[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Request a feature that set different radius and height for different sections to make fitting the fairings with escape tower easier.

It's so hard in current version:rolleyes:http://i.imgur.com/qnGskNP.jpg

Why would you put a fairing over an already aerodynamically-shaped part like this?

If you're not happy with the abrupt changes, it's more to do with your fairing ring placement than the amount it tapers at any one spot.

At what level of tech do the fairings open up? It seems silly to unlock the 0.625 base and then not provide any fairing. I just unlocked Composites (550) and was all excited to get my shiny new fairings but the only things unlocked are still the 0.625 custom and fairing base but no fairings!!! What is the point or do I have a bug?

I am running steam version 0.23.

This is kind of pissing me off. I just blew 550 science to get the fairings. It says I own the parts but they are greyed out in the VAB. All can pick even with tech all the way out to the last tier is the 0.625 bases!!! WTF!

Edited by ctbram

Why would you put a fairing over an already aerodynamically-shaped part like this?

If you're not happy with the abrupt changes, it's more to do with your fairing ring placement than the amount it tapers at any one spot.

Because there are some solar panels on the service module:rolleyes:

Because there are some solar panels on the service module:rolleyes:

You appear to have a DRE decoupler (presumably over a heat shield) just below the Mk1-2 command pod. In any case, the ring should be below the pod, but above the cylinder holding the panels. That way the panels are covered, you use less fairing (weight saving) and the pod does what it is supposed to - sharp end towards airflow.

Well I just started playing the game less then a week ago. I am sorry if I have not drilled down to disassembling the machine code and yet. Thanks for the pointer to the .cfg file.

Sorry I have another, probably, dumb question. I have advConstruction and stability unlocked. I am looking in the .cfg file and the 0.625 and 1.25 say they require stability yet only the 0.625 bases are unlocked.

NOTE: I found the panels. The issue was they seem to show up in two different tabs, in one they are greyed out in the other they are not.

The 2.5m base says it requires advConstruction, which I have, yet all I can select is the 0.625 bases???

There is a 3.75m and 5m config file but there is no TechRequired value set???

Do I have a bug, or is this normal behavior, or am I not looking in the correct place for the parts?

Also, to jettison the fairing there is a note that says I must add a decoupler. I do not see one specific to the mod, I can't see any radial decouplers that woulf work, if I use the 0.625 inline decoupler UNDER the base I blow the base and payload into space, if I put the decoupler on top of the base and under my payload, I blow my payload into space. so what decoupler do I use and where do I attach it?

Sorry if these are annoying questions.

Edited by ctbram

Sorry I have another, probably, dumb question. I have advConstruction and stability unlocked. I am looking in the .cfg file and the 0.625 and 1.25 say they require stability yet only the 0.625 bases are unlocked.

NOTE: I found the panels. The issue was they seem to show up in two different tabs, in one they are greyed out in the other they are not.

The 2.5m base says it requires advConstruction, which I have, yet all I can select is the 0.625 bases???

There is a 3.75m and 5m config file but there is no TechRequired value set???

Do I have a bug, or is this normal behavior, or am I not looking in the correct place for the parts?

Also, to jettison the fairing there is a note that says I must add a decoupler. I do not see one specific to the mod, I can't see any radial decouplers that woulf work, if I use the 0.625 inline decoupler UNDER the base I blow the base and payload into space, if I put the decoupler on top of the base and under my payload, I blow my payload into space. so what decoupler do I use and where do I attach it?

Sorry if these are annoying questions.

3.75 & 5m parts don't have TechRequired specified so yes you need to add them by yourself.

For other parts, you should have no difficulties finding them in R&D and unlocking them.

To expand HoneyFox's advice, to easily see parts that have been added to previously researched tech nodes look for a number in a circle on each node on the tech tree. That shows how many parts have yet to be unlocked in that node. Simply select the node and the relevant parts to unlock them. That should stop them being greyed out in the VAB. :)

For the record, real manned spacecraft that use escape towers have a fairing over the command module, too, to protect it from the escape tower's exhaust if it's used. It's generally jettisoned along with the tower.

For the record, real manned spacecraft that use escape towers have a fairing over the command module, too, to protect it from the escape tower's exhaust if it's used. It's generally jettisoned along with the tower.

Yup, and i have tried to make one using this mod, but have not been able to get it to work. If anyone has been able to make a shroud, please let me know your secret(s).

thanks....

So we can actually install a reverted interstage adapter between the tower and the pod... and yes it will go with the tower if you place a small decoupler between the adapter and the pod.

The issue with using an interstage adapter for that (or in any case where radius far from adapter > radius at adapter) is that when topradius (farthest from adapter) > bottomradius, the radius of the fairing does most of its expansion near the adapter. Gives you a "U"-shaped fairing, if you will, rather than a streamlined "V"-shaped fairing.

This may have been covered and I apologize in advance if it has. A search in this thread with a couple of different terms did not come up with meaningful results.

Is there a way to edit the shape of the fairing sides in the .cfg file to generate a fairing that has the egg shaped top and a flat angled base? Similar to the fairings used on the Atlas V 500?

VFGSgAZ.jpg

I can think of two solutions:

1- you could use a conic Stretchy Tank and then a normal egg-shaped faring.

2- You could use an upside down interstage adapter below the fairing base. Use conic fuselages in the interstage adapter and egg-shaped fairings in the base.

It isn't possible with just one base though. I would use my solution #1