[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

is there any way to add custom graphics to the side of the fairings? instead of eh recycle sign

You can edit the texture. It looks like it's in fairing1.tga in the install dir.

I guess it's because MechJeb doesn't detect them properly since they are not stock decouplers, but a new custom PartModule. Fixing it likely means fixing MechJeb, I'll look into it later.

I just had a look at it, mechjeb checks for either of these (child is Decoupler) || (child is DecouplerGUI) || (child is RadialDecoupler) || child.Modules.Contains("ModuleDecouple") || child.Modules.Contains("ModuleAnchoredDecoupler") in order to determine whether it should step through the stage when reaching the next engine.

I did some tests on adding an empty ModuleAnchoredDecouple to the side part resulted in mechjeb blocking on that stage requiring you to trigger the fairing opening by hand but atleast it would stop on that stage.

is there any way to add custom graphics to the side of the fairings? instead of eh recycle sign

You can edit fairing1.tga - the texture of the side fairings.

Or you can clone side1.cfg and replace texture with you own (look here on how to do that).

You can also adjust fairing shape in the .cfg and even release it as your mod for procedural fairings :)

Here's the template for the texture I used, showing parts of the fairing in different colors.

I'm going to add more differently styled side fairings and tutorial on making your own later, see future plans in the OP.

Fairings perform a lot better in 1.2, loving the mod even more now. Any word on how interstage fairings are coming along?

I didn't do anything yet after 1.2 update but interstage fairings is the first thing on my to do list.

It looks like they'd be between two base parts (one flipped), eject-able, with shape similar to current ones if you cut off some of the nose cone.

I might add low-profile bases as well.

I just had a look at it, mechjeb checks for either of these (child is Decoupler) || (child is DecouplerGUI) || (child is RadialDecoupler) || child.Modules.Contains("ModuleDecouple") || child.Modules.Contains("ModuleAnchoredDecoupler") in order to determine whether it should step through the stage when reaching the next engine.

I did some tests on adding an empty ModuleAnchoredDecouple to the side part resulted in mechjeb blocking on that stage requiring you to trigger the fairing opening by hand but atleast it would stop on that stage.

If that works, adding || child.Modules.Contains("ProceduralFairingSide") to MechJeb code should fix it. I'll check that later.

I didn't do anything yet after 1.2 update but interstage fairings is the first thing on my to do list.

It looks like they'd be between two base parts (one flipped), eject-able, with shape similar to current ones if you cut off some of the nose cone.

Yeah. I'm thinking something that looks like the 2m stack decoupler, just two rings you'd place and the plugin would generate fairings between them

That'd be terrific. The only quibble I have about the mod is that the bases are a little clunky-looking. I really like the look of the KW fairing bases. They look like they were built to be as lightweight as possible, because you know, space.

But I couldn't make a 3D model if you paid me (I know; people have tried), so I'm the last person to complain about that kind of thing.

This is how your KSP folder looks like:

0kAerUy.png

Put the Keramzit folder in GameData like this, note folder structure.

eQr8pZV.png

Since I'm running OS X, is it not possible for me to install the fairings because I don't have a GameData folder in my game root?

You can edit fairing1.tga - the texture of the side fairings.

Or you can clone side1.cfg and replace texture with you own (look here on how to do that).

You can also adjust fairing shape in the .cfg and even release it as your mod for procedural fairings :)

Here's the template for the texture I used, showing parts of the fairing in different colors.

I'm going to add more differently styled side fairings and tutorial on making your own later, see future plans in the OP.

If that works, adding || child.Modules.Contains("ProceduralFairingSide") to MechJeb code should fix it. I'll check that later.

Of course it would. I just don't like the idea of having to change every mod in order to add compability for your own stuff if you can write yours in a way it gets detected like stock.

Of course it would. I just don't like the idea of having to change every mod in order to add compability for your own stuff if you can write yours in a way it gets detected like stock.

Well, I tried stock decoupler modules first, but they didn't work well with procedural parts, so I had to write my own decoupling.

I finally got a chance to sit down and work with the revisions you made, e-dog. Absolutely fantastic! Not only do they conform nicely to the payload, they separate cleanly and reliably. Here's some shots of my tests:

zFsbvDA.jpg

cBDdM3h.jpg

GL9CmB9.jpg

I tried launching the stock Space Station Core using the 2.5m Custom Fairing Base and every time I try to jettison the fairings, the solar panels get ripped off the station... :/

*edit* Never mind, I was putting them on backwards... d'oh...

Edited by Awaras

I tried launching the stock Space Station Core using the 2.5m Custom Fairing Base and every time I try to jettison the fairings, the solar panels get ripped off the station... :/

*edit* Never mind, I was putting them on backwards... d'oh...

I did not know we could put them on backwards :/ maybe i did the same thing?

I did not know we could put them on backwards :/ maybe i did the same thing?

I was placing them like this (putting the part on the LEFT connection node):

lqZtu7r.jpg

and you need to place them like this (on the RIGHT connection node):

JHZUpTr.jpg

If you place them like in the first image they look the same, but the halves jettison towards the inside instead of outwards...

Edited by Awaras

If you place them like in the first image they look the same, but the halves jettison towards the inside instead of outwards...

That's a bug, I'll check it. Are you using version 1.2 of the mod?

I'm trying to use half a fairing as a reentry shield for long payloads, but it seems the fairings detach when you get out of warp and there is nothing I can do about it (before launch dewarping is ok though). Is anyone else having the same issue?

Ps Thanks e-dog for this amazing mod!

So I did a test to see which type of fairing was better. Here are my results, I used this, KSPX, and Ferram Aerospace Research (all linked in my signature).

Test 1, Conical: Highest Altitude: 19,139m

Test 2, Conical: Highest Altitude: 19,103m

Test 3, Conical: Highest Altitude: 19,110m

Test 1, Rounded: Highest Altitude: 18,971m

Test 2, Rounded: Highest Altitude: 18,984m

Test 3, Rounded: Highest Altitude: 18,968m

Test rigs here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ekxiq1winh9ltif/Fairing%20Test%20Rig%20-%20Conical.craft

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3czstbfujqv3cfz/Fairing%20Test%20Rig%20-%20Rounded.craft

Aside from the fairing itself, they are identical. The fairing sizes are just what popped up when I made the "payload". I flew them by activating RCS, SAS, and the boosters at the same time, and turning RCS and SAS off as soon as the boosters burned out.

Also, simple interstage fairings (just a cylinder or truncated cone) should be easy to make, so I'll look into it after FAR and ejection fixes.

Great work with this mod. My immediate reaction was to start pulling the source apart to work out how it can be used to to interstage fairings. In particular I am keen for an engine housing that has a baseplate ("under plate") that engine clusters can be attached to, and the interstage fairings adapt to depending on the siza and shape ofthe engines, but also crutally the fairing/baseplate provide a bottom node to that the lower stage can be attached to the fariing and not the engine cluster that it is concealling.

If this is what you have in mind then I will sit back and enjoy your work, but if not then I hope you would be supportive of me having a fiddle with your code.

I think that proceedural interstages would be awsome, However I don't think that requiring two rings is a good Idea, perhaps a single ring that doubles as a decoupler or stack seperator.., but basically if I'm using interstages, its because they can cover up things like engines and/or stack node-size adapters for the upper stages of a rocket.

Speaking of which, proceedural interstages would probably lead to me removing most of the current interstage models on the stock parts that have them.