[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

I would want manual control over the height of the center section, too. When launching multiple small payloads under one fairing, it doesn't know how to handle that and makes the fairing to the height to cover the centerline item. If the surrounding payloads are smaller, they clip through the cone and there's nothing you can do about it. I have to keep some standard fairing sets on hand to launch things like this:

oHX5zTV.png

If I remember correctly, the interstage fairing base gives this option already, but the nosecone bases don't.

Edited by RoboRay

I am new to KSP and have been doing well I like the fairings but I have problems with crafts and stages and such falling out of the fairings and I am unsure what I Am doing wrong if anyone can shed some light on it that would be awesome and very helpful Thanks.

I am new to KSP and have been doing well I like the fairings but I have problems with crafts and stages and such falling out of the fairings and I am unsure what I Am doing wrong if anyone can shed some light on it that would be awesome and very helpful Thanks.

Falling off inside fairings? Strut it! :D

I'm probably doing something wrong, but I'm having trouble with making interstage adapters. I can use two fairing bases facing each other, and it works ok, like this:

1XHAYF3.png

But if I try to use the interstage adapter (which is what they're for, no?) I end up with weird shapes that I can't change, like this:

XuMDUTf.png

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Edited by brooklyn666

I'm probably doing something wrong, but I'm having trouble with making interstage adapters. I can use two fairing bases facing each other, and it works ok, like this:

http://i.imgur.com/1XHAYF3.png

But if I try to use the interstage adapter (which is what they're for, no?) I end up with weird shapes that I can't change, like this:

http://i.imgur.com/XuMDUTf.png

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Press "R" and hover around your adapter plate. that should solve this.

Is there a way to change priority of placing fairing decoplers in staging? Quite annoying this is that if I add fairings for the payload before contructing lifter rocket, then all added parts (decouplers, engines, SRB) tend to be added exacty to stage containing fairing decouplers, so I have to manually arrange them. Feels like game counts fairings as stage that must be executed first or something like this.

Example staging:

0 - chutes

1 - orbital module's engine + decoupler of lifter

2 - fairing decouplers (this is where all new stuff goes into when I add it to ship)

3 - SRB decoupler

4 - SRB&lifter engine

I'm having trouble figuring out how to reshape the fairings. There are four things I'd like to do:

1. Make a fairing that does not reshape based on the payload(is this even possible?).

2. A fairing that does not have a sharp corner that goes straight through from the nodes to it's end position.

3. Make Fairing Bases procedurally re-sizeable. It's terrible with such limited sizes and using Real Solar System with such a wide variety of rocket sizes. It severely restricts building potential. I feel.

4. Make the height of the inter-stage fairings independent of the re-sizing of the radius/width. Or just have it remain constant while the radius gets larger.

If anyone could possibly help to do this? It would be much appreciated

Edited by ANWRocketMan

I'm experiencing a problem with electrical connections across the interstage fairing that I don't quite understand, but I was able to reproduce it. I built a "service module"-type upper stage, and connected the interstage adapter beneath it. Then I dropped the interstage adapter onto a very large asparagus-staged launcher (19 orange tanks and 93 engines). When I launch, I've got a couple of seconds before everything below the interstage runs out of power. Overall I've got plenty of juice.

The big booster is a standard component I've used over and over and never had any problem with it, and I did an Apollo-style mission once with the interstage adapter and it worked flawlessly (Congratulations on an amazing piece of work, by the way).

The odd part is that I've tried adding as many as 50 RTGs to the orange tanks, and it didn't seem to help. I'm only using PF and Mechjeb, and the problem occurs whether I include MJ components or not. I've googled this until my googler is sore and haven't found anything similar.

Is anyone on the thread familiar with this kind of problem or have any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

**EDIT: I worked around the problem by adding a lot of batteries to the lower section, but either I'm missing something fundamental about how electric charge propagates, or the interstage fairing is failing to conduct properly.

Edited by Perry Apsis
New information

I've found a bug, the interstage adapter tries to wrap around launch clamps, both stock and FASA ones.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Noticed it because I wanted to add a launch tower for kerbals to the door of that ALCOR pod, and the interstage adapter went a bit bonkers in that fashion, would be nice if the interstage adapters could be adjusted to ignore the stock and FASA towers/clamps etc, I wonder if the normal fairings also do the same thing if you put clamps on the outside of them... hmm...

I'm experiencing a problem with electrical connections across the interstage fairing that I don't quite understand, but I was able to reproduce it. I built a "service module"-type upper stage, and connected the interstage adapter beneath it. Then I dropped the interstage adapter onto a very large asparagus-staged launcher (19 orange tanks and 93 engines). When I launch, I've got a couple of seconds before everything below the interstage runs out of power. Overall I've got plenty of juice.

The big booster is a standard component I've used over and over and never had any problem with it, and I did an Apollo-style mission once with the interstage adapter and it worked flawlessly (Congratulations on an amazing piece of work, by the way).

The odd part is that I've tried adding as many as 50 RTGs to the orange tanks, and it didn't seem to help. I'm only using PF and Mechjeb, and the problem occurs whether I include MJ components or not. I've googled this until my googler is sore and haven't found anything similar.

Is anyone on the thread familiar with this kind of problem or have any ideas where to start troubleshooting?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

**EDIT: I worked around the problem by adding a lot of batteries to the lower section, but either I'm missing something fundamental about how electric charge propagates, or the interstage fairing is failing to conduct properly.

Hmmm, batteries for what?

Edit: Electricity for what*

I've found a bug, the interstage adapter tries to wrap around launch clamps, both stock and FASA ones.

http://imgur.com/a/eBgXK

Noticed it because I wanted to add a launch tower for kerbals to the door of that ALCOR pod, and the interstage adapter went a bit bonkers in that fashion, would be nice if the interstage adapters could be adjusted to ignore the stock and FASA towers/clamps etc, I wonder if the normal fairings also do the same thing if you put clamps on the outside of them... hmm...

Press L to the fairings in issue (all of them) then try again.

Edited by blackheart612