[1.2] Procedural Fairings 3.20 (November 8)

e-dog

No. what he means is a model with hollow collider in the mid of the interstage adapter so that the engine thrust will not be "absorbed" by it. i.e. if you decouple the lower stage with a decoupler and still have an interstage adapter attached to the bottom of the upper stage engine (in other words, two-plane separation), it won't stop the upper stage from accelerating to get away from the lower stage.

That's a very specific design (attaching to the bottom of the engine that is probably thrust-vectored etc.) which is better off in a separate mod. My adapter isn't hollow in the middle.

procedural structural parts would be even better.

girders, struts, panels, beams....

we have several procedural tanks, srb's, fairings, wings... but still no structurals?

oooh the things i'd build...

Try to remember that there is a limit to how much can be done. Fairings (not to diminish the work done here, because this mod is awesome) are actually very easy, because they don't vary much in terms of texture or general shape. The shape is much more easily defined by math and logic than an engine would be. It makes sense to define them not in hard-coded terms but in mathematical ones. To define an engine like that, you'd likely find that to get an engine that actually looked the part nicely would take-up just as many resources. Though engine bells might be an easier target, who knows. It's kinda like art though. Vector graphics (which are defined mathematically) are great, until what you actually want is a high-detail photograph. Then raster data wins out. And I'm rambling.

Now, engines that maintain their unique models but are tweakable in size (and adjust their thrust and fuel consumption accordingly), that's quite doable. Biotronic has been extending Gaius' TweakScale to do that and more these past few weeks. https://github.com/Biotronic/GoodspeedTweakScale

Edited by phoenix_ca

Is there any way of knowing parts names that where deleted and added? For modifying the tree file I have installed.

All old part configs are in ProceduralFairings/deprecated folder.

Pretty soon we'll have procedural engines right? RIGHT?

Not from me. I don't like the idea of procedural engines. They are complicated pieces of machinery, developed for a long time with a lot of testing and then used for decades. If you look at SpaceX, for example, they don't have a lot of different engines. The same is true for Russian rockets and others.

Somebody asked this a while ago. Would it be possible to get the mission flag as a tweakable on the fairings?

I wanted to do it at first, but than I had a better idea. What about separate mod that allows to attach flag decal anywhere? I think it might be possible, need to investigate.

Does anyone else have problems with fairing separation? Whenever I separate it seems like the fairings are swinging hard to the side rather then outwards. It hasn't destroyed anything yet, but its a drag having to "shake" off the fairings after separation

EDIT: Alright it seems to be happening when the I strut the inside of the fairing sides (for example strut the payload to the fairing side). This wasn't an issue before, so I'm guess its bug. It happens every time I add any struts to the inside of the fairings, so its very reproducible.

Edited by Sokar408

EDIT: Alright it seems to be happening when the I strut the inside of the fairing sides (for example strut the payload to the fairing side). This wasn't an issue before, so I'm guess its bug. It happens every time I add any struts to the inside of the fairings, so its very reproducible.

Strutting fairings has caused plenty of problems in the past, so you might just be lucky before.

Strutting fairings has caused plenty of problems in the past, so you might just be lucky before.

Yea I just noticed something interesting. It seems to be depend on either 1. What part the strut is attached to besides the fairing (generator in KSPI mod seem to cause it all the time), or 2. Where on the fairing side its attached. Which I'm not aware of yet, but its good to know that there are workarounds

How easy/hard would it be to make a KW version of this? (i.e fairing bases that look like the KW ones) Is it just a matter of copying over the model and texture, or is it a bit more involved?

This update interferes with the Procedural Parts mod making it unusable (can't resize). The culprit seems to be KSPAPIExtensions.dll, PF uses a newer version than PP. Replacing the older version with the newer version that comes with PF does not resolve the issue. Apparently the new version of KSPAPIExtensions.dll is not backwards compatible.

The other way around restores functionality of PP but causes problems with PF.

Btw is KSPAPIExtensions not the sort of dll of which we'd want/need only one in our KSP installation, and which would perhaps better reside in \gamedata\ instead of in part/mod subdirs?

This update interferes with the Procedural Parts mod making it unusable (can't resize). The culprit seems to be KSPAPIExtensions.dll, PF uses a newer version than PP. Replacing the older version with the newer version that comes with PF does not resolve the issue. Apparently the new version of KSPAPIExtensions.dll is not backwards compatible.

The other way around restores functionality of PP but causes problems with PF.

Btw is KSPAPIExtensions not the sort of dll of which we'd want/need only one in our KSP installation, and which would perhaps better reside in \gamedata\ instead of in part/mod subdirs?

I have the newest version of both PP and PF installed and I don't have this problem. Perhaps your version of PP is outdated?

I have the newest version of both PP and PF installed and I don't have this problem. Perhaps your version of PP is outdated?

I concur, I too have both mods installed (And lots of others) without issue.

How easy/hard would it be to make a KW version of this? (i.e fairing bases that look like the KW ones) Is it just a matter of copying over the model and texture, or is it a bit more involved?

With the previous version blackheart612 created just that; I have not tested it with PF 3.0 yet.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/68892-0-23-StretchySRB-Texture-Pack-KW-Procedural-Fairings-March18

There was a bug in KSPAPIExtensions, I'll update it soon.

Custom fairing bases are possible, you need to replace models and adjust scale and node positions. Maybe model offset too. All doable via cfg.

And I don't have Procedural Parts and I still can't resize.

Can't resize how? No tweakables when you right-click the part? Or what?

Did you remove the old version? Are you using KSP 0.23.5?

Can't resize how? No tweakables when you right-click the part? Or what?

Did you remove the old version? Are you using KSP 0.23.5?

There is a tweakable, but clicking the arrows does nothing. I'm all up to date. I deleted the old folder before updating.

There is a tweakable, but clicking the arrows does nothing. I'm all up to date. I deleted the old folder before updating.

Any chance it's career mode and you just unlocked it in Flight Control, but no Aerodynamics yet?

Yup, i had forgotten i had not updated to the latest PP with procedural heatshields. It works now.

Any chance it's career mode and you just unlocked it in Flight Control, but no Aerodynamics yet?

Oh is that how it works? That's pretty cool.

Could you post that info in the first post? Which tech nodes do I need to max out the sizes?

I wanted to do it at first, but than I had a better idea. What about separate mod that allows to attach flag decal anywhere? I think it might be possible, need to investigate.

I think that would be absolutely fantastic.