[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

No, the question is how to limit the height of the interstage fairing *base*. And, brooklyn666, I know of no way to do that--it scales uniformly.

As a workaround, in the past I've scaled the height down about 0.25. Makes it pretty thin for really small rockets but about right for larger ones.

Not sure I still have that config but as I recall I had to change the position of the attachment nodes.... manually scaled the top/bottom ones.

As a workaround, in the past I've scaled the height down about 0.25. Makes it pretty thin for really small rockets but about right for larger ones.

Not sure I still have that config but as I recall I had to change the position of the attachment nodes.... manually scaled the top/bottom ones.

If you find it, could you send it my way?

And I'm not criticizing here, I love PF, but maybe this is something to consider for a future update? I myself have no idea how to mod anything, so I'll leave that to those who do, but I think a good system of procedural interstages is the one thing this mod lacks.

Is there any way to make the inter-stage fairings have this shape?

That looks like a simple change... proof of concept :

iHgjZSy.jpg

How to (brief) :-

Make a copy of the part.cfg, edit in a new part name and change the scale and attachment node positions:

PART
{
name = KwProcFairingBase1_25_thin
MODEL
{
model = blackheart/ProceduralFairings/KW_Fairing_Base
scale = 1.15, 0.25, 1.15 <<--- middle figure scales thickness
}

scale = 1
rescaleFactor = 0.75

// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.575, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0 <<--- second figure sets height of attach node
node_stack_connect01 = -0.625, 0.115, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0
node_stack_connect02 = 0.625, 0.115, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 0

Yeah, basically. The inter-stage fairing makes a very blocky shape whereas I want it to taper outwards directly from the inter-stage base to the end-point. L does not change the shape of the fairing.

So, yeah. I want to create, for example, the Curiosity aeroshell. But that's impossible with the shape the inter-stage makes right now.

So, yeah. I want to create, for example, the Curiosity aeroshell. But that's impossible with the shape the inter-stage makes right now.

I have been fiddling with that too. You can get it somewhere near the right shape by inverting some things and using them backwards, but it will not get that right shape. The base part will be too big.

Any chance that there will be 3.75m adapter base? I really dislike using the kw ones!

There is in fact a 3.75m and 5m part.cfg in the GameData folder. You need the line "TechRequired = advConstruction" to the configs to enable the parts in career mode.

I tried making the "procedural conic tank interstage" but the controls are mixed. It worked but pressing Y makes the top radius bigger both of the tank and the interstage. LOL

Depending on the dimensions of the payload, sometimes you can't adjust the radii independently. Bottom line is it needs to be able to create a shape that can contain the entire payload and it might not always get it right.

Procedural conic tank interstage was just a crazy concept atm. Anyways, I heard some guys here saying that the original interstage were too thick for 2.5m/3.75m parts.

So I tried making a cfg for a 2.5m interstage as thick as the one in 1.25m. Which turns out to be good enough for 3.75m

wJZiJRJ.png

Is there a way to do interstage fairings without placing an upside down fairing base on my rocket?

Use the interstage fairing base. Place it above your tanks then the engine of the next stage on the hovering node (not the node on the fairing base). You can adjust the height with H to lower the hovering node and then raise the faring (but not the hovering node) with J to enclose the engine. You can adjust the base radius with R and the radius around the engines with Y. I'm not sure but maybe you need to disable fairing struts with T.

Fabian