[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Great work with this mod. My immediate reaction was to start pulling the source apart to work out how it can be used to to interstage fairings. In particular I am keen for an engine housing that has a baseplate ("under plate") that engine clusters can be attached to, and the interstage fairings adapt to depending on the siza and shape ofthe engines, but also crutally the fairing/baseplate provide a bottom node to that the lower stage can be attached to the fariing and not the engine cluster that it is concealling.

If this is what you have in mind then I will sit back and enjoy your work, but if not then I hope you would be supportive of me having a fiddle with your code.

First, I'm going to make interstage fairings between two base parts (one flipped), with ejectable side fairings. The two base part are needed to mark start/end of the fairings.

Do you want a cylindrical/conical fairing (no ejectable sides, single part) which has a stack attach points at the top/bottom and resizes automatically? I don't see a way to limit its height except manually adjusting it like procedural wing does.

Updated to 1.3, fixed ejection direction bug.

Just tried it - and it still sometimes ejects in weird direction, trashing my solar arrays (I've lost 60k in my Mission Controller's mission due to payload was incapacitated by fairings :().

Just tried it - and it still sometimes ejects in weird direction, trashing my solar arrays (I've lost 60k in my Mission Controller's mission due to payload was incapacitated by fairings :().

Does it happen sometimes, or always with the same vessel? Could you post a .craft file?

I have problems with wobbly payloads, how do I fix this?

Remove side fairings. Strut your payload to the part below fairing base. Put back side fairings. Adjust fairing radius if necessary so you have fairings with the bottom cone. The bottom cone has no colliders, so it'll let struts pass to the payload.

First, I'm going to make interstage fairings between two base parts (one flipped), with ejectable side fairings. The two base part are needed to mark start/end of the fairings.

Do you want a cylindrical/conical fairing (no ejectable sides, single part) which has a stack attach points at the top/bottom and resizes automatically? I don't see a way to limit its height except manually adjusting it like procedural wing does.

My thinking so far on engine farings is outlined in this thread: I will wait to see where you take this stuff before spending too much time playing around with it. I will watch this thread with interest.

Sorry for possible double-post:

Has anyone had any problems with the fairings falling off in flight before they are jettisoned? I have a problem with my Apollo-11 style craft where the fairings around the lander fall off pretty reliably when the circularisation burn begins. They detatch without being triggered (they don't jettison) and clip through the payload, then intersect the rest of the rocket and explode....

I'm running the 1.3 version of Procedural fairings. Mechjeb is doing my ascent and the rocket is mostly made from KW rocketry and AIES parts, if there are any known conflicts.

Ias

Sorry for possible double-post:

Has anyone had any problems with the fairings falling off in flight before they are jettisoned? I have a problem with my Apollo-11 style craft where the fairings around the lander fall off pretty reliably when the circularisation burn begins. They detatch without being triggered (they don't jettison) and clip through the payload, then intersect the rest of the rocket and explode....

I'm running the 1.3 version of Procedural fairings. Mechjeb is doing my ascent and the rocket is mostly made from KW rocketry and AIES parts, if there are any known conflicts.

Ias

thats happened to me once out of about 30 launches with these fairings

One of my payloads does this when dewarping, but the others don't. It is a mystery to me.

Could you post a .craft file for it so I can investigate the issue?

I think it only happened to me the one time I tried to install quantum struts to the actual inside of the nose cone pointed inwards at the payload, it came apart and fell inwards on the payload when it came out of warp. This was with 1.2

Remove side fairings. Strut your payload to the part below fairing base. Put back side fairings. Adjust fairing radius if necessary so you have fairings with the bottom cone. The bottom cone has no colliders, so it'll let struts pass to the payload.

Thank you! Lastly I saw you included a base for a 5m rocket part, where can I find said parts? For science, you know. :)

Does it happen sometimes, or always with the same vessel? Could you post a .craft file?

Yea, sometimes, while other times it doesn't. I wasn't able to identify any pattern. I'll continue using it and will let you know if I'll get more stable results.

My thinking so far on engine farings is outlined in this thread: I will wait to see where you take this stuff before spending too much time playing around with it. I will watch this thread with interest.

Like i said in the previous post, I'd love such a decoupler which will resize itself as well as with the capability that players can also adjust the diameter of both ends and the height manually. In that way, the requirement of auto-resizing will be lower. Yes you know for some complex situation, it's rather hard for the program to analyze the correct bounding box of the engine (or engine clusters) in the upper stage, and since it can be adjusted manually by users, that can be a good work-around. Oh, and for manually setting the diameters, if you can provide some preset diameters (like 1.25m, 2.5m, 3.75m and 5m etc) which is widely used in lots of popular MODs by pressing some sort of hotkeys that would be even finer.

Works great, but I'm curious why the ejectionTorque/Dv is so high. They FLEW off my rocket. I'd really like them to drift a little softer. Can that be changed by adjusting the values in the .cfg, or do they get overwritten by lines 611 and 612 (KSPField for Dv and Torque, respectively)?

Hey, I'm having a problem with your mod: The parts won't even show up on the part list. D:

I installed it like any other mod, extracting the "Keramzit" folder on GameData. Am I missing something obvious here?

The parts should be in the Aerodynamics tab. If they aren't there, you can check your output_log.txt (it's in KSP_Data folder) for any messages related to "Keramzit" (just use text search).

Works great, but I'm curious why the ejectionTorque/Dv is so high. They FLEW off my rocket. I'd really like them to drift a little softer. Can that be changed by adjusting the values in the .cfg, or do they get overwritten by lines 611 and 612 (KSPField for Dv and Torque, respectively)?

The values in KSPFields are the default ones, you can adjust them in the .cfg. If I make them lower, some people will have accidents with fairings colliding into lower stages :rolleyes:

Is there any news/eta on the timings of the interstage fairings?

I might start them this week, but I'm quite busy right now. I have a game to make (I'm a game developer), and there's a lot of real life stuff on my hands this week too.