[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

Check mulbin's munbug :P (i also worked on a solution for my own saturn V design, but the game don't like that we add elements inside fairings after we built the fairings - ends up generally by making the payload stick to the fairing instead of the rocket, in case of stock fairings.)

In my case, i connect the docking port of my LM to the inverted 2.5-1.25 adaptor and then i put a 2.5m stack seperator so that in can dump it after i docked my CSM with LM.

I have set custom action group to undock the LM from the adpator and decouple the fairing around the LM.

so basically i'm not use decouple to seperate the CSM & LM.

Shot5003.jpg

The csm is supposed to be carried only by the fairings on the S-IVB :) no link between the csm and the lander :) - when the fairings detach, the csm was just floating away from the lander - so they just needed to turn around and pick the lander :)
Unfortunately KSP doesn't currently support parts not being connected at this time, so we have to make do.....

My stock apollo replica has no conection at all between the csm and lander. The csm is supported by the fairing as with the real thing, so when you jettison the fairing the csm is free floating with no debris in between. Ksp only has limits until you work out how to do something ;)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/28073-Accurate-Apollo-Replica-Munbug-X-Saturn-V-CSM-Lander-Buggy-and-A-L-S-E-P?highlight=mulbin

Edited by Mulbin

In my case, i connect the docking port of my LM to the inverted 2.5-1.25 adaptor and then i put a 2.5m stack seperator so that in can dump it after i docked my CSM with LM.

You may have solved my problem, here - though it will be a couple days before I can test it. I was having some problems at that point of the mission profile. I'll post pics if I can't sort it out.

No, adding nodes at key-press won't work - you won't be able to load saved .craft file.

Thanks for the info. I will have to dream about a six-sided fairing base for one-day. This post explains why! :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/showthread.php/37707-0-21-Magic-Smoke-Industries-Parts-Infernal-Robotics-0-8a?p=642527&viewfull=1#post642527

I have an idea. Could you add a fairing side that would look like a Soviet-style grid decoupler? It'd be useful for the procedural interstages, if you wanted to make a Soviet-style rocket. Also, would that be possible to make swappable textures for the fairings?

What I'd like to see is the ability to radially attach stuff to the sides of the fairing walls when used with the interstage piece. This makes it easier to add cubic girders as anchor points for struts, RCS thrusters, etc.

What I'd like to see is the ability to radially attach stuff to the sides of the fairing walls when used with the interstage piece. This makes it easier to add cubic girders as anchor points for struts, RCS thrusters, etc.

you cant already? confusion.... do fairings behave different than normal on interstage?

you cant already? confusion.... do fairings behave different than normal on interstage?

I've had trouble when using the interstage with fairing walls and attaching things radially -- I can usually only get them to connect right at the base and not higher up. With the regular fairing bases it's been less of an issue.

OK, what I was originally doing was putting a 3.5m fairing base below my LM, an inverted 2.5m fairing base above it, and then the interstage on top to provide fairings around the CSM engine (for some reason, the decoupler wasn't sheathing the Service Propulsion System engine I was using). For some reason, this wasn't working - blowing the fairings would separate the CSM engine from the LM payload stage - but the fairing bases would stay attached to the LM... which was now unmanned and uncontrollable. I checked all my staging and there were no errors.

So, this time I considered just putting the CSM engine against the LM docking port, to decouple manually after blowing the fairings. This way, I only need to use an interstage fairing at the base (because a regular fairing will cover the command module completely - including the escape tower!). The only problem I have now is that the interstage fairing sides are a straight slope from the base to the top radius - meaning the lander that would fit inside a 3.5m cylinder clips through the fairing walls about halfway up.

What I need is a fairing wall that goes straight up for most of the way, then tapers to the smaller diameter. I'm sure such parts exist in a variety of mods like KW, NP and AIES - but of course I deleted those parts for space on the conventional wisdom that PF can do all that by itself. Perhaps it can - but if so, could anyone please tell me exactly how?

HeadHunter67, I think you'll need multiple pieces for that. The fairing bases don't have a built-in decoupler, so that might explain some of the problems you're having.

What I've done in the past is this:

(from the top->down)

* Command Module

* Fuel, things, stuff

* Inverted fairing base with fuel crossfeed enabled

* Engine

* Upwards-facing docking port that sits on top of the lander module

* Lander module

* Decoupler

* Fairing base

Attach fairing sides to the bottom fairing base and adjust the radius. You should be able to get that "straight-up-then-inwards" shape.

This is a bit of a severe example due to the width of the lander, but the above construction order was used for this rocket:

(and here's the full album so you can see the interior)

jpuZn6z.jpg

Thanks for the advice and the pictures. If I'm understanding this, you have an inverted fairing base as part of the structure of your command/service module? In other words, it's an integrated part that isn't discarded. I'm not sure I want that, as I'm trying to go for an authentic look to the CSM, but I'll experiment with it.

As for the fairing dimension, I don't want to bulge it out beyond the normal 3.5m diameter of the rocket just to accommodate the lack of a slope on the fairing. If I could just get 3.5m walls that went straight up from the interstage base and then sloped in at a given point, that would work fine. Using the R key doesn't seem to adjust anything on an interstage base - the N is for the bottom radius and Y for the top. I wonder if it might be possible in future versions for a hotkey to adjust the point at which the fairing slopes inward.

[EDIT: In the meantime, I tried your suggestion and it appears to work in terms of allowing adjustment of the point at which the fairing begins its slope. With the standard fairing ring on the CSM, it doesn't even look too bad! Thanks for the suggestion. Now we'll see how it works in flight.]

Edited by HeadHunter67

is it possible to create a fairing on the base and then attach it something else, like a truss or hinge? i cannot get the node to attach after shaping the fairing.

Edit ok i know its possible now bc several have done this, but i cannot get them to attach to anything but the base.

Edit #2 the guys over in MSI helped me figure it out.

Edited by viperwolf