[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

do you mean the walls weren't generated in the vehicle assembly building?

Yep. I placed the base, placed the fairing, and it just stayed in it's default shape.

Do you see any blue lines coming up from the fairing base? A screenshot of what you're seeing would be helpful.

It's possible the parts were installed but the plugin isn't working or installed properly...

Yep. I placed the base, placed the fairing, and it just stayed in it's default shape.

I've seen that bug before. Try pulling the payload out and replacing it. Also try adjusting the size of the payload substantially and putting the fairings in.

If none of that works, reloading the vessel, and finally reloading the game should fix it.

Else, just as Tallinu said. Screenies and more info.

would it be possible for you to make the fairing bases procedural, such as in swamp_ig's procedural parts mod? or is this a bit out of your scope?

would it be possible for you to make the fairing bases procedural, such as in swamp_ig's procedural parts mod? or is this a bit out of your scope?

If you want to compress all the fairings down to a single part, it might actually be better to go the route of stupid_chris' NRAP and Gaius' Goodspeed Aerospace Parts and make one part that is tweakable in size. Which would actually be awesome. I'm all for reducing part clutter in the VAB and SPH.

I had an epiphany...what's stopping you from adding procedural sizing to any part? I tried it out with one of the stock spotlights, because I really wanted to be able to adjust the size as they're awfully big for some applications (having resized clones cluttering up the parts list I would like to avoid.) So I added the procedural fairing adapter to the part config and this is the result:

y9hQ7Ze.jpg

Unfortunately, surface mounted parts end up floating when shrunk and clipping when increased. But it's a start. Now if the resized model could adjust itself to stay based on the attachment point.

If you want to compress all the fairings down to a single part, it might actually be better to go the route of stupid_chris' NRAP and Gaius' Goodspeed Aerospace Parts and make one part that is tweakable in size. Which would actually be awesome. I'm all for reducing part clutter in the VAB and SPH.

You can literally do this already if you really wanted to. Delete all the other fairing bases except the one you want to use (I would recommend the low profile 1.25 meter) and add the following code to the part config:

MODULE
{
name = ProceduralFairingAdapter
baseRadius=0.575
topRadius =0.575
height=1
specificMass=0.263
specificBreakingForce =6050
specificBreakingTorque=6050
}

Is it possible to make an interstate fairing with an open top? E.g. for a Saturn-V-style Lunar Module fairing with which you can dock without having to discard in-the-way decouplers?

It is with the procedural fairing base. You can also put one between the tank and engine that decouples above it, which I didn't do with this design until i thought of it later. This way, there are no decouplers getting in the way.

2Yapn4D.jpg

Linked to this earlier, but it got passed over. TweakScale is a plugin that allows parts to be rescaled on the fly in the VAB. I believe the author is allowing others distributive use. Basically means you only have one part in the VAB, rather than multiple.

Sweet, thanks!

It looks like all you need to do with TweakScale is slap the TweakScale module on a part. ... Does that actually work?

How do we turn the auto-struts option on?

I'd also love to see an answer to this. I've never seen auto-struts work. I've made sure they were active but tall non-rigid (what the heck is a rigid body in this game?) payloads still have a habit of popping-out of the fairings. The only thing that works is actually finagling the camera into the fairings and adding struts myself. Sometimes even that doesn't work.

Edited by phoenix_ca

What I do is place just one fairing (ie with symmetry off), add manual struts as need be with the start of each strut on the fairing and the end on the payload, then when that is done I take the fairing off, turn symmetry back on and pop it back in place.

I just upgraded to the latest version of procedural fairings. I notice that some values snap from 0 to a large non-zero number. For instance "extra height". I want to have a very small amount of extra height, eg 0.05. In the past, all values were smoothly sliceable from 0 to a large number, but this doesn't seem to be the case with the new UI. Is there a workaround for this?

I just upgraded to the latest version of procedural fairings. I notice that some values snap from 0 to a large non-zero number. For instance "extra height". I want to have a very small amount of extra height, eg 0.05. In the past, all values were smoothly sliceable from 0 to a large number, but this doesn't seem to be the case with the new UI. Is there a workaround for this?

Holding down the keys while mousing over the part itself and moving the mouse works. It's something weird with how the tweakable interface works.

Holding down the keys while mousing over the part itself and moving the mouse works. It's something weird with how the tweakable interface works.

THANK YOU! I'm using RSS, and it doesn't let you do that for the procedural tanks anymore, and I guess I just didn't try with the fairings.

It's not exactly a bug but I noticed one really funny thing involving the mod. If you have debris from a fairing on the ground, such as from a crashed plane which my KSC is littered with, when you view them from a certain distance away the fairings explode in size. My KSC looks like it's littered with crashed blimps due to all these gigantic fairings littering the ground.

It's not exactly a bug but I noticed one really funny thing involving the mod. If you have debris from a fairing on the ground, such as from a crashed plane which my KSC is littered with, when you view them from a certain distance away the fairings explode in size. My KSC looks like it's littered with crashed blimps due to all these gigantic fairings littering the ground.

I once saw one streak past my ship 50 meters away. Just a bit of space flotsam up in orbit for years.

Very scary thing to see that close to my nice new ship.

Is anyone having a bug using procedural fairing at the moment? Using 23.5 and I have a lot of mods installed but at least in repeating the bug i've narrowed it down to procedural fairings. When launching a ship, my camera always moves to the centre of mass, so during launch the camera should stay at com however when I've used a procedural fairing, my camera slowly nudges down lower and lower along the craft as its accelerating though the atmosphere until it's at the point where I completely loose the ship and can no longer see it, so I try and go to space centre and back to the vessel which fixes it, however if I try eva-ing on a craft after this issue has happened, even after switching to the space centre and back again, the kerbal just totally disappears and the screen goes black, and I can't exit, so I ctrl alt delete quit ksp relaunch but the kerbal isn't on the vessel nor on the map, though once I did get "Jebediah debris" which was really weird.... As I said, I have a lot of mods but when I try the exact same craft minus the proc fairing, it works fine. I am also using the additional different textured fairings if that helps (Not sure what they are named, I generally download all my mods in one go and I end up with a lot of rars and they arent all named such that I can easily find the right one. Thanks for your thoughts.

Is anyone having a bug using procedural fairing at the moment? Using 23.5 and I have a lot of mods installed but at least in repeating the bug i've narrowed it down to procedural fairings. When launching a ship, my camera always moves to the centre of mass, so during launch the camera should stay at com however when I've used a procedural fairing, my camera slowly nudges down lower and lower along the craft as its accelerating though the atmosphere until it's at the point where I completely loose the ship and can no longer see it, so I try and go to space centre and back to the vessel which fixes it, however if I try eva-ing on a craft after this issue has happened, even after switching to the space centre and back again, the kerbal just totally disappears and the screen goes black, and I can't exit, so I ctrl alt delete quit ksp relaunch but the kerbal isn't on the vessel nor on the map, though once I did get "Jebediah debris" which was really weird.... As I said, I have a lot of mods but when I try the exact same craft minus the proc fairing, it works fine. I am also using the additional different textured fairings if that helps (Not sure what they are named, I generally download all my mods in one go and I end up with a lot of rars and they arent all named such that I can easily find the right one. Thanks for your thoughts.

I've never seen that with PF. I have seen it with other parts.

I recommend starting a new game and seeing if it still happens. New save, new craft, etc.

I've been experiencing a bug with procedural fairings. The fairings no longer having a separation prompt: No autostaging item is created, nor is there an option to separate the part(s) through the context menu. It's kind of a pain in the butt, to be honest. Might be a conflict with another mod, such as procedural wings, but I haven't been able to isolate it yet.