[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

I'm having an issue when trying to encase a probe with the M700 survey scanner on the top. The proc fairing doesn't cover it up properly.

https://www./convkey/c3ae/n1c8iiloo1foi3t6g.jpg

Please take a look and would be nice if this could be fixed. Maybe an extra height slider for the fairing base part too would be a good solution?

I was in this same situation recently. I used 0.22 extra radius for the egg-shaped fairings on my 1.25m diameter fairing base, which also added extra height, and easily cleared the M700.

As an added bonus, the fairings actually look like an egg.

• 2 weeks later...

I see that the tech limits I put forward some time ago were eventually implemented : :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/39512-1-0-4-Procedural-Fairings-3-15-%28June-27%29?p=1795833&viewfull=1#post1795833

However I also see that my name was not added to the authors list for the dummy parts in the tech tree (with attribution for "config" like StarStrider) :(

This makes me a very sad panda. :(

Great mod as always, though! Thanks for all the hard work! I just hope, maybe, I can be attributed for my (very minor) contribution?

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

no idea what you're trying to do but how about offsetting it?

Create actuall fuel tanks and use PF as walls. No I want the interstage piece to be invisible so I don't have to see it. Not that I will once I close the fairings, but it'd clean things up a lot.

I just need the mounting nodes. Surely there must be a way to just hide the model itself to make it just an invisible part with nodes.

• 2 weeks later...

hi,

I have reported this bug 2 times already, so I will report it again.

When loading vessles the procedural fairing adapters are in the wrong place.

I use the realism overhaul and its procedural fuel tanks. I have no idea if its an error in procedural fairings

or procedural tanks, I also have no clue how not every body else has this problems, I had them in 4 different installs.

I really think this bug should be fixed right now, it makes the game unplayable for me???

Whenever I use it in RSS its screwed up. It happens about every second vessel unloading. But I think this time I have a bit more

information: I.e. it seems to only occour if you connect a inline fairing adapter with its top (decoupler) connection point directly to a fuel tank (so the

engines - in symmetry mode - are mouted next to the connection node)

best regards

a triagular guy

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/106975-1-0-4-Procedural-Parts-Parts-the-way-you-want-em-v1-1-7-July-14?p=2245888&viewfull=1#post2245888

Edited by nablabla

hi,

I have reported this bug 2 times already, so I will report it again.

When loading vessles the procedural fairing adapters are in the wrong place.

I use the realism overhaul and its procedural fuel tanks. I have no idea if its an error in procedural fairings

or procedural tanks, I also have no clue how not every body else has this problems, I had them in 4 different installs.

I really think this bug should be fixed right now, it makes the game unplayable for me???

Whenever I use it in RSS its screwed up. It happens about every second vessel unloading. But I think this time I have a bit more

information: I.e. it seems to only occour if you connect a inline fairing adapter with its top (decoupler) connection point directly to a fuel tank (so the

engines - in symmetry mode - are mouted next to the connection node)

best regards

a triagular guy

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/106975-1-0-4-Procedural-Parts-Parts-the-way-you-want-em-v1-1-7-July-14?p=2245888&viewfull=1#post2245888

Maybe the reason you never get any help is because you're not providing enough information and nobody else is experiencing that bug so nobody ever has any idea what you're talking about.

Have you even posted so much as a screenshot? Because I have PF and PP and I'm not having any trouble with PF whatsoever.

I'd also consider the possibility of user error except that again, no screenshots and no real information about the problem.

So I got nothing.

hm, I remember that other people had that problem, and I can reproduce this bug 50% of the time. And I told you what to do and what the result is. And this happend half a year ago and is still like this.

Anyways if you need pictures:

good rocket: http://i.imgur.com/5BWjs4v.jpg

bad rocket: http://i.imgur.com/IM1JN5T.jpg

There's no indication of what is bad about the bad rocket.

I am confused, the top of the rocked used to be 3m long on the second picture it is only 1m long.

http://imgur.com/uYRXU5D

are you making fun of me? I dont get it. I really love your work and appreciate it, but I can not use it if it is like that, did I miss something? I know that I am an idoit hwo cannot spell things :confused:

Not my work, e-dog's. I'm just trying to see if there's something I can do to help because I'm stupid that way.

No I'm not making fun of you, but whatever problem you're trying to convey just isn't clear.

In fact, you previously have indicated that the problem is with inline fairing and your highlighted area is most definitely NOT an inline fairing. I see a regular fairing and I don't see anything unusual about it. No payload is sticking out of it, its diameter is flush with its base.

Comparing it with this image, I do see that the fairing looks smaller, but it can't possibly have the same payload or the payload would be sticking out of the top. Whatever you have under the fairing (in the last image) is clearly completely enclosed by it...

5BWjs4vl.jpg

Edited by Starwaster

I am confused, the top of the rocked used to be 3m long on the second picture it is only 1m long.

You didn't say it was the same rocket; it's best to state your problem as clearly as possible.

I don't know if pFairings has changed recently, but I don't expect a pFairing to appear transparent as in the first screenshot; I expect either a wireframe or a solid fairing depending on whether or not the side parts have been added. I appreciate it's a procedural fairing, but is it a Procedural Fairings procedural fairing?

Question: I haven't played since 0.90 - and now I see that procedural fairings are in the stock version. What is the difference between that in stock and in this mod?

For one thing, there's no relation between the two other than name. The Squad implementation are constructed section by section in the editor when designing your rocket.

They both will shield your parts.

The stock version adds too much mass to the point that the drag offset isn't worth the mass increase. (I patched mine locally so that they are more in line with real life fairing masses)

The stock version fragments into giant potato chip looking pieces and it's really ugly. (there is a plugin that makes them behave more like e-dog's)

- - - Updated - - -

http://imgur.com/uYRXU5D

are you making fun of me? I dont get it. I really love your work and appreciate it, but I can not use it if it is like that, did I miss something? I know that I am an idoit hwo cannot spell things :confused:

Just in case I didn't make this plain before (and someone else already answered touching on this)

but you don't have the same payloads. To be really blunt, you have (as you say) a 3m payload in one picture and that same payload is not present in the other picture.

These fairings conform to your payload unless you lock the fairing shape.

okay, maybe I have had this problem so often that it became so obvious to me whats wrong...

Somehow I expected that everybody else have the same problems

I will make it more clear with this picture hopefully:

BYyKOqD.png

Please just try the following:

tank

2 engines mounted on the surface of the tank

inline fairing mounted with the top (decoupler) node to the tank

tank

save

load

you should get the same result, if not I am a green sheep with blue skin

okay, maybe I have had this problem so often that it became so obvious to me whats wrong...

http://i.imgur.com/BYyKOqD.png

Please just try the following:

tank

2 engines mounted on the surface of the tank

inline fairing mounted with the top (decoupler) node to the tank

tank

save

load

you should get the same result, if not I am a green sheep with blue skin

Can you do it with just stock parts + Proc Fairing + Proc Parts? If so can you post a craft file demonstrating it?

is an okto probe core stock?

http://imgur.com/a/rQHBQ

(imgur messed up the order)

1: before loading only tank (the z-fighting is because I choose extra heigt for the fairing)

2: after loading with srb

3: before loading with srb

4: after loading only tank

i only used the procedural fairing and a procedural tank

and in the other picture a procedural srb (which have other bugs i found, i will explain if you like)

the only trick I did is changing the diameter/length and height offsets of everything as well as extra height

Edited by nablabla

I'm playing RO/RSS/RP-0 with all the required and suggested mods plus some recommended mods (including FASA and RN US Probe Pack). I've launched numerous rockets in this game, all using procedural fairings but all of a sudden the procedural fairings I've got on my rocket don't seem to be blocking atmospheric pressures. When I launch, about the time I hit 100m/s, I get a notice that, "Pioneer 10/11 Probe was ripped off by strong airflow." Since the probe in question is inside a closed fairing, this shouldn't be happening. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure what's going on (I don't use procedural parts) but I notice the lower fairing has also shifted between save and load.

I suggest that craft files for your second set of pictures would help.

attaching a procedural fairing attatching to a procedural tank or srb is buggy when loading. If something like an engine is in between everything is ok. but often I want to do the former.

Some month ago the game crashed when clicking on procedural SRBs now they are kind of usable but I think they are still work in progress.

1.) I found that if you add multiple procedural SRBs with different burn times, they somehow 'share a tank'. So it is not possible to add two similar sets of boosters with different burn times, they burn off equally.

2.) And also sometimes the nozzles have a weired offset, I do not know yet, when that happens.

this is the test craft file https://www.dropbox.com/s/vejrylps4h7fnih/test.craft?dl=0

Some month ago the game crashed when clicking on procedural SRBs now they are kind of usable but I think they are still work in progress.

1.) I found that if you add multiple procedural SRBs with different burn times, they somehow 'share a tank'. So it is not possible to add two similar sets of boosters with different burn times, they burn off equally.

2.) And also sometimes the nozzles have a weired offset, I do not know yet, when that happens.

Sounds more like a problem with Procedural Parts than Procedural Fairings.