[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

This is a picture of the weird "feature" I posted about last.

W48A5am.png

Those fairings when they were installed on the plane that had crashed there were small, about the same size as the fairings on the plane pictured that add the cones to the back of the engine nacelles. For whatever reason discarded fairings look enormous regardless of how big they used to be. It's kind of hilarious.

Note: I'm not complaining about this or thinking it needs to be fixed or something. I just find it really funny

That's pretty hilarious. I guess it'd only happen if you discard the fairings so that they can fall to Kerbin while still doing...physics things. What the hell is the right word...physics...things...screw it.

I'd wager if you lose the fairings high enough that they go on rails they'll just be chucked like everything else on rails low in atmo.

I suppose you could say it's a byproduct of experiments with new NERVA engines. Accidental irradiation of fairings causing blimp-like effects.

Well actually the weird part is they only look like that from far away. When you get close they shrink back to normal. They just pop up and shrink back down based on proximity.

I think it may be related to the fact that they are fuselage pieces removed due to a violent crash and not fairing pieces discarded through staging.

are you sure you're using the fairings and not the shrouds? Shrouds don't jettison

Possibly. I just checked, and... that was, in fact the problem. Well I feel stupid now, here I was complaining that I had to go into Structural for fairings, where they belonged in aerodynamic.

How hard would it be to make the fairings transparent in the VAB? Or is that already possible?

Not exactly what you want, but if you hover over the fairings in the stage list with this, they are partially transparent.

question, can we get some sort of function to switch between different fairing textures with the click of a cursor, instead of having dozens of separate parts for different fairing textures.

Sounds like the perfect job for FSTextureSwitcher. (comes with the Firespitter plugin)

In fact, I kind of assumed already that's how Blackheart's textures were being used with the fairings....? (I don't actually use them right now so it's just a guess)

ok, just a minor problem here, regarding planetary scale fairing adapters..

Xt1sbTd.jpg

EDIT: never mind I can use N to control it normally, just the proceedural slider that broke.. massively XD

Edited by pingopete

Sounds like the perfect job for FSTextureSwitcher. (comes with the Firespitter plugin)

In fact, I kind of assumed already that's how Blackheart's textures were being used with the fairings....? (I don't actually use them right now so it's just a guess)

No each texture is a separate part right now.

ok, just a minor problem here, regarding planetary scale fairing adapters..

http://i.imgur.com/Xt1sbTd.jpg

EDIT: never mind I can use N to control it normally, just the proceedural slider that broke.. massively XD

Wow, did the Kerbal engineers divide by zero again?

Ive just moved to linux so I can play with more ram and now my fairing parts dont show up, in the VAB , they do on the loading scrren but they are missing, they have always worked in windows, anyone know why this is , ive tried google and can find nothing ???

If a mod works in Windows but not in Linux, check the case of the folders - Linux has case sensitivity in directories and filenames, Windows doesn't. Beyond that, ask on the Linux thread.

Why must the interstage rings be limited to 5m? My RSS Saturn 5 feels pathetic without fairings to cover up its stages .

Next update will have resizable bases, and the current ones will be deprecated.

If a mod works in Windows but not in Linux, check the case of the folders - Linux has case sensitivity in directories and filenames, Windows doesn't. Beyond that, ask on the Linux thread.

Any idea how I find out the correct case for the folder name ?

Any idea how I find out the correct case for the folder name ?

I think the URLs specified in the configs should match the file system, like these ones in adapter.cfg:

MODEL
{
model = Keramzit/ProceduralFairings/baseRingModel
texture = baseRingTex, Keramzit/ProceduralFairings/blackRingTex
scale = 1, 1, 1
}

Note that KSP URLs are relative to the GameData folder.

Thank you! I've have the file in front of me in Blender. Now I'll try to figure out what to do next. Ehm ... just export as .dae and import with parttools in Unity I assume?

Unity can import .blend files directly, so just put it in the folder with Unity project. Then proceed as usual with the parts: create empty object, assign part tools script to it, attach imported model to it and set it up (shader, texture, collider etc.)

Updated to 3.00, major overhaul, download and source is on GitHub now since Spaceport is going down soon.

• Moved files up to GameData folder (no Keramzit folder anymore). Make sure to delete old mod before installing (which is a good practice anyway).
  • Added new resizable fairing bases with configurable number of side nodes.
  • Old parts (bases and adapter) are deprecated. Launched vessels should be fine, but you might have trouble loading old designs in VAB/SPH in career mode.
  • Added new part: Thrust Plate Multi-Adapter.
  • Using KSPAPIExtensions by Swamp-Ig for better tweakables.
  • Removed old keyboard-based tweaks - use new tweakables.
  • Tweaking outer diameter (with fairings), instead of inner radius.
  • Added fairing decoupler torque tweakable.
  • Side nodes (for attaching fairings) get larger with the base size to make them more sturdy in KSP 0.23.5+
  • Tech limits are not checked in sandbox mode anymore.
  • Extra payload radius is now zero by default.
  • Fixed interstage adapter decoupling with fuselage fairings.

What does that mean? No more fairings getting pushed-out only by the base nodes and the tips staying in the way of a craft?

Exactly. Using this feature the jettison process can look much cooler :cool:

I've noted one (two) issues with this update:

1) I've deleted the old version of this mod and installed the new one. Then I researched the new parts in the research center. Well, I wanted to... Only the interstage fairing adapter and the thrusterplate were shown as new and researchable parts. The two different "normal" fairing bases could not be found in the tech tree. Instead I only found the old versions of this bases in the tech tree. Because of this I wasn't able to use the new fairing bases in the VHB. The parts showed in the part list, but unresearched and therefore not usable.

2) As you've already mentioned it in the changelog, crafts created with the old mod are no longer able to be loaded in the editor. Is there a convenient way to chance those craft to make them loadable again? The only solution I could think about was to edit all this crafts with the old version of the mod, delete all fairing parts and temporally stick them together without the fairings. After saving and updating the mod the fairings could be recreated by the new mod version. But I would really like to have an easier way to do this because if have some crafts that are using the fairings in a rather complicated way and my solution would be really cumbersome.