.
[ERR 14:48:22.145] Cannot find fx group of that name for decoupler

These errors are completely harmless, no worries

While I love the procedural fairings both as aerodynamic and structural parts, I've always been annoyed by the height the fairing bases add to the rocket. Especially when using them as interstage parts their use quickly becomes limited as they add so much height with so much obvious emptiness inside them. And offsetting other parts into them comes with other issues like unrecoverable probe cores stuck inside, etc.

So I created a little MM patch that makes slim-copies of the original parts by shamelessly scaling them along the y-axis. To my surprise it seems to work perfectly, ie. the fairing still attach as they should and I don't notice any weird aerodynamic behavior :) TweakScale works nicely as well...
Because these parts are copies, they don't break existing ships in flight.

I really like how these new 0.2x scaled bases allow for sleek command module parts (probe core, reaction wheel, batteries, mono-tanks, rcs attached to outside) that rival custom made parts. Notice how in the first screenshot both bottom interstage bases are set to 0.7m height but the slim version offers so much more space to do something useful with.

To add a bit of a challenge in career mode, the slim bases have +1 tech level requirement than the regular versions.

I hope you guys find them to be useful and fun as well.

MM patch:

Spoiler

+PART[KzResizableFairingBaseRing] {
    @name = KzResizableFairingBaseRingSlim
    @title = Fairing Base Ring SLIM

@MODEL {
        @scale = 1, 0.2, 1
    }

//@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 1
    @node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.04, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
    @node_stack_connect01 = 0.5, 0.02, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
    @node_stack_connect02 = 0.5, 0.02, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
    @node_stack_connect03 = 0.5, 0.02, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
    @node_stack_connect04 = 0.5, 0.02, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
    @node_stack_connect05 = 0.5, 0.02, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
    @node_stack_connect06 = 0.5, 0.02, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
    @node_stack_connect07 = 0.5, 0.02, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
    @node_stack_connect08 = 0.5, 0.02, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

@TechRequired = advAerodynamics
}

+PART[KzInterstageAdapter2] {
    @name = KzInterstageAdapterSlim
    @title = Fairing Base Ring SLIM

@MODEL {
        @scale = 1, 0.2, 1
    }

//@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
    @node_stack_top    = 0.0, 0.04, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
    //@node_stack_top1   = 0.0, 2.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
    @node_stack_connect01 = -0.5, 0.02,  0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
    @node_stack_connect02 =  0.0, 0.02,  0.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
    @node_stack_connect03 =  0.5, 0.02,  0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
    @node_stack_connect04 =  0.0, 0.02, -0.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
    @node_stack_connect05 = -0.5, 0.02,  0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
    @node_stack_connect06 =  0.0, 0.02,  0.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
    @node_stack_connect07 =  0.5, 0.02,  0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
    @node_stack_connect08 =  0.0, 0.02, -0.5, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

@TechRequired = specializedConstruction
}

Edited by OliverPA

1 hour ago, CodeFantastic said:

I'm getting a problem with interstage fairings in which after launch they just kinda, fall off? In the F3 menu it says structural failure but I dont know why.

I'm having the exact same issue. Fairing shells just fall off at random. Most of the time it's during launch, but a minute ago I had just loaded a rocket on the launch pad and the fairings fell over before I had even done any staging... (hence why I'm here now).

On 15 May 2016 at 8:22 AM, hraban said:

Deactivate "Auto Strut" in VAB on the Procedural Fairing Base. The Problem is known, but with this option the wobbling ends. And ... use Kerbal Reinforcement Mod.

This solved the issue for me. Hope it solves the issue for you, too, @CodeFantastic. :)

Is changing textures on procedural fairings still possible? I know it used to be back in 1.0x, but having installed 1.1.2, I can only change textures on parts, (actually only tested on procedural fuel tank). I've seen on previous page a couple of links and followed the endless loop of forwarding mod links but can't really figure out what it is I actually need. I have ProcParts, ProcFairings, MainSailors Textures, Firespitter, KW etc.

31 minutes ago, Pronoes said:

Is changing textures on procedural fairings still possible? I know it used to be back in 1.0x, but having installed 1.1.2, I can only change textures on parts, (actually only tested on procedural fuel tank). I've seen on previous page a couple of links and followed the endless loop of forwarding mod links but can't really figure out what it is I actually need. I have ProcParts, ProcFairings, MainSailors Textures, Firespitter, KW etc.

You have to install some extensions, like blackhart.

Just FYI

This mod seemed to dramatically and negatively affect the stability of my KSP game. Post installation last night I had three crashes in half an hour all whilst I was mucking about with the new fairings. Removed it and normal service seems to have been restored. I am running the 64-bit version of KSP.

Looked like a great mod whilst I was playing around with it, shame it doesn't seem to work properly on my install at least!

30 minutes ago, Bishop149 said:

Just FYI

This mod seemed to dramatically and negatively affect the stability of my KSP game. Post installation last night I had three crashes in half an hour all whilst I was mucking about with the new fairings. Removed it and normal service seems to have been restored. I am running the 64-bit version of KSP.

Looked like a great mod whilst I was playing around with it, shame it doesn't seem to work properly on my install at least!

Posts like this don't really help unless they are accompanied by logs and at least a description of what you did before the problem happened.

Refer to the following link for help in locating your logs and on preferred methods of making them available for others to see: