[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

On 24/11/2016 at 8:11 PM, Phineas Freak said:

@KortexM, @Falcon Coupe these are "virtual" parts to indicate on the tech tree that there is an upgrade. Normally they are hidden but when you apply a filter (either by stock or by FilterExtensions) they show up as normal parts (they are NOT!).

MechJeb upgrades also operate with the same principle.

Also, @KortexM: can you create a PR with the fixed normal maps to the main PFFE repository?

Thanks, good to know. I didn't think of FE at all.

3 hours ago, Dodovogel said:

I wanted to say that I do experience the same symptoms as @VonFrank but in my case I think it really is due to PF auto-strutting. 

Generally speaking it happens to me with heavy rockets, typically my interstage breaks the link with the engines (setup is: Interstage top node connects to fuel tank node and the engines are attached to the tank using surface attachment) and the fairing walls break off the interstage adapter. I long though it is a 'squeezing' issue so I tried all possible ways to to strengthen the connections with struts or give the parts more clearance.

When I turn PF auto struts off, it usually fixes the issue. Another thing I observed is that when I play with stock auto struts, the point where the break occurs can change. But usually it breaks somewhere; latest, once the rocket starts accelerating.

Having your rocket stable and not wobbling is most important. I use the newly stock autostrut and rigid attachment options for that and it helps a lot, plus mandatory launch clamps.
Here is an old craft, a 300t lifter test craft which i built in 1.0.5, i used to have a wood of struts back then to keep it together at all.
Now it's pretty clean and it works (well, not easy to fly but hey): https://www.dropbox.com/s/5kaq8jvtwdfr2t2/Lifter Heavy 250 Test Ic 300.craft?dl=1

uPMGsmo.png

4 hours ago, Dodovogel said:

Further I observed another issue which I believe is not connected to the breaking of structural connections. I had a rocket with multiple PF interstages and when loading up on the launch pad the shielding works as expected. Parts shielded counts also seem right. When flying nothing changes about this until I decouple the first interstage. Then suddenly I get aerodynamic problems. The aero overlay suggests that the remaining fairings stopped shielding as there is huge drag forces applied to the inside parts and the 'parts shielded' count reads 0 for all remaining fairing bases - despite their fairings still being in place.

THAT is actually serious, will check!

1 hour ago, KortexM said:

Having your rocket stable and not wobbling is most important. I use the newly stock autostrut and rigid attachment options for that and it helps a lot, plus mandatory launch clamps.
Here is an old craft, a 300t lifter test craft which i built in 1.0.5, i used to have a wood of struts back then to keep it together at all.
Now it's pretty clean and it works (well, not easy to fly but hey): https://www.dropbox.com/s/5kaq8jvtwdfr2t2/Lifter Heavy 250 Test Ic 300.craft?dl=1

uPMGsmo.png

Well there is something off with PF in this situation. I created a stock craft (no mods except PF and MM) that will break on the launchpad for me (check F3 Report) and I think it should not do that. When I turn PF auto struts OFF it does not break.

Craft file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2tCogndf1O1VW9JYmoteTFtR2c/view?usp=sharing

1 hour ago, KortexM said:

THAT is actually serious, will check!

I am still not able to reliably reproduce this issue. I have the problem occurring with a rocket in a very modded install. I am not sure if PF is to blame for it. Just wondered if someone else had this problem too. I will continue to try and reproduce it in stock + MM + PF.

Ok so I spent 2 hours testing the issue and it is obscure. I can not reliably recreate it but I do experience it repeatedly.

The only constant is: some staging event happens, i.e. some part of the ship detaches. Then it is not clear what needs to happen but under certain circumstances some or all Interstage Fairing Adapters on the ship lose their shielding ability even though visually they are still shielding their payload perfectly. There is nothing in the KSP.log or the Console that distinguishes this from situations when it does not happen.

Other things to note:

- It did happen on the Stock+MM+PF install as well but much less.

- The vessel consists only of Interstage Fairing Adapters with Conic Fuselage Fairings, the rest are stock rocket parts.

- I *think* some collision event may be responsible for triggering the problem. The collision does not necessarily happen at the fairing or the adapter.

- I also think that it might be a runtime issue, which is what makes it hard to recreate. I observed that more complex crafts tend to be more prone to the problem and the problem tends to appear more often when I launched and reverted several times before. Perhaps something to do with some update occurring too slow or some event being undetected because of a skipped cycle in the physics engine? My computer is relatively old, KSP runs ok though. I have no idea how KSP and this mod work internally. Just speculating.

I wish I could provide a more specific report but that's all I got. Perhaps somebody else will notice this issue too and provide new insights.

I have a heavy modded install, but since others are having the same structural issue with the fairings, I thought it would be wise to share the log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58212317/KSP (10).log

might be helpful to find what could be causing it... at one point I had my rocket all weirded out floating above the pad during physics loading, I was only able to launch a rocket when I told the fairings to autostrut, then everything went smoothly

18 hours ago, JoseEduardo said:

I have a heavy modded install, but since others are having the same structural issue with the fairings, I thought it would be wise to share the log: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58212317/KSP (10).log

might be helpful to find what could be causing it... at one point I had my rocket all weirded out floating above the pad during physics loading, I was only able to launch a rocket when I told the fairings to autostrut, then everything went smoothly

Yes the stock autostrut heps a lot.
I am aware that issues exist with interstage adapter - i tried several ways to make the fairing autostruts more robust but in the end the new stock autostrut option works best somehow. The "normal" fairings should do well with fairing autostruts alone.

Example has 170tons above the interstage, now it's rock solid:

wP6oeCh.png

Additionally you might try the following build, it fixes some things,

• Modified Fairing Autostruts (removed autostrut from heaviest shielded part to top part, would break too weak joints under certain circumstances)
  • Fixed NRE when switching to vessel/timewarping..
  • "Shielded Parts" number display should now work correctly in editor 

Download test build here (dll only, copy into GameData/ProceduralFairings folder): https://www.dropbox.com/s/phujorrj357w3hk/ProceduralFairings.dll?dl=1

On 12/1/2016 at 7:40 PM, KortexM said:

Yes the stock autostrut heps a lot.
I am aware that issues exist with interstage adapter - i tried several ways to make the fairing autostruts more robust but in the end the new stock autostrut option works best somehow. The "normal" fairings should do well with fairing autostruts alone.

Example has 170tons above the interstage, now it's rock solid:

wP6oeCh.png

I recommend using ridged attachment as well.

As of a feature request, could we get this mod to have inside optional trusses like the stock fairings?

2 hours ago, Ruedii said:

As of a feature request, could we get this mod to have inside optional trusses like the stock fairings?

And if they could be surface attachable you'll win KSP sir. :cool:

On 12/10/2016 at 4:03 AM, Li0n said:

And if they could be surface attachable you'll win KSP sir. :cool:

They should be automatic generating, but it would be nice to have an truss structure you could actually attach things to (especially parachutes or RCS nozzles) for an improvement over stock. 

Also, having it adjustable in size would be really good. (Auto adjust as an option, as well as tweakable manual adjustment.)

Yes, that would be great! 

Edited by Ruedii
MOAR ideas!

@e-dog @OtherBarry I'm experiencing a bug where procedural fairing rings (all types) placed under a procedural stack decoupler will offset further and further below it each time the craft is loaded in the VAB.

Edit: This happens with all Procedural Parts parts, not just decouplers. I'm gonna guess PParts needs to be recompiled for 1.2.2?

a09e133ecc.png

Edited by Guest

On 21.12.2016 at 0:07 AM, String Witch said:

I'm experiencing a bug where procedural fairing rings (all types) placed under a procedural stack decoupler will offset further and further below it each time the craft is loaded in the VAB.

Edit: This happens with all Procedural Parts parts, not just decouplers. I'm gonna guess PParts needs to be recompiled for 1.2.2?

Nice find!

Interaction with Procedural Parts was broken, it looks like an old bug.
think it is working now (strange: on one point i had to remove/delete the fairing base from craft and re-add it to have it stay in position). 

Download 3.20b2 test build here (dll only, copy into GameData/ProceduralFairings folder): https://www.dropbox.com/s/phujorrj357w3hk/ProceduralFairings.dll?dl=1

• 2 weeks later...

now,. i'm having trouble with my fairings, i keep getting one side falling off before liftoff. even tried struts...

it says "structural failure between fairing and fairing base ring"

Edited by Commissar

On 1/16/2017 at 10:21 AM, Phineas Freak said:

@dave1904 these are extra attachment nodes like the ones found in the stock fairing bases. Right click on the PF base and you will find an option to enable or disable them.

I know that, I would love to know what people use them for. It would be handy if they separated when the fairing opened. 

I too am experiencing the interstage fairing having structural failures both in flight and when loading onto the pad. Disabling fairing auto-strut does seem to fix it, but... Not sure ill need that down the road when it comes time for a heavy upper stage.             LOG              output_log           Mod List               Edit: With KJR do i even need the fairing auto-strut feature? Because if it works with it off then its fine. I just dont want that to bite me in the butt later down the line.

Edited by Motokid600

On 16.01.2017 at 2:21 PM, Phineas Freak said:

@dave1904 these are extra attachment nodes like the ones found in the stock fairing bases. Right click on the PF base and you will find an option to enable or disable them (Interstage Nodes).

Would be cool if those extra nodes were disabled by default. I mean - there's not much sense in using them anyway, because stuff floating inside the fairing does not seems very ... realistic or aesthetic.

Can default on /off this feature be in config? I would really appreciate that.

Also, @KortexM, @e-dog would be cool to have default ejection torque in config - ejection look way more cool if ejection torque set to 0.1 instead of default 0.01. I do it manually, but have to do it for every single fairing.

Anyway, thanks for this brilliant mod   

@evileye.x I think that the following MM patch will do what you are looking for:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[KzNodeNumberTweaker]]:NEEDS[ProceduralFairings]
{
    @MODULE[KzNodeNumberTweaker]
    {
        %showInterstageNodes = False
    }
}

Make sure that you use a valid MM pass (FINAL will do for personal patches).

Edited by Phineas Freak