[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

You can try adding another ModuleDecouple and set its explosive node to top, not top1? You'd have to not use the movable node, but it should work (adjust fairing height with J)

I second the feature request though, it'd be very helpful to toggle whether the payload is released on fairing decouple or on adapter decouple.

But keep it up the mod...as soon as they (Squad) improve the aerodynamic with a patch, this become very usefull.

But for now..I dont want to install too much mods. If I need FAR mod to get a benefit, I'll MAYBE( :D ) wait until the stock game provide more aerodynamic features.

I have ceased to view FAR as a mod. It is more like a stand-in update/bugfix until development catches up to this point.

Another question:

Is there anything stopping you making the fairing bases freely variable diameter the same as the interstage? I only ask because I can do interstage on non-standard sized rockets (Looking at Mr BobCat, I use his launchers for almost everything these days!) and they look awesome but the fairings look ugly because they stick out at the sides on some because they aren't exactly 2.5/3.75/5m parts. Even if it was only on the low-profile fairing bases (I can imagine the full bases might have issues with the payload deck scaling vertically??) it'd still be very beneficial I think :)

I have ceased to view FAR as a mod. It is more like a stand-in update/bugfix until development catches up to this point.

Same goes with Deadly Re-entry for me ^^

That's planned for the next update.

That's a great news :)

Here are some new textures for the fairings; they're designed to blend in with StretchyTanks (and my new textures for ST).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qrgcs9fhmz3pq6l/PFTextures.zip

Examples:

It took me some time to figure out how to use these and they don't work in career out of the box. Would it be possible to use ST's method of texture cycling for a single part instead of many parts?

Because of this mod, I just go and delete whatever fairings come with any of the other mods I use, they are an eyesore.

Not me, I leave those fairings so they can sit on the sidelines and cry while watching me use PF instead.

For some reason I can't seem to get the interstage to work. Or rather...there is some mod conflict.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5cdxhfqs6m9jk96/screenshot31.png

That's my lander.

The top part is fine, so that is not the problem. The top decoupler is flipped, so it decouples from the floating node just fine.

The problem is in the bottom, with the interstage ring + KW decoupler.

When I decouple from that decoupler, the lander does not separate at all. Clicking "Jettison" on the engine fairings doesn't do anything either. This happens with whatever decoupler I put on the interstage ring, be it stock or KW - it just doesn't work.

However, if i save and load the game - it decouples just fine. Or rather if I use the stage controls with Interstage Decoupler + actual Decoupler, instead of right-clicking the decoupler on top of the interstage ring.

For some reason I can't seem to get the interstage to work. Or rather...there is some mod conflict.

Is there any chance you're using Kerbal Joint Reinforcement mod? Old version of it particularly?

The fairing seem to not protect deployed antennas

That's a known problem with antennas and solar panels. It's the same with other fairings too.

The antenna code checks if you're moving in atmosphere and doesn't know anything about being shielded.

Yes, I am using KJR, but it is the latest version - 1.4.2.

I also thought it might be the issue in my case.

I have linked my issue in the KJR thread, hopefully Ferram will see it.

It's easy to check. Remove KJR and see if the problem persists.

Hey e-dog, a question for you: might it be possible for you to export the fairing side mesh such that the inside and the outside use separate textures? Then you can use the code I wrote for StretchySRB to support adding new textures arbitrarily (support via confignode) and switching between them. It also means they could share the same set of textures as the sides of stretchy tanks, meaning textures wouldn't have to be duplicated (that's why I ask re: exporting with two textures).

I assume I'm not the only one who uses procedural fairings / interstages to make curved rocket/plane fuselages?

Another thing you might think about: IMO it would take very little work to turn the procedural interstage into a very shapeable fuel tank. Just keep the fairing sides always attached (or, if the current way you do things require they be separate parts, ah well), add a top cap, and change the interstage model so it's just a bottom cap. Then we can make tanks of any top and/or bottom radius, any height, and even have curvature!

I've been thinking off-an-on about trying that out by making a modified version of the StretchyTanks module, but I haven't gotten around to it and figured it'd be best to touch base with you first anyway.

Two textures would need changing the code, because the fairing mesh is replaced with the generated one.

I think you can do that with the current single texture though.

Making a procedural cone-shaped tank isn't hard, but I thought it was your specialty :)

Also I see you make a new Deadly Reentry. I might try that one. Are there bugs?

Maybe this would be an all new mod, but can you make the fairing bases rotate two of the four fairings behind the other two - kind of a procedural cargo bay?

Maybe2 I should post this in the robotics mod thread (too).