[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

That's what I was thinking.  There are both sets though... egg/conic fairings that both decouple and don't, and interstate fairings that both do and don't decouple.  I think.. not at my PC.  I need to build bigger rockets.

17 hours ago, TK421d said:

im not having trouble with decouplers above myself, but i AM having trouble getting the actual fairings to recognize that its a decoupler ~ cant eject the shells, no staging enabled and cannot right-click in flight :(

I read your post and thought, "Yes, I'm seeing the same problem."

And then realized I'm using the STOCK fairings.  Maybe the problem's in KER and/or the game itself?

no, ive actually had to revert to stock or kw fairings because of it.

guys, im familiar with the PF parts, been using them since they were first introduced.

and yes, it is of course a mod-conflict issue.  i just have not been able to find out yet what mod it is.  i honestly wasnt asking for support, i just came to the thread looking to see if anyone else had been experiencing a similar issue to try and figure out where the conflict was.   if i (or someone else) happen to figure it out, i'll let you know what it was so you or the other auther knows.

for a little more info on exactly what i have happening:  the staging for the fairings are missing, and no toggle exists in the right-click menu, and in-flight the fairings/root both are not right-clickable to force a deployment.   things like the # of fairings, extra radius work as usual in the VAB

Edited by TK421d

@TK421d do you have KW with the community patches installed? I had some very strange issues in 1.0.5 with decouplers and those patches installed. So I opted not to use them last time. Try PF with those patches removed.

Ps: "TK421 why aren't you at your post" I had to do it, I just had to :)

Edited by V8jester

that can be easily done, i was just going through ckan seeing whats been updated and was about to get rid of my old pruned kw install and grab linux's all in one...

will update this post in a few minutes with the result: nope, not the culprit.

here is a SS of a simple craft with the missing staging

ceVolRx.jpg

Edited by TK421d

@TK421dyour "staging" issue can be replicated pretty easily, you just have to use the correct fairing type:

Spoiler

Initial sample craft:

<IMAGE REMOVED BY USER>

Correct sample craft:

<IMAGE REMOVED BY USER>

The fairing bases themselves do not do anything to decouple the side walls (nor they include any kind of payload decoupler).

Edited by Phineas Freak
Removed image links

3 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@TK421dyour "staging" issue can be replicated pretty easily, you just have to use the correct fairing type:

Reveal hidden contents

Initial sample craft:

pf_debug_02.png

Correct sample craft:pf_debug_03.png

The fairing bases themselves do not do anything to decouple the side walls (nor they include any kind of payload decoupler).

There is a fairing attached to the vehicle, so there should be a staging icon in the staging list. There is no staging icon. Ignore the fairing base tweekable.

There appears to be a bug where the Interstage fairing adapter locks you to the launch pad. I can swing the rocket like a pendulum on the launch pad and iif I swing too far the rocket will snap in half. When I removed it, the rocket lifted off just fine.

Edit: appears to be a problem with all fairings.

Edited by GreenGusTech

9 hours ago, dlrk said:

I'm getting stuck to the launchpad with procedural fairings, nothing in the log about it

A ksp.log, your .CRAFT file, and a screenshot might help. I don't have that problem.  So, your vessel might be a bit odd or something.

Edited by Apollo13

22 hours ago, TK421d said:

guys, im familiar with the PF parts, been using them since they were first introduced.

6 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

@softweirthe PF base is not the issue, the problem is that @TK421dis using the "Fuselage" sides (that don't decouple) instead of the "Fairing" ones.

He insists otherwise.

22 hours ago, Phineas Freak said:

Reveal hidden contents

Initial sample craft:

pf_debug_02.png

Correct sample craft:pf_debug_03.png

well dont i feel foolish now...

1 hour ago, softweir said:

He insists otherwise.

no, he was right.

I'm seeing this as well, but there does seem to be something relevant in the log: "It is illegal for a join to connect a rigid body to itself".

Seems to happen if I have a physics-less part attached to the fairing base (in my case, it was the RTShortAntenna1 from RemoteTech), or attached to something radial-attached. Turning off auto-stuts (or ejecting the fairing) releases the rocket.

So my guess is something in the auto-strut logic is following the part tree back through physics-less or radial attachments to find pick a rigid body, and manages to strut the fairing base to itself. The fairing base then becomes an immovable object, at least until the fairing is jettisoned and the auto-struts disconnect.

1 hour ago, puetzk said:

I'm seeing this as well, but there does seem to be something relevant in the log: "It is illegal for a join to connect a rigid body to itself".

Seems to happen if I have a physics-less part attached to the fairing base (in my case, it was the RTShortAntenna1 from RemoteTech), or attached to something radial-attached. Turning off auto-stuts (or ejecting the fairing) releases the rocket.

So my guess is something in the auto-strut logic is following the part tree back through physics-less or radial attachments to find pick a rigid body, and manages to strut the fairing base to itself. The fairing base then becomes an immovable object, at least until the fairing is jettisoned and the auto-struts disconnect.

I can confirm that

After doing some testing, I think this is a problem between KJR (possibly) and the auto strut feature. If I turned off auto strut on the fairings, the craft would fly normally and not be a stuck pendulum on the launch pad. In the Debug Console it will say "[Error]: It is illegal for a joint to connect to a rigid body to itself" Glad I'm not the only one having this issue, but like I said there is NOTHING wrong after I disable auto strut on the Procedural Fairing Base. 

-Forgot to mention, when auto strut was on, and the craft was stuck on the launch pad like a pendulum as mentioned in a different post, I could eject the fairings and the craft would launch normally. 

Edited by Porter_John

40 minutes ago, Porter_John said:

After doing some testing, I think this is a problem between KJR (possibly) and the auto strut feature.

I can tell you it has absolutely nothing to do with KJR.

Just now, razark said:

I can tell you it has absolutely nothing to do with KJR.

Yeah, wasn't 100% sure when I first posted, thought maybe it was a joint issue with the two at first. Later found that the only thing that changed the debug console was the auto strut. 

16 hours ago, Porter_John said:

After doing some testing, I think this is a problem between KJR (possibly) and the auto strut feature. If I turned off auto strut on the fairings, the craft would fly normally and not be a stuck pendulum on the launch pad. In the Debug Console it will say "[Error]: It is illegal for a joint to connect to a rigid body to itself" Glad I'm not the only one having this issue, but like I said there is NOTHING wrong after I disable auto strut on the Procedural Fairing Base. 

-Forgot to mention, when auto strut was on, and the craft was stuck on the launch pad like a pendulum as mentioned in a different post, I could eject the fairings and the craft would launch normally. 

I can also confirm this happening

Procedural Fairings cause vessel to stick toLaunchpad.  Vessel has TWR of 2.33 at launch.  I used launchclamps to lift vessel off launchpad.  Vessel remained stuck.  Removed PF shells in the VAB.  Launched perfectly.

I'm using KSP 1.1.1.  Perhaps PF is incompatible?  Though, it was fine with KSP 1.1

Edited by Apollo13

@Apollo13 Do you have struts inside your fairings ? Try to remove them or disable the auto-strut function of PF base.

You're not the only one to have this issue, see my previous post about it :

Edited by Li0n